GTA4

GTA4 - how does it rate?

• Total voters
I don't know, I see Turismos quite a lot in the down town area I think the Infernus is more rare. I'm not even sure that car shows up randomly. Are there even any Cheetah's in the game? I have never seen a single one.

Also bikes a pretty damn rare in this game compared to the last 2. In the VC and SA you were practically swimming in them
I found a mitsubishi evo (good knows what they are called in the game) with carbon fibre bonnet and a dump valve once. I tazz it around totalled it and have never seen one again. I have got the car again, but not with the carbon bonnet and dump valve. That has got to be the rarest car in the game I think.

I see bikes everywhere.

On the subject of the phone, I hate the way a call gets cancelled if a car so much as nudges you when you are walking, lost numerous messages that way before, during and after missions.

I found a mitsubishi evo (good knows what they are called in the game) with carbon fibre bonnet and a dump valve once. I tazz it around totalled it and have never seen one again. I have got the car again, but not with the carbon bonnet and dump valve. That has got to be the rarest car in the game I think.

I have seen special version sentinels that are similar to what your describing (sentinels are BMW 3series coupe i think - the previous model that is). There are quite a few models that come in souped up and normal versions.

I recently saw an aston martin rip off car, which ive never seen before on one of the missions. There is also the bentley rip off car, which is pretty rare aswell.

Yeah, I've been thinking about calling him and entering into one of those illegal races just to simply rob cars ;) Will try next time.

You can't jack the actual cars in the race the doors will not open and Niko won't try to bash the windows in. I've actually taken out the driver of one with a HS through windshield and simply couldn't get into the car, hence hoping for similar cars to spawn as ped traffic due to memory limitation.

One thing I notice about the bikes is that there are two different models for some of the brands. There is a 900 thats looks like a Ducati design and then there is one that looks to be a older model based the old Suski GSX-Rs from like 1999.

I haven't seen this with the cars. Although I thought I saw a car I thought was a Sentinel but it had a rear wing and those old school rear window third party funky addons that look like blinds or shutters.

Also, I only seen twice what appears to be a Maybach, with one random sighting and one parked at Jimmy Ps house that stealable.

Is there an actual car list somewhere?

You can't jack the actual cars in the race the doors will not open and Niko won't try to bash the windows in. I've actually taken out the driver of one with a HS through windshield and simply couldn't get into the car, hence hoping for similar cars to spawn as ped traffic due to memory limitation.

Lately I've just been using the cheats to spawna superGT anytime I want, love that car!

227-555-01688 :smile:

Lately I've just been using the cheats to spawna superGT anytime I want, love that car!

227-555-01688 :smile:

LOL. I wish GTA adopted the SR method of storing cars, where putting the car in your garage and stay available regardless of what happens. I have a Comet and what looks like a Corvette in Broker that I park by the safehouse that I don't bother driving because I don't want to lose them.

I haven't seen this with the cars. Although I thought I saw a car I thought was a Sentinel but it had a rear wing and those old school rear window third party funky addons that look like blinds or shutters.

This is a sentinel aswell with 3rd party mods, as i talked about in 1 or two posts above yours :)

Quite a few cars come in one "special" version that has a little extra. Sometimes its just some unique colors and sometimes the cars looks like they are tuned up.
Also, I only seen twice what appears to be a Maybach, with one random sighting and one parked at Jimmy Ps house that stealable.

I thought it was a maybach aswell, but the backpart looks much more like a bentley. I think the front looks like an old bentley aswell.

I'm looking for some advice/thoughts/feedback here.

I've had the game since release but haven't really felt compelled to play it too much. I'm simply not finding the driving mechanics overly enjoyable, especially when I've basically been a glorified taxi for most of my playtime so far. I am early on, so I really feel I should progress further so the game has a chance to open up all the amazing experiences I've read about - but I'm completely unimpressed right now. The game just feels clunky to me. Am I just not getting it, or will it all "click"?

The shooting and fighting is a bit painful for the bits I've had, with the last mission completed the one where you help the Jamaican guy - Jimmy? - with his second weed pickup - run over three guys, then you are taught the cover mechanic. But it's a two-part mission... they say, "click RB to cover", and take you through shooting four guys, but if you fail (since it's the first time you learn the mechanic) you have to do the whole thing over - taxi ride for Jimmy, the wait around back, the terrible "kill these guys" part, where you're trying to hit three guys on foot down a 90 degree corner in an alley, where the camera puts what's in front of you out of view, so you manually try and turn the camera so you can actually see where you're going (shock!) - then the next taxi ride to the shooting part so you have the pleasure of doing the tutorial again. If this was in a Mario game I bet it wouldn't be considered acceptable.

Honestly, if this wasn't being reviewed as "the best game ever made" I would have returned it by now. Am I just impatient? It's not a great driving experience, it's not a great shooting experience. Help?

