GT HD Premium = GT5 Prologue | GT HD Classic = GT:HD at E3

Status
Not open for further replies.
the cars look a lot better, did they decide to not use the ps2 version cars(i haven't been keeping up)

the mountian detail, while not 2d, is still mostly made up of a great texturing job

but the illusion falls apart in this pic

http://www.gtplanet.net/gallery/albums/GTHD_screens/p41a.jpg

I still think this game should have not been made, and just focus on the next real GT game
It might fall apart in the pic, but it sure comes back together in the video :oops:
Didn't realise the mountains are indeed 3D, not a 2D image of a distant mountain range until I watched the video again. Pretty impressive!
The cockpit view looks fine, there's some rough edges, like in the rear view mirror which has too few polygons, but I guess the car exteriors are on priority no. 1 when it comes to polygon budget.

THe GT:HD is shaping up better than I expected, it's no longer just a 1080p port of GT4, but a true GT5 "Prologue".

THe GT:HD is shaping up better than I expected, it's no longer just a 1080p port of GT4, but a true GT5 "Prologue".

You still haven't picked up on that it's both? Premium being a new engine with new assets that will eventually become GT5, and GT4 being an old engine upgraded for online gaming, with old assets?

The question it raises with me is among others how this is going to turn out in terms of cars on screen. Are we going to get 20 cars online races in GT:HD Classic, but then only 8 in GT:HD Premium/GT5?

They'll probably find a way, but it's going to be interesting.

I think the lighting is in, I just dont think the lighting is finished, I hope. Like I said earlier theres a part where the driver goes into the tunnel and theres no shadow on the car at all. Hopefully polyphony can fix that before december.

Seems fixed now!:)

http://images.playsyde.com/gallery/public/4326/t_1069_0047.jpg

http://images.playsyde.com/gallery/public/4326/t_1069_0046.jpg

Edit: They went pretty small, here's the gallery: http://playsyde.com/news_3628_en.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it looks nice as is now, but It just seems like the reflections are in. I'm not seeing much of dynamic shadows and self shadowing. The car should be darker when going under that tunnel. No biggie though, PD has stated that this is hardly a finished product as they have months before release, and will keep updating the game afterwards. I think they also say the game wont arrive in EU and NA until spring 07 so theres lots of time for development.

:oops:

the red and the the black ferraris on the swiss track on this page are pretty damn perfect! now this is the reflections quality i expect of you, polyphony, from now on this is what i want to see in car shading!

After playing the demo during lunch I'm glad to see those shrub artifacts are in the game and not because of the display... :)

Also it must've been an older build because it didn't have the nice in-car cockpit of the above screens....

You played the demo during lunch? Or watched? That's a rather significant distinction. ;)

There's a very interesting article with interview in Spanish here:

http://www.meristation.com/v3/des_avances.php?id=cw4516d19f71dec&idj=cw4460b3b8a8a10&pic=PS3

From what I gather from a partial French summary and reading bits of the Spanish text myself, it contains the following bits of interesting information:

- F1 tracks are probably going to make it into GT:HD Premium, and perhaps also in Classic, but this is not yet certain.
- nothing can be said about the pricing of the game at all as nothing has been decided yet. The game could be full price with a lot of download points included, or very cheap with all cars downloaded for an as yet unknown price, etc. The main point Yamauchi wants to make is that he is not interested in making more money out of the game, but is solely interested in making as much as possible of the online support.
- in his capacity at SCE, he has not been involved with the hardware of the PS3 (nor with the decision to postpone the EU launch, he stresses :LOL: ), but his primary focus and responsibility has been working on online functionality.
- where last year there were three teams working on different projects within PD (PSP GT4, Tourist Trophy, and GT PS3), now all 100 employees are working and focussing on GT:HD.
- Premium as we've seen it is only at 15% (whatever that means) and the only thing he is happy with at this point is the car-selection screen. He also lists (Petran will appreciate this) what still needs to be fixed: dynamic lighting, 3d crowds are still static, replays aren't finished or even implemented, etc.
- asked what the PS3 brings to GT that the PS2 couldn't, he mentions damage, AI, physics, and the resolution
- he offered that the interviewer could take a picture of Yamauchi and himself that Yamauchi would then put online later on for free download by GT players ... :LOL:

There's probably more, but this should be the main stuff.

I just read the meristation article and also saw a few interesting things (spanish is my actual language):

BTW, i will just translate the article as it is, so you will see a lot of PR talk.

