GTA4

GTA4 - how does it rate?

• Total voters
Why is it night time 3/4rds of the day?

Seriously. It's like 20 hours of night and maybe 4 of day light.

And you can't see anything at night. I'm left wandering around hoping I run into the door by accident in order to find my way out. At least DOOM III gave you the option of a flashlight!

I also don't really know what all the positive reviews about graphics or physic models in this game are about.

Sure, I haven't played GTAIII in years and I haven't played any other last gen game in just as long and this is my first 'next' gen game.

But it looks and feels exactly how I remember GTAIII. Except the draw distance is significantly improved.

I'm sure if I compared GTAIII with GTAIV I'd be instantly amazed, but going purely on memory, everything looks and feels very similar.

Not that that's good or bad. It's just GTA. You start the game completely enthralled, you fight with some parts of the game mechanics and then eventually say 'Yeah.. that was fun, I guess.'

I haven't noticed it being night time disproportionately...nor do I have trouble seeing at night.

Which version do you have? I've heard people complain about the default calibrations on the PS3 version, did you adjust brightness?

I'm 20 hours in now. Haven't finished it. But I know that this game is at a 10.

Even if whatever it is I have not yet finished of the game is not as good as what I have already played, it's still a 10 compared to other games out there. And so far it just keeps getting better and better.

Of course I'm not completely happy with the graphical issues. But then I can't think of a single game that I didn't have graphics issues with. Given the hardwares limitations, the visuals get the job done and then some so I wouldnt detract points over it.

I have the 360 version.

It's seriously never day time. It's always either dawn or dusk or night. I've gotten to the the point where I hit pause to check the in game clock, and sure enough, it's always like 2am.

No, I haven't adjusted the settings because on the brief occasion it's day time, everything looks like it should. I guess I'll try that, especially if nobody else is having this problem.

I have the 360 version.

It's seriously never day time. It's always either dawn or dusk or night. I've gotten to the the point where I hit pause to check the in game clock, and sure enough, it's always like 2am.

No, I haven't adjusted the settings because on the brief occasion it's day time, everything looks like it should. I guess I'll try that, especially if nobody else is having this problem.

When you go to safehouse to save the game, it advances the clock by 6 hours. If you consistently save game in day time, you would loose 6 hours from the day most of the time.

Best play tactic is do the missions in the morning, arrange a date around 6, go on a date affter 7-8, come back at 12-1Am, sleep/save, and wake up around 7Am. Just like real-life :)

I have the 360 version.

Maybe its just you having a tendency to save at dawn having Niko constantly sleeping through the day.

Having auto-save on which saves after each mission, I haven't been doing a lot of saving in the room, so I haven't lost many hours either. Though that does seem to mean that you have to kill some time before something advances the story again (not that that is very hard. ;) ). I've been through a cycle already where I came out and it was night and there was a thunderstorm, and then it dried up and become daytime, all while I was mucking about. I like it, although for me, the speed at which the cycles occur if that had been a bit slower that would have been fine with me I think.

Why is it night time 3/4rds of the day?

Seriously. It's like 20 hours of night and maybe 4 of day light.

And you can't see anything at night. I'm left wandering around hoping I run into the door by accident in order to find my way out. At least DOOM III gave you the option of a flashlight!

I also don't really know what all the positive reviews about graphics or physic models in this game are about.

Sure, I haven't played GTAIII in years and I haven't played any other last gen game in just as long and this is my first 'next' gen game.

But it looks and feels exactly how I remember GTAIII. Except the draw distance is significantly improved.

I'm sure if I compared GTAIII with GTAIV I'd be instantly amazed, but going purely on memory, everything looks and feels very similar.

Not that that's good or bad. It's just GTA. You start the game completely enthralled, you fight with some parts of the game mechanics and then eventually say 'Yeah.. that was fun, I guess.'

360 version is VERY dark. I rented it and with its brightness maxed its still hard,and the phone is almost impossible to read text.

The physics are clearly the best yet IMO.

GTA blows my mind:oops: It destroys EVERYTHING and other game studios need to up its game big time to impress me:p Seriously Rockstar must have alien devs or something, any one thing I look at is better or as good except for texture,for its size is nutz!!!

360 version is VERY dark. I rented it and with its brightness maxed its still hard,and the phone is almost impossible to read text.

