GT:HD will be playable at TGS, NOT GT5

hey69

i have a monster
Veteran
OR NOT ! :)

http://www.jp.playstation.com/scej/title/ps3/

The site lists "Gran Turismo Series" as being set for display at the Tokyo Game Show. The site seems to definitely be refering to the actual next Gran Turismo retail product, as it lists a release date and price (both TBA). However, the screens shown at the site are from Gran Turismo HD, an E3-only demo that Polyphony prepared for the May show, and are marked as such. Will we get actual hands-on time with the true next generation GT at TGS, or will Sony give Japanese players a chance at GT HD?

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/728/728269p1.html

I´m thinking an enhanced version of GTHD will be playable, but still not the real GT5. Better backgrounds and car-models would be my guess. No damage or anything like that..

Does anyone even know.. how long GT5 has been in development? PD just shipped Tourist Trophy.

Actually you see a small gray caption under the pic of GT:HD in http://www.jp.playstation.com/scej/title/ps3/ , which says "This picture is from Gran Turismo HD which was exhibited as a reference demo at E3". I wonder why IGN omitted to explain it.
This page for the particular game also bothers to note at the bottom under the GT:HD images that they are all from GT:HD.
http://www.jp.playstation.com/scej/title/gt_ps3/

All in all, these point to the new GT which is not GT:HD.

So what you're saying is that where there are shots for the next GT game, Sony are labelling them as shots for reference from a GTHD demo as opposed to being 'actual game shots'?

So what you're saying is that where there are shots for the next GT game, Sony are labelling them as shots for reference from a GTHD demo as opposed to being 'actual game shots'?

No, I think what one is trying to explain that GTHD is a showcase -thus the screen shots on that site are a reference to what GT:ng might look like- , not the next-gen GT and IGN mixed it all up again.

Those GT:HD images are stopgap, yes.

No, I think what one is trying to explain that GTHD is a showcase -thus the screen shots on that site are a reference to what GT:ng might look like- , not the next-gen GT and IGN mixed it all up again.
Well, these shots are from GT:HD and SCE noted it to save the confusion, which I think means what they'll show at TGS is NOT GT:HD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone even know.. how long GT5 has been in development? PD just shipped Tourist Trophy.

My guess is 6-12 months, but I doubt anyone knows for sure. Polyphone has assloads of staff, and the TT development cycle wasn't that long with them using the GT4 engine to some extent.

Then again they should've been working on the online edition of GT4 for quite some time now.. go figure, Polyphony's schedules have never made any sense to me :)

Interesting link, that's for sure:
Gamespot said:
Second, while Yamauchi lavished praise on the game's high-definition graphics, he stated that the game was not the true next-gen heir to the popular racing series' crown.

In the article, Yamauchi called Gran Turismo HD a "port" of the data from Gran Turismo 4, upgraded to take advantage of the PlayStation 3's graphical capabilities. He also said it is "a step in the process of developing a next-generation GT game."

Yamauchi also implied that development on that next-gen game is already under way, albeit at an early stage. "We are working on a version of GT that supports the full PS3 specification," Yamauchi said, adding, "but in this transitional version, I think you'll get a taste of the potential that next generation games hold."
I knew that GT:HD was going to be released when Yamauchi, in his boring E3 presentation, said that the PS3 will be the first Playstation platform with a GT released soon after the launch period.

If they are making GT:HD It better be priced as platinum games or even better, be bundled with every PS3 (I don't see this happening). :D

It would be nice however if it wouldn't be priced as full..

That Gamespot link is a strange interpretation, since what Famitsu reports is basically the content of the GT:HD section of the GT official web site which has been there since E3 2006. Title finalization is also ridiculous, it's not a product title and noted so in the article. As for using GT4 photomode assets, I posted the story about it a while ago.

Anyway, just from the footnotes in
http://www.jp.playstation.com/scej/title/ps3/
and
http://www.jp.playstation.com/scej/title/gt_ps3/
I can almost confirm the next GT product (the title of the game to be exhibited at TGS is "Gran Turismo Series" in the list, not GT:HD) on PS3 is not GT:HD for sure.

I thought this game was just a prototype? Last time I checked, atleast:

http://presscenter.playstation.com/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=/Pages.aspx?id=35&id=35

At this year’s E3 2006, I am excited to provide you a glimpse of our vision for Gran Turismo® by showcasing the technological capabilities of PLAYSTATION®3 with a special playable demo titled “Gran Turismo HDâ€￾. Please note that this product does not represent an official product and is merely a prototype.

The wait for the next generation of Gran Turismo, post launch of PS3, may not be as long as you think.