List of options they plan to include but are still unconfirmed:

- Online Garage
- One vs. One races
- Friends List
- Boards
- Voice Chat
- Team makers and clubs
- Online Photo Albums
- Race makers (or builder)

The demo was full of bugs like popping, framerate, lack of shadows and static crowds. Yamauchi said that he is well aware of those problems.

He also explained why damage wasnt implemented in previous GT games. In the past, car makers didnt want to see their cars being damageds since they barely receive money from the rights to use the car images in the game(this is something new to me, since i always thought that in previous games they had to pay car makers to use their cars). With this method, Yamauchi said that they were able to spend more money in the development of the game instead of using to cover rights (oro license) payments, thats part of the reason for the high quality of GT games. Right now, the situation is different. Thanks to Gt being known by everybody right now, they can have the luxury of asking car makers for the so awaited car damage and the PS3 is going to be an excellent debut. The level of damage hasnt been decided yet, but one thing is granted, it wont be in the same line as the Burnout games.

The game will have some models from Gran Turismo (the italian brand where the name of the game comes from), that werent previously in the games.

Regarding the Ferrari License, Yamauchi was extremely happy since a couple of days ago they sent some captures to Ferrari of the 3D model that they were making of the 599 GTB Fiorano and on friday, the only great and one Franco Simanti, design boss of the brand "cavallino rampante",call them back just to say that it was the best virtual model made by third parties (not inhouse) that they have ever seen.

They will completely finish GT HD by 2008 AND from that moment the team will move to GT5..

That were all the interesting parts i saw from the interview.

I just read the meristation article and also saw a few interesting things (spanish is my actual language):
They will completely finish GT HD by 2008 AND from that moment the team will move to GT5..

What the hell are they playing at? GT5 being sacrificed for GT:HD. This is beyond crazy. Are you sure this is an accurate translation and the official line?

I just translated what the interview said:
¿En qué punto se halla el desarrollo de GT 5? ¿Cuántas personas trabajan en él?
Como he dicho, terminaremos GT HD en 2008 y a partir de ese momento volcaremos al equipo en GT5.

I'm sure alot of the legwork for GT5 is a part of GT:HD. I imagine that by the end of GT:HD and after all the patches, it will be pretty close engine wise to GT5.

What the hell are they playing at? GT5 being sacrificed for GT:HD. This is beyond crazy. Are you sure this is an accurate translation and the official line?
i think it's more like they will support GT HD with content (microtransaction etc...) until GT5 hit shelves in 2008

- Premium as we've seen it is only at 15% (whatever that means) and the only thing he is happy with at this point is the car-selection screen. He also lists (Petran will appreciate this) what still needs to be fixed: dynamic lighting, 3d crowds are still static, replays aren't finished or even implemented, etc.
- asked what the PS3 brings to GT that the PS2 couldn't, he mentions damage, AI, physics, and the resolution

yes Arwin, you are right! :D
I am very happy for the intention to implement these gfx features, plus many more. (too obvious that they are missing the most, anyways)

I am not happy at all with the pricing strategy (I am not a "casual" racer), and I am extremely unhappy about the timeframes that PD has.

I was the one b!tchin' last year (and even before that) when they announced that they are working on Tourist Trophy for PS2, instead of completely focusing on the next-gen engine.
I had a lot of people yelling at me, back then.

Now everybody can see that I was right, I guess.

I was the one b!tchin' last year (and even before that) when they announced that they are working on Tourist Trophy for PS2, instead of completely focusing on the next-gen engine.
I had a lot of people yelling at me, back then.

Now everybody can see that I was right, I guess.
PD wasnt really dedicated 100% to Tourist Trophy, IIRC it was a side project ran by Takamasa and not Kazunori (creator of GT). Kazunori IIRC was working on GT4 Online, which in the long run was an effort to test out network play for next gen GT. So not all was lost in the sense they were not focused on next gen.

PD wasnt really dedicated 100% to Tourist Trophy, IIRC it was a side project ran by Takamasa and not Kazunori (creator of GT). Kazunori IIRC was working on GT4 Online, which in the long run was an effort to test out network play for next gen GT. So not all was lost in the sense they were not focused on next gen.

yes, but... I look at those timelines, and somehow I am not convinced. at all. :cry:

yes, but... I look at those timelines, and somehow I am not convinced. at all. :cry:

You expected GT5 to be out weeks if not months after ps3 launch? Especially when TT and GT4:Online-beta recently finished before the annoucement of GTHD. I'm not sure you understand what kind of work goes into making a GT game (not that I know specifically, but I have a pretty good idea).

Lets just say Kazunori is pretty much a perfectionist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back