GTA V on PC

I spent about four hours last night playing the game but also tinkering with settings. I settled on max scale for population density, population variety and distance scale. I also went with basically max everything except no AA, no motion blur and set the vsync to "half". It plays exceptionally well with my 7970 at 1ghz speed. Overclocking to 1.15Ghz bought me more frames, but not enough to play at 60hz regularly. With the extra noise generated, I just left the card at stock speed and called it good.

Holy hell the graphics are excellent at these settings. Draw distance is awesome. Reflections on glossy, curvy car surfaces are awesome. They got sunrises and sunsets "right" for the various geography zones. The voice acting is quite good, the animation of characters is very good. The texture detail is fantastic. Attention to detail is, imho, absolutely amazing - urban clutter, cats running around, actually bumpy dirt roads (apparent in self shadowing from head lights.)

Fantastic Rockstar, just wonderfully done.

Have you checked out CHS for shadows? I've yet to truly study the PCSS to compare the difference with the normal shadows.

I'm one to reduce detail somewhat to give a decent level of AA. With all the amazing detail and power lines etc everywhere I just can't stand zero AA.

I'm going to try and get some good testing done between MSAA, DSR and MFAA to determine best compromise for quality/performance.

Needs DX12 with 10x population density. :3
Does my GTX970 support Pedestrian Traffic Tier 3?

I'm going to try and get some good testing done between MSAA, DSR and MFAA to determine best compromise for quality/performance.
Thanks for doing all the hard work, just report back to me with the best settings for our PCs :cool:

AMD has supported all pedestrian_density tiers since the 9800Pro, though only in Open_GTA

During the tinkering I mentionend above, I spun up 2xMSAA and FXAA with pretty good results. However, given all the other detail settings and at 1440p to boot, it just couldn't maintain 30FPS at all times even when overclocked. Boooooo :(

I haven't tinkered enough to figure out which details I'd need to crank down to get there.

1440p ouch yeah that will be a bit harder. At least FXAA should provide some good at little cost.

Oh, has anyone yet mentioned boobs?

Because, yeah, strip clubs are now properly topless. And the boob rendering is quite good. :D Did NOT expect that...

Oh, has anyone yet mentioned boobs?

Because, yeah, strip clubs are now properly topless. And the boob rendering is quite good. :D Did NOT expect that...
Yeah there's definitely more detail there :p I think the nipples could have used a bit more work though.

Are you serious, or just being silly?

Serious. I want open worlds to have population densities that are more reflective what the real world counterparts they are emulating. A busy city center should feel busy. Downtown in GTA V would ideally have traffic gridlock and big crowds depending on the time of day, for example. It'd make the game at least compelling for me in some way. Well assuming not just instanced characters where you run into identical character after identical character. Dead Rising 3 did a relatively good job with density, but it's all just mindless zombies.

This isn't just limited to GTA, any open world game. I can't stand going into what is supposed to be a large bustling city in an open world game, only to have it be basically empty of inhabitants.

It's one of the reasons I just can't get into open world games. And most especially with the GTA series since it lacks content that I'd find interesting. A least a dense cityscape would allow me to just wander around and marvel at the accomplishment and creation.

Regards,
SB

I bet if you took the graphics level of GTA4 and put it on modern hardware that the density could indeed be massively scaled up. But what sells is prettier pixels. Take note of the discussion in this thread to see what's important here lol.

I don't see how it will ever be more than mindless automaton people though. Unless it's a MMO with thousands of players in an area.

But yeah something like this would be truly interesting. Risky though. They are just building prettier versions of the same game and it sells super well.

Btw, is playing on the lowest population vs highest change the game play a bit or not? Like you have more obstacles?

I haven't had any technical issues yet. I am very happy in this regard. Social club is non-intrusive in the Steam edition, the game loads quickly and runs well. I see I need more VRAM to get the highest texture quality. I hope GTX 980 Ti is coming soon.

Nothing like trying for myself.

Yes, the game works natively with the DS4. Apparently, so does Assassin's Creed Unity.
This is really cool :)

EDIT: And so does Dying Light.

That is a very, vey cool trend. I'm almost tempted to get a DS4 instead on the new XBO pad. Are either of them wireless for PC yet though? Until that's the case it's a non-starter for me and I'll stick the the trusty old XB360 pads.

does the button also changed to PS icons?

on unrelated note.. i just stupidly tapped "Post Reply" in this page instead of clicking it -___-

Back