...maybe SCE changed their mind? This may be the Gran Turismo game that was rumoured to be going online a little while ago? I would probably buy it since I've been wanting an online Gran Turismo for years now. :)

/sorry about the resurrection/

i just came across the following thread at gtplanet, containing a couple of scans from a famitsu article which i don't remember seeing around here. as it seem there's a chance that PD may actually release GT:HD as an end product, be that a transient one.

here is GameSpot's interpretation of that famitsu article:

Gran Turismo HD forerunner to new next-gen GT
Polyphony Digital head Kazunori Yamauchi tells Famitsu that PS3 game is merely a taste of what's to come; title finalized.

Polyphony Digital head Kazunori Yamauchi spoke about the next Gran Turismo title in the latest issue of Weekly Famitsu. There were two points of interest in the article. First, the parenthetical "working title" has been dropped from the name, implying that Gran Turismo HD is indeed the final title. Second, while Yamauchi lavished praise on the game's high-definition graphics, he stated that the game was not the true next-gen heir to the popular racing series' crown.

Gran Turismo HD (working title)
Platform: PS3
Publisher: SCEA
Release: TBA In the article, Yamauchi called Gran Turismo HD a "port" of the data from Gran Turismo 4, upgraded to take advantage of the PlayStation 3's graphical capabilities. He also said it is "a step in the process of developing a next-generation GT game."

Yamauchi also implied that development on that next-gen game is already under way, albeit at an early stage. "We are working on a version of GT that supports the full PS3 specification," Yamauchi said, adding, "but in this transitional version, I think you'll get a taste of the potential that next generation games hold."

Yamauchi said the idea for the game actually came from an unlikely source, the Photo Mode in GT4, which allowed players to take high-resolution stills. "I thought it would be incredible to see these stills animated in real time," he said. Running at 60 frames per second in 1920x1080p resolution, Gran Turismo HD supports the very highest resolutions available to Japan's newest HD televisions, according to Famitsu.

By Walt Wyman -- GameSpot

Last edited by a moderator:
GT:HD could well please folks who were annoyed by the online features of GT4 being pulled in the end. Visual upgrades are always nice, but if the sucker can get in those online play modes desperately missing from GT4...! It won't seem entirely as unreasonable or cheesy. (But yeah, it would also be nice to not be full-priced.)

Lord knows with their development cycle we'll have a LONG time to wait for GT5. ;)

The exact translation of the said column, done by me…

Mods, if this is out-of-line, just remove the translation.

Again the literal translations are found with round brackets (). Comments are marked by {}. And additional words for text coherence are marked by []. / denotes two alternative translations, so pick your poison.

Kazunori Yamauchi
The GT for full PS3 specs has a even higher aim.

Grand Tourismo HD is a version in the middle of development for the next-generation GT in which we’ve converted GT4’s data to high definition and high precision and which we’ve also ported to the high fidelity graphics system of PS3 {Comment: This is hard to translate without losing completely the meaning behind it: He means that GT::HD is used as a starting ground for NG GT; GT:HD is a GT4.5 if you will. Somewhat of a stepping stone}. In GT4 there was a function called Photomode which allowed you to take high precision screen-shots, but the motive for developing [it] was that we wanted to display such good images if it moved in real-time. GT HD is rendering (displaying) on high-quality which modern high-definition TVs {Comment: he calls them high-vision TV} used at home can display above standard [resolution] - i.e. 1920x1080 mode and 60 frames per second. The information volume became 3 times that of normal (general) high-def broadcast and even 13.5 times that of GT4. Wouldn’t anyone’s heart be captured / mind be blown (anyone be robbed of his heart) by the overwhelming power of that resolution, if he’s see the pictures for the first time? Concerning GT for the full PS3 specs that is going to appear eventually we’re having an even higher aim and we’re continuing the work, but during the transition period wouldn’t you like to get a taste of possibilities of next-generation games in modern high-definition.

To me that sounds more like GT:HD being a demo....

here is GameSpot's interpretation of that famitsu article:
That's the same article ZiFF posted in this thread already ;)

I agree with hupfinsgack. Besides, Kazunori Yamauchi added the message at the end of the GT4 Online beta test on Sep. 1
http://www.gran-turismo.com/jp/gt4ol/index.do
which says Tokyo Game Show 2006 is the first time the next GT on PS3 appears and it "has a very different paradigm from the older GT series."

... So if GT:HD is just GT4 running in High Def with slightly updated graphics, what happens if we play it while our PS3's are plugged to normal TVs at 480i? Will it look marginally better than GT4? Cause that wouldn't be too flattering for PS3's image... Sure HDTV is the next Big Thing (TM), but there will be LOADS (the vast majority, hell even me, cause i sold my HDTV and i'm waiting to get a new one!) of people who play PS3 on normal TVs until they have the money to buy new HDTVs...

If it's downsampled from an HD rendering, it'll look very nice in comparison to original GT4. The aliasing and shimmer on GT4 is pretty rough, and 1080p >> 480p will elliminate the worst of that.

Back