E-Distribution Games for PS3

Also there's already a Worms out too for the PSP and DS, so it'll probably make its way here too.

I hope so, it wouldnt even have to be online for me to enjoy it, just make it 4 player (or even 7 player) MP, and I'm all over it. :)

Images of Swizzleblocks...
Swizzleblocks:
swizzleblocks1.jpg

swizzleblocks2.jpg

swizzleblocks3.jpg

swizzleblocks4.jpg
hopefully the gameplay is better than it looks, that looks kinda confusing. o_O

It looks a lot like the PSP version in zoomed in mode.
Id' guess these are closeups to show the graphic detail, and you could zoom right out.

As for Worms, Worms comes out on every platform - 16 times! With the PSP version they returned to proper 2D gameplay and hopefully publishers have got past the 3D fetish that killed many a classic game by forcing the devs to turn it to 3D no matter how crap that made the gameplay. 2D is simple, and thuis the perfect system for simple games.

The one problem I had with Worms was the turn-based nature. It worked at Uni but since then I've not found anyone keen to play multiplayer. And there's a steep learning curve to the many items. Newbies basically get clobbered as they don't know which weapon to select or how to wield it.

Umm...that's not off topic, no honest guv'! I can think of other 16 bit remakes that ought to be properly updated and released onto download services like this.

LocoRoco would be a perfect game for PS3 arcade and the SIXAXIS, or better still LocoRoco 2.
PSP's Mercury and the sequel would be nice also. These are games that would really benefit from a motion sensing controller.

Sony should put Loco Roco on its Arcade service at launch. :D

Loco Roco would rock there... and would likely work well with the controller (at least it'd be neat to give the option).

I hope they do it, even though I have it on PSP already... would be nice to see it on a big screen.

Loco Roco would rock there... and would likely work well with the controller (at least it'd be neat to give the option).

I hope they do it, even though I have it on PSP already... would be nice to see it on a big screen.

Yeah, those two almost seem like no-brainers. And both are very small games also I think, at least comparatively - Loco Roco was something like 64mb last I heard?

It's a fun game, and a lot more people will get into it this time since they don't have to get a $250 machine to play it. It could also lend itself to using the tilt controls.

In fact, there are a couple of other PSP games that I think would fare better on the PS3 Arcade service:

Practical Intelligent Quotient
intelligent-license-20050503034118098.jpg

intelligent-license-20050503034118348.jpg

intelligent-license-20050419055218639.jpg

Exit
exit-20060124003503877.jpg

exit-20051223043829015.jpg

exit-20060124003506690.jpg

As for games from the PS2 that could be retooled as small 2d downloads, I'd also say:
Gradius
gradius-v-20040820080351202.jpg

But my personal advocated candidate would be Contra Shattered Soldiers:
contra_071502_07.jpg

contra_071502_17.jpg

contra__052002_3.jpg.jpg

Contra_Shattered_Soldiers_Metallk%C3%B6rper.jpg

I would really like to see Contra: Shattered Soldier being ported to the PSP, specially with game sharing for coop multiplayer.

Still, I would prefer this thread to focus on what's already there, rather than spiral into an out of control wishlist. ;)

LocoRoco would be a perfect game for PS3 arcade and the SIXAXIS, or better still LocoRoco 2.
PSP's Mercury and the sequel would be nice also. These are games that would really benefit from a motion sensing controller.

Totally agree! Hmm, guess something like Marble Madness would work too?

Still, I would prefer this thread to focus on what's already there, rather than spiral into an out of control wishlist. ;)

Ok fair enough, I'll give it a shot :) Does anyone have any concrete knowledge of the E-Distribution Initiative? I mean are they offering different publishing schemes, or if PS3 indeed allows homebrew, can you put your own games on sale or at least through some approval process?

Ok fair enough, I'll give it a shot :) Does anyone have any concrete knowledge of the E-Distribution Initiative? I mean are they offering different publishing schemes, or if PS3 indeed allows homebrew, can you put your own games on sale or at least through some approval process?
I would think you'd have to go through some approval with Sony, just to ensure you aren't uploading bad code or viruses and stuff like that.

I think your own games would be there on the Linux side of PS3 OS.
The PS3 Arcade is too high profile to let any c*rap (not to say your games would be , but generally :) ) there to clutter the "marketplace"
Possible homebrew on the Yellowdog Linux (with "Yellowdog Linux OS, games and applications are not supported by SCE, and any content installed on Linux is at your own risk" disclaimer), and "professional" stuff on an official Online Store Website (Connect?) accessed via XMB.

The whole thing was announced and started around GDC 2006 already, with a special website up that provided instructions on how to apply for a special licence to get the stuff done. So no, you'll not be able to just upload any old homebrew - that will be restricted to Linux, as mentioned. But if you've made some half-decent homebrew, you can apply to have it published through E-distribution and make a few bucks (or not). I don't of course know how strict they are with this exactly, but we'll find out soon enough. I do know that apparently there have been a *lot* of applications (remember this programme is in place both for the PS3 and for the PSP and E-distribution will service both systems!).

It will also be interesting to see if it is possible for homebrew owners to offer up decent quality software for free - if it always costs money to have something up there, or if Sony will have some special provision, etc.

Note that Microsoft is doing something similar with the XNA Developer Kit that they offer up for free now so there's going to be interesting times ahead!

Back