GPU Ray Tracing Performance Comparisons [2021-2022]

Seems like the new Pixar movie "Luca" has less raytracing than some real time games :/
Clouds are visible only at the horizon, and given reflection angle is expected to clip them. Only distant water close to the horizon would show them, but it' has too much waves to say.
So no proof of inferior movie rendering yet. :)

Well most of the screenshots in that article were completely pointless.
RT in DE is borderline unnoticeable - the biggest difference is the reflections on some weapons which you see all the time.
Levels don't have a lot of reflections though and the high roughness cutoff on materials doesn't help either. There may be some scenes where they are more prominent but I haven't found such yesterday while playing with the update.
It is running comparatively well on RDNA2 GPUs though.

Well most of the screenshots in that article were completely pointless.
It looks somewhat unprofessional to have comparison shots labeled with 'RTX on/off', now that AMD can do it too.

I remember some id devs bragging Eternal would have the best RT ever, before release.
But game was good, so i forgive them :)

It looks somewhat unprofessional to have comparison shots labeled with 'RTX on/off', now that AMD can do it too.

I remember some id devs bragging Eternal would have the best RT ever, before release.
But game was good, so i forgive them :)

Its not uncommon for marketing terms to replace the de-facto name. But for example of, SAM was immediately replaced by "Re-BAR". It didn't "stick".

Sometimes its a reflex of how much marketing was done for these things, some other times of bias.

Sometimes its a reflex of how much marketing was done for these things, some other times of bias.
Yep. At least this way we can't confuse it with some software raytracing. And 'RTX' is more catchy than 'DXR'. Happens to me too...

If Google's translation is accurate they're saying DLSS 2.1.66 causes more smearing than the built in TAA.
They say: During camera movement, some objects draw a trail. This artifact is especially prevalent with high-contrast contents which are very common in the second DLC. During the rather dark levels the positive aspect of noticeably higher frame rates offsets this. The smearing problem is getting worse with higher upscaling factors in lower DLSS quality settings. The problem becomes really pronounced with lower framerates and resolutions, but does not occur as long as the game immanent TSSAA 8TX is used.

After that, they suggest switching the DLSS dll for 2.2.6.0 and see the difference for yourself.

That's the part in german: PCGH hat erste DLSS-Tests anhand einer Geforce RTX 2060 angestellt. So kommt es erwartungsgemäß in Doom Eternal zum berüchtigten Smearing (Schmieren): Einige Objekte ziehen bei Kamerabewegungen einen sichtbaren Schweif hinter sich her. Das Artefakt tritt vor allem bei hochkontrastigen Inhalten auf, wie sie im zweiten DLC zuhauf vertreten sind. Bei den eher düsteren übrigen Levels überwiegt der positive Aspekt in Form der deutlich höheren Bildrate.

Das Schmier-Problem verstärkt sich, je stärker der Upscaling-Faktor ausfällt, also mit niedrigeren DLSS-Qualitätsstufen. Das Problem sticht zwar erst in geringen Auflösungen und Bildraten ins Auge, besteht jedoch zweifellos nicht, solange das spieleigene TSSAA 8TX zum Einsatz kommt. DLSS-Vergleichsbilder finden in Kürze den Weg in diesen Artikel. Experimentierfreudige Nutzer ersetzen derweil die DLSS-Datei mit der Version 2.2.6.0 und beobachten die Verbesserungen ...

They say: During camera movement, some objects draw a trail. This artifact is especially prevalent with high-contrast contents which are very common in the second DLC. During the rather dark levels the positive aspect of noticeably higher frame rates offsets this. The smearing problem is getting worse with higher upscaling factors in lower DLSS quality settings. The problem becomes really pronounced with lower framerates and resolutions, but does not occur as long as the game immanent TSSAA 8TX is used.

After that, they suggest switching the DLSS dll for 2.2.6.0 and see the difference for yourself.

Got it, thanks. Did they already try 2.2.6.0 or they're just suggesting people try it to see if it helps?

Got it, thanks. Did they already try 2.2.6.0 or they're just suggesting people try it to see if it helps?
They don't state clearly one way or the other. From the tone of it, it sounds like they've tried this with other games already and have had positive experience or read about it in the internets.

Look VERY briefly at Doom Eternal last night. In the area of my save game turning on ray tracing increased my CPU frame times from ~4.3ms to ~5.3ms. That's a 3600X stock with highly tuned DDR4-3600 timings. I think turning on ray tracing dropped me from around 190 to 120 at 1440p ultra nightmare on my under-volted RTX3800 (~1860MHz). Was able to gain quite a bit of that back with DLSS. Only looked at the one scene where I'd saved.

Back