That isn't right. I've played both the PS3 and 360 versions and didn't find either of them to be so dark that I couldn't read the text on the phone. That text should be very clear. TV settings?

There is a lot wrong with GTA, more so than any other GTA I find it extremely repetitive and just trudge through the missions to continue with the story (which credit where it's due has got me hooked).

Cover makes it far too easy, I only fail shooting missions now when the other clowns get killed by just running straight into the enemy and get blown up with my bazooka :LOL:

As far as the series goes it's average in my opinion, certainly not up to the greatness of Vice City or even San Andreas to be honest.

I found my first real bug when I was playing yesterday. I ran out on a dock and fell through the boards. Then there was no way for me to get out from under the dock because I was walled in on all sides. Couldn't jump and climb my way out either. Luckily this was during multiplayer and my match ended quickly. Would suck to lose a mission because I fell through terrain. So far I haven't found any other terrain issues.

GTA blows my mind:oops: It destroys EVERYTHING and other game studios need to up its game big time to impress me:p Seriously Rockstar must have alien devs or something, any one thing I look at is better or as good except for texture,for its size is nutz!!!

If your talking graphically there then you must have played a different game to me. It looked nice IMO but not even close to the best looking console game let alone other platforms.

The detail and density of detail is very impressive but graphically I wouldn't have put it much above average, if at all.

I found my first real bug when I was playing yesterday. I ran out on a dock and fell through the boards. Then there was no way for me to get out from under the dock because I was walled in on all sides. Couldn't jump and climb my way out either. Luckily this was during multiplayer and my match ended quickly. Would suck to lose a mission because I fell through terrain. So far I haven't found any other terrain issues.

I found something that may not necessarily be a bug and was rather funny. I got drunk out of a pub with Roman, and after I cooled down enough to be able to drive I got in my car and sure enough got the cops on my tail. After fleeing those I ended up near a nice place near a big bridge, high up somewhere. So I got out and walked around a bit, and walked up to a ledge where I noticed to a bit of a shock that it had a drop straight down of like 20-30 meters (you'd expect a fence?). Anyway, Roman walked up there as well of course as he's following me around but sure enough he falls over the edge and when I look down he's lying there with a red 'your friend has been injured' message besides him. :LOL: I couldn't find him soon enough to find him down there so by the time I got there he'd already been shipped to the hospital, and I had to pick him up there. I think he didn't recover from the drinking quite as fast as I did. :LOL:

My brother had that problem but he managed to swim to a point that he can climb up back to one of the boards that is close to water, and jump up to the higher boards and get back on the top of the dock! But, I am not sure this would work on all docks!

Arwin, it is hilarious.. I think everyone will have such moments in the game! Btw, the drunk mode is best implmenetation I have seen so far. Especially, the way he sees the environement while going in the taxi is hilarious (can not focus on the signs, the person next to Nico becomes blurred, etc :) ).

My only bug so far is taking out Michelle at a very late time (around 11), then before we arrive our destination, the place closes for some reason and the taxi dumps us in middle of nowhere. After this point, the only other two possible options I can take her was the strip club and car wash (other legends were closed). So, I could not take her anywhere. And then, while she was following me, I went in a diner and when I came back out, she stopped following me standing at that point still.. Whereever I go and come back, she is stuck there! Solve the problem by a load to an autosave.

You know for the cell phone there is an option within the phone to make the text bigger.

My brother had that problem but he managed to swim to a point that he can climb up back to one of the boards that is close to water, and jump up to the higher boards and get back on the top of the dock! But, I am not sure this would work on all docks!

Yeah, the part I fell through was over land, so I was trapped. Me and my friend have been messing around in free mode, trying to get to weird places. Jumping off the top of a sky scraper is good fun.

Well, altering the contrast and brightness did help the game to a point, but there are still things that are just way too dark (some cutscenes in particular).

Also, with all the autosaves I haven't been saving the game very frequently, I just go on one mission after another when I'm able to. I can 'force' the game to be played in daytime if I want to by using the save process.

But even then, it seems to still slowly '....slip' more into night than it does in the day.

Tried some multiplayer games today..

Why oh why did they leave auto aim in the game? All the games ive seen has been with auto-aimed turned on, which makes the multiplayer ridiculous imo, because it no longer involves any skill, its simply the guy who locks faster (in essence meaning the guy with the lowest ping to host).

Back