Get Windows 7 for $50 limited deal.

That's it? Just win 7 for $50?

Heck when XP came out I got a version of Pro, a t-shirt, AND an XP lava lamp for $50.

I'm holding out for more shwag. :p

I'd rather have them make it free :p, everything is becoming free those days (virtualisation products, opensolaris, web based office suites etc. etc.)

The same deal exists in the UK for £50 but its the full version of Home Premium. Doesn't start until July inthe UK though.

I'll be first in line for my 64bit copy :D

Yeah, only the upgrade is discounted.

They have another deal on the microsoft site where you can buy vista now and get Windows7 free when it's out .... but Vista costs more than Windows7 will.

I also don't understand the Vista editions. I thought the retail ones included both 32 and 64bit, but it looks like only the ultimate has 64bit and it is priced differently.

I also don't understand the Vista editions. I thought the retail ones included both 32 and 64bit, but it looks like only the ultimate has 64bit and it is priced differently.

The retail editions give you the right to use 32bit or 64bit. Only Ultimate comes with both DVD's in the case however. You can order the 64bit media from Microsoft for your Home Premium version and you only have to pay postage cost.

It's a decent offer, I might look at a couple of Pro versions.

Couldn't you just download an ISO for the 64bit and use that, I mean use it legally if you owned the home edition? (Just asking for shits and giggles...)

I'd rather have them make it free :p, everything is becoming free those days (virtualisation products, opensolaris, web based office suites etc. etc.)

I'd rather pay money than use a free OS like Linux for everything. I'm technically proficient with computers and coding, but I don't want to have to manually install something new every time I want an update. Nor can I be arsed with the week of messing in linux every time you install. Also, I like playing games.

I'd also rather pay £70 (Vista) than £80 (OSX) because Windows is just so many more times win than Apple software.

I love Vista, never had a problem with it at all. I will be there on the first day to buy 2-3 copies of Win7. One of those copies will replace XP on my Macbook (which I got for free, otherwise I would never touch one).

I'd rather pay money than use a free OS like Linux for everything. I'm technically proficient with computers and coding, but I don't want to have to manually install something new every time I want an update. Nor can I be arsed with the week of messing in linux every time you install. Also, I like playing games.

I'd also rather pay £70 (Vista) than £80 (OSX) because Windows is just so many more times win than Apple software.

I love Vista, never had a problem with it at all. I will be there on the first day to buy 2-3 copies of Win7. One of those copies will replace XP on my Macbook (which I got for free, otherwise I would never touch one).

Everything you just said (although i'm only buying 1 copy :p)

fair points, dooby. though I'd say the windows way is about easy manual installation of any software (free or closed source) or driver : double-clic/next/next/finish.

mind you, I've come to consider windows to be more stable and faster than a linux desktop, because you get to use much better drivers. linux has other advantages (set up a network with ldap, network mounted homes, dhcp, thin clients etc. without any consideration for license costs).

I consider windows's price to be excessive, most of the price is pure profit for microsoft. Microsoft charges 30€ for Vista on a netbook! That is the price I would consider acceptable. Given the scale of windows licensing, that still allows them to collect billions dollars.

Long term I hope for ReactOS to become usable so we have the option of a free OS with windows drivers (with some linux hybridation on top of that)

Last edited by a moderator:
I consider windows's price to be excessive, most of the price is pure profit for microsoft.

What's the price of a support(*) contract on a Linux desktop install? How much of that is pure profit for Red Hat / Novell?

(*) by support I don't mean "RTFM", "have you tried searching the LKML archive?", "you need to upgrade your kernel to the latest beta", "that device won't get support because the OEMs won't release the spec to the public domain".

But either home users are on their own, or they call their OEM for support. I believe OEMs are the ones that do OEM windows support actually. Boxed windows editions are so much more expensive that we don't need to care about the support question.

you're right that linux support is much a pain in the ass, though.
either you're in a business/community/association scenario with a geek or two to take care of the network and client problems, either you give it away to individuals.. here either I have the "granma" scenario (web, mail documents on a setup that nevers moves) and it's alright, either I may do some initial quick help (flash, wifi driver and some quirky scientific package for a student) if I'm generous.. but beyond that, you're on your own you f$$#ù!\ user!

I agree it sucks. yet not too much, ubuntu is tremendous, it's marvelous to see it work (and work at all)

but I don't know why I'm talking about all that on a Windows 7, $50 topic.
Incidentally, $50 is close to the 30€ figure I pulled out as a decent Windows OEM price!
Considering microsoft's oligarchy position, I feel it's unfair that Windows's price varies so much. It would be fair for an end user buying only spare parts to get the cheap price on an OEM license.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back