^GTA has the best driving in a game ever the control is perfect and realistic, cover for shooting works pretty darn good also IMO. For fighting you hit block right before so you dodge then combo him by button mash.

i confirm the distance number in the stats are Kilometers, not miles (they have wrote "miles" in stats screen), even in the US version. i measured the high of the empire state building in the game for verify.
now i can make a true comparison map GTA 4 vs GTA SA, the scale of maps is very accuracy

http://upsilandre.free.fr/images/GTA4mapSA.jpg

I've had the game since release but haven't really felt compelled to play it too much. I'm simply not finding the driving mechanics overly enjoyable, especially when I've basically been a glorified taxi for most of my playtime so far. I am early on, so I really feel I should progress further so the game has a chance to open up all the amazing experiences I've read about - but I'm completely unimpressed right now. The game just feels clunky to me. Am I just not getting it, or will it all "click"?

The shooting and fighting is a bit painful for the bits I've had, with the last mission completed the one where you help the Jamaican guy - Jimmy? - with his second weed pickup - run over three guys, then you are taught the cover mechanic. But it's a two-part mission... they say, "click RB to cover", and take you through shooting four guys, but if you fail (since it's the first time you learn the mechanic) you have to do the whole thing over - taxi ride for Jimmy, the wait around back, the terrible "kill these guys" part, where you're trying to hit three guys on foot down a 90 degree corner in an alley, where the camera puts what's in front of you out of view, so you manually try and turn the camera so you can actually see where you're going (shock!) - then the next taxi ride to the shooting part so you have the pleasure of doing the tutorial again. If this was in a Mario game I bet it wouldn't be considered acceptable.

Honestly, if this wasn't being reviewed as "the best game ever made" I would have returned it by now. Am I just impatient? It's not a great driving experience, it's not a great shooting experience. Help?

Just mess shit up for a while, and get used to the driving. Turn your cellphone off so you don't get any mission calls. The driving didn't take me too long to get used to, but now I enjoy it. The gun combat is alright, but I find I use the auto-aim less and less as I play. The missions definitely get better as you go. The story is actually pretty enjoyable. I'm not big on video game storylines, but this one I'm interested in.

As far as natural motion goes, animation gets in the way of interactivity. So you'll never feel like you are in complete control. :unsure:

Guiding Niko is like manipulating a marionette with mittens—it lacks precision. Elementary tasks (like standing in front of a clothes rack) aren't as trivial as they should be. And interaction with other animated characters is often more problematic.

But the beauty of the system lies in its variation. Characters act convincingly and react differently to the same stimulus...

In your case (as was mine), you'll want to become comfortable with the cover system—how Niko moves while hiding. Once you've got that down firefights aren't so bad.

IMO the raving reviews are not really justified.
The game is fun, looks great considering the size and I really like it, as I've liked GTA games from Vice city on.

But really, it is just a high res, more detailed GTA.
I haven't witnessed the "Natural Motion" to bring that much to the game world, a little more convincing physics, but I really haven't seen it making the game world that much more unpredictable or "alive" than in previous GTA's.

The gameplay is essentially identical to the previous 3D GTA's (ok, the multiplayer is new and cool), with a little better control, but there's little that justifies so high scores, especially if the same publication gave previous GTA's scores of 8 or such...

Not a 10/10 game. 9 maybe.

This is a sentinel aswell with 3rd party mods, as i talked about in 1 or two posts above yours :)
Nah, I'm sure the one he's on about is the "Subaru Impreza" it even says STD in pink letters on the spoiler (instead of STI).

Fairly common in the second island.

Nah, I'm sure the one he's on about is the "Subaru Impreza" it even says STD in pink letters on the spoiler (instead of STI).

Fairly common in the second island.

Read what he said. "Its a sentinel with a rear wing...."

So.... im confident its the special sentinel version hes talking about rather than the Subaru impreza in this case. (As the sentinel is a BMW 3 series).

I have never seen a sentinal with a louveron the back window.

I have seen Sentinals with spoilers and vents in the bonnet (mock M3s I guess), never louvers though. Thats not to say they don't exist and you are all crazy though, I might just not remember.

Anyway, it won't be long before some net nerd makes a list of all the cars with pictures of them as well :LOL:

This discussion should have been yesterday as i had the mock M3 parked outside my safehouse but switched it for a bentley. Could have just taken a picture.

BTW, if you take pictures with the camera phone, is there any place to view the picture or send it to friends or something?

As far as the driving goes, have you tried driving in first person view? I was having a really hard time driving till I figured out that there was a first person view. After switching to first person view it was surprising how realistic the cars handle. Great game indeed.

Btw, steeling Cop cars & running the siren is the best way to drive through the city. :D

Well I finally beat the game after about 40 hours.

I feel story wise the first half of the game was a lot stronger and missions seem more polished and sophisticated as well.

But still it was a great game. And there is still a hell of a lot of things I have yet to do. By the time I beat the first 2 GTA3 games I felt like I knew my way around the world even without looking at the mini map. And I had seen pretty much all there was to see world wise. But this one still feels so big and unexplored. GTA:SA was far bigger though of course. And I do miss some of the stuff they cut of that used to be in GTA:SA.

Back