GI.biz: Sony considering major digital distribution service (inc PSone/PS2 games)

Titanio

Legend
Nothing seems firm, but it seems they're talking about things with devs/publishers:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=15294

Several senior developers have confirmed to GamesIndustry.biz that they have spoken informally with Sony about the question of digital distribution on consoles, although these discussions were described as being "purely about technology, not business models" by one source.

However, even the technology discussed could be very revealing regarding the Japanese giant's plans for the coming years - with one source from the development arm of a major third-party publisher claiming that Sony has been discussing the technical feasibility of providing PSone and PS2 titles over digital distribution with them.

More at the link.

Alot of things Sony have been complaining about as of recently really makes this story viable IMO. Sony, as well as many other publishers, are very upset about the 2nd hand market at retail, the used games market. It really is eating into their sales.

Sony probably plans to take the reins back from retail through a digital content distribution network. I envisioned them taking a two-prong route.

-Make Bluray the new standard removable medium and own the removable media market by earning royalties from every Bluray branded item sold. Bluray portable medium is more viable for HD content, since broadband is still too slow for the download of massive amounts of content.

-Create digital content distribution center via the PS3 to take back lost sales stemming from retail second hand market (like on-demand for cable has taken market share away from the video rental stores like Blockbusters). Not only will it work for demoes, added content downloads, etc., but like the article says, it will allow the backcatalogue of Sony games to be downloaded, serial/episodic games on the PS3, and Sony's music and video content.

ROG27 said:
Alot of things Sony have been complaining about as of recently really makes this story viable IMO.

I think this story could be (and probably is) true of practically any company in the hardware/software entertainment business. Did anyone really think Sony wasn't looking into this?

Everyone should be looking into this. Sony is part of everyone.

IMO, this goes against the BR initiative. It would increase the popularity of discless gaming. How is that beneficial to Sony? They need to get this one last disc format popular first. And most every PS1 and PS2 games could be archived on DVD quite easily, so BR is not needed for archiving, either.

BR aside, I think the devil will be in the details. It's easy to say you're interested in an online distribution system. It's quite another to provide one that customers like. The model has to be good and the service has to be readily available. Sony can do all that stuff, but I don't think we should presume they will.

Inane_Dork said:

IMO, this goes against the BR initiative. It would increase the popularity of discless gaming. How is that beneficial to Sony? They need to get this one last disc format popular first. And most every PS1 and PS2 games could be archived on DVD quite easily, so BR is not needed for archiving, either.

I think this would only be an issue if PS3 games were made available for download..which isn't nearly as practical. There definitely remains a role for discs for now (and not just for games, obviously).

Inane_Dork said:
BR aside, I think the devil will be in the details. It's easy to say you're interested in an online distribution system. It's quite another to provide one that customers like. The model has to be good and the service has to be readily available. Sony can do all that stuff, but I don't think we should presume they will.

Very true, I think they're just sounding off with developers and publishers on this and getting feedback, at this stage. I'm not even sure if it's wholly correct to say they're planning such a service, which is why I was reluctant to copy GI.biz's headline verbatim in the thread title.

in my oppinion it is a lot easyer to download a ps2/1 game and pay 5-10 dollars for it over the net, instead of going to a secondhand shop/ebay.

thats what they should do... at first distribute older titles at a very low price and then move on to the new games, which have much more content, gigabyte wise.

but if they keep the prices as high as on the Steam network........ i mean i can buy half life2 for cheap in many stores, and the online price is still, well, a lot higher.

yes to online distribution IF we profit from a price advantage.

Inane_Dork said:

The reason for including BR in the PS3 is massive install base of BR players for HD movie content distribution (not really for gaming...it's a trojan horse).

Large install base for BR format --> More/Continued Movie Studio Support --> BR becomes dominant format --> BR wins format war...BR new removable disc standard --> Sony makes consistent/growing income with every additional BR disc sold.

Well, MS is somehow already doing it, with their arcade games, nintendo will be doing it with their old games as well, so it would be strange if Sony didn't look into it as well. I wonder though if this will be used for newer games though, on the one hand they will want game to use all that space on the BR discs, on the other hand they want them small so people can download them, it will be interesting to see what happens.

I also wonder what the retailers reaction will be though, if the drop of sold games would be really big, and they would not have so many second hand games to sell, is their a reason for them to sell the consoles them selfs since they don't make any money from them...

Platon said:
I also wonder what the retailers reaction will be though, if the drop of sold games would be really big, and they would not have so many second hand games to sell, is their a reason for them to sell the consoles them selfs since they don't make any money from them...

..the money off PS3 software sales?

I doubt most retailers are making much of anything off PSone sales anymore, second hand or otherwise. I think it's also key to note that the article states selected titles would be made available on such a service..I doubt you'd suddenly see the entire PS2 catalogue online in the next couple of years, when it could actually still damage PS2 sales.

It's not really realistic, not until Internet speeds get faster, i don't want to be downloading a game all day and night, let alone all week.. :LOL:

I can see it working for content up to a gig though.. :)

Back