Moving from Intel socket 1700 to AM5 - Can I get away without a fresh install?

After weeks of deciding to dump £230 on a new CPU upgrade (Intel 12700) for what is essentially a dead socket or moving to AM5 I have just ordered an AM5 bundle.

Now with that said, could I get away with not having to do a fresh install of Windows 11?

Make sure you have a C: drive backup before proceeding. I did a Win 7 to Win 10 upgrade twice because I was not satisfied with the upgrade choices/options I made the first time around.

I agree, windows 10/11 are pretty robust in that situation. Even 7 was not bad at all.

I remember, I just remove programs which are probing the hardware like hwinfo&co before changer the hardware. I don't know if it's important or no but I do that every time.

Oh the obvious problems are bloated windows sxs folder. Because way too many drivers (from the old hardware) left dormant

What did you "upgrade" to? What's slower: Windows, games or both? Stock clocks? Carryover or fresh Windows install?

It's not so bad now I've overclocked it.

Spiderman seems to have gained ~20fps on max RT settings.

I've moved to a Ryzen 5 7600 that's not at 5.4Ghz all core and 6000Mhz DDR5.

No doubt Spiderman is loving that DDR5 bandwidth.

I've gained in TLOU also.

12400f at 5.2Ghz all core

Alley.png

Ryzen 5 7600 at 5.4Ghz all core

tlou-i_2023_04_30_01_18_31_233.png

Now I can't imagine that 3.8% difference in clock speed would create the 10% improvement in frame rate.

I still have some more tweaking to do also.

It's weird as the 7600, even at 5.4Ghz is scoring lower on Cinebench R23 and CPU-Z compared to the 12400f but is performing faster in games.

Because I'm not in the US and I got the 7600 for a stupidly low price.
ah , well glad it was a good price ! I am loving my 7700x. The great thing about AMD is how many generations of chips you will be able to put in the same board. I will likely next buy a 9x00 series or 10x00 series in a few years to replace this one

ah , well glad it was a good price ! I am loving my 7700x. The great thing about AMD is how many generations of chips you will be able to put in the same board. I will likely next buy a 9x00 series or 10x00 series in a few years to replace this one

That was the driving factor for me making the jump to AM5 as it just has more life in it over socket 1700.

And as socket 1700 is still worth a decent some in the used market I will get maximum return for my old parts.

After weeks of deciding to dump £230 on a new CPU upgrade (Intel 12700) for what is essentially a dead socket or moving to AM5 I have just ordered an AM5 bundle.

Now with that said, could I get away with not having to do a fresh install of Windows 11?

A little late replying, but it should be fine as other's have said. I have two system that have been running the same "install" of Windows since Windows 7 and one that has been running the same "install" since XP. All of them going through multiple HW changes (MB, CPU, GPU, memory, etc. including between different IHVs).

Regards,
SB

So when setting the RGB up on my new fans and CPU cooler I've become aware of just how much shit is installed on PC so I've decided to nuke it and do a fresh install.

Just in the process of backing up save games and what not.

Also need to decide what I'm doing storage wise.

I have:

• 1x Western Digital 1TB NVMe @ 3.6GB/s
  • 1x Kioxia 1TB NVMe @ 1.7GB/s
  • 2x Kioxia 480GB SSD's @ 550MB/s

I'm thinking do I get rid of the Kioxia drives and replace them with a single 2TB Kingston NVMe @ 3.5GB/s for £77.49 (The sale of all 3 Kioxia drive's will cover nearly the total cost of this drive)

Or get rid of the SATA III SSD's (And also 2x SATA and power cables that go with it) and get a second Kioxia 1TB NVMe @ 1.7GB/s for £43.48 (Again, the sale of the SATA III SSD's will likely cover the cost) - I could also RAID 0 them?

But anyway, back to air cooling now, and I'm looking at a new case maybe, we'll see.

Attachments

• IMG20230502001746.jpg
    IMG20230502001746.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 6
I'd personally spend a bit more and get a P3 (3.5 GB/s) or P3+ (5 GB/s) Crucial SSD. A little more but like Samsung (but not like Samsung's price) they make their own NAND chips and their quality control is absolutely phenomenal for the price you pay. Samsung drives are faster and more expensive but Crucial drives are generally more reliable and priced right around budget SSD levels.

The 4 TB drives are actually reasonably priced that I went with a P3+ 4 TB drive for the last SSD I bought.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Back