Question on a NAS for home use.

I have a basic Terramaster 2 nay NAS but it doesn't do what I originally bought it for which was to back up Google Photo's.

I've been looking at other pre built options but thinking it's cheaper for me just to be build me own and use software.

Does anyone know of any software that enables simple Google Photo's backup?

Doesn't google photo have an export function ? or do you want something automated ?

I was looking for something automated.

It seems like the best way is to download what I have and then use OneDrive to sync the new photo's to the NAS.

You can't even link Google Drive anymore which is a ball ache as that would have been the best option.

How many photos do you regularly add that it's no longer feasible to simply download the last week/month of photos and store on your NAS manually?

Also building and maintaining your own NAS might be cheaper in the short run, but long term with the amount of hours and effort, something like a Synology like I've had the last 12 years is just much easier.

How many photos do you regularly add that it's no longer feasible to simply download the last week/month of photos and store on your NAS manually?

It won't just be for my photo's as I'll be looking to store my wife's and a few other family members.

Also building and maintaining your own NAS might be cheaper in the short run, but long term with the amount of hours and effort, something like a Synology like I've had the last 12 years is just much easier.

I'm all up for a pre-built system as long as I can get it to do what I need it to do.

with the amount of hours and effort
Is it ? I thought once it's setup it's done
as I'll be looking to store my wife's and a few other family members
I remember once I was asked to fix a broken laptop turned out the reason it stopped working was there was no room on the hard drive because she filled it all up with photo's. I worked it out she was taking an average of 100 photo's a day - wtf...

If you decide to DIY a solution, I recommend iXsyatems TrueNAS core. It's a BSD based open sourced implementation of modern ZFS, and it's free to use for basically anything you'll ever build at home.

Source: I've bought four petabytes of TrueNAS Scale at work, and also have about 40TB usable at home on their Core line. Really, really good for NAS workloads like backups and inexpensive bulk storage.

Also, ORNL uses TrueNAS Scale in an all-flash flavor at their labs in Tennessee. I personally have met with their director of infrastructure on this topic and they are very happy with it.

If you decide to DIY a solution, I recommend iXsyatems TrueNAS core. It's a BSD based open sourced implementation of modern ZFS, and it's free to use for basically anything you'll ever build at home.

Source: I've bought four petabytes of TrueNAS Scale at work, and also have about 40TB usable at home on their Core line. Really, really good for NAS workloads like backups and inexpensive bulk storage.

Also, ORNL uses TrueNAS Scale in an all-flash flavor at their labs in Tennessee. I personally have met with their director of infrastructure on this topic and they are very happy with it.

Quick question. Does it allow pooling of disparate sized drives into a single RAID level storage pool similar to what you can/could do with Unraid, the old Drobo prebuilt NAS systems (raid 5/6) or WHS version 1 (I miss this product, didn't like version 2 and was sad when the product was killed)?

Regards,
SB

The storage resiliency of TrueNAS is based entirely on ZFS, which requires the same size drives for creating vdevs. However, technically you can construct partitions which are of equal sizes and build vdevs from those. You really shouldn't so that...

The challenge with any mismatched drive sizing system is an over-utilization of the largest drives in the array.

Synology handles disparate drive sizes really well and has allowed me to slowly replace defective and upgrade drives over the last 12 years providing maximized storage whilst retaining single drive failure over the 5 drives.

Again, TrueNAS is what I would recommend for a DIY built-it-yourself solution. If you want something off the shelf then there are dozens of solutions with their own pros and cons to select from.

I mean, you could just type TrueNAS Google photos into, well, Google and check out the very first search result...

I mean, you could have just said that 4 replies ago and reduced the amount of replies to the thread.

And reading the Google results shows it's unreliable, so high chance it won't do what I need it to do.

But hey ho...

You could've searched five posts ago too. :)

Sometimes the path of self-education is more worthwhile than expecting others to answer your questions.

You could've searched five posts ago too. :)

Sometimes the path of self-education is more worthwhile than expecting others to answer your questions.

Except when you have to rely on Google and the never-ending trash of information that it contains, it's better to ask in that case.

But no one actually didn't answer my question from what I can see.

Back