Gears of War Ultimate edition for windows 10

On a related topic I just re installed the original Gears of War
and it would'nt run unless I set the date to june 2008

Why Gears of War Ultimate fails to deliver on PC

Tears for Gears: poor performance, lackluster upgrades plus a laundry list of issues with Windows 10 and UWP.

Frame-pacing that cannot be fixed: Once in the game, it's clear that Gears Ultimate suffers from frame-pacing issues when the frame-rate cap is engaged. Why engage the cap at all, you may ask? Well, despite running well on relatively low-power Xbox One hardware, this is one demanding game on PC - an overclocked i7 5820K/GTX 970 combo simply isn't enough to deliver a completely stable 60fps at 1080p, let alone 1440p and higher. That's where the 30fps cap comes in handy - in theory, it should allow you to ramp up the quality settings and still get a consistent experience. In fact, it is actually the default setting here but this particular implementation doesn't quite work as we'd hope. We often see unique and duplicate frames clustered together out of order resulting in noticeable judder - something you don't see on Xbox One.

Universal Windows Platform: Tying directly into our previous issue, we have Microsoft's controversial UWP initiative. Basically, UWP programs lack support for exclusive full-screen (meaning it's impossible to turn off v-sync - something Microsoft is working on) and are unable to take advantage of third party tools such as Riva Tuner Statistics Server. The Windows format container eliminates the possibility for user-created mods, also making it incredibly difficult to make adjustments and fixes to the title outside of the game. Also, title availability is limited to the Window 10 Marketplace - which currently has no wording in place to suggest that software purchased through this store will remain available in perpetuity.

When taken together, you're looking at something closer to a console game than a proper PC game without the guarantee that you'll be able to play it years down the road - a sticky point for us when considering that any games purchased through the now defunct "Games for Windows Marketplace" are no longer available for download. When you encounter issues with a game - and we certainly did - it suddenly becomes dramatically more difficult or impossible to work around them thanks to UWP. Once again, it's clear that The Coalition can only do so much within the UWP environment but we certainly hope that user complaints resonate with the right individuals in order to enact a change here. We're all for more choice in the PC space, but as things stand right now, the UWP set-up is actually taking away options from PC gamers.

Terrible choice of game for UWP if you ask me. But maybe in future it would allow for a good mobile ready platform, but Gears is the last rather than the first game I would have started off with.

Terrible choice of game for UWP if you ask me. But maybe in future it would allow for a good mobile ready platform, but Gears is the last rather than the first game I would have started off with.
Rise of the Tomb Raider was the first. And out of all of the UWP games released, Gears of War Ultimate Edition is indeed the last.

So, well done Microsoft! :mrgreen:

Rise of the Tomb Raider was the first. And out of all of the UWP games released, Gears of War Ultimate Edition is indeed the last.

So, well done Microsoft! :mrgreen:

Until the next ...

But I bought Rise of the Tombraider on Steam. I don't see Gears of War on Steam ... I am fine with a game being released on UWP with the intent of forcing it within confines that makes it run on all platforms that UWP targets, but for a game like this, such confines seem like a bad idea.

But I bought Rise of the Tombraider on Steam. I don't see Gears of War on Steam ... I am fine with a game being released on UWP with the intent of forcing it within confines that makes it run on all platforms that UWP targets, but for a game like this, such confines seem like a bad idea.

Unless Microsoft has changed their release policies, Gears of War Ultimate will likely appear on Steam in 6-12 months. That's how they typically release Microsoft published titles that initially release in the Windows Store.

Regards,
SB

Why Gears of War Ultimate fails to deliver on PC

Universal Windows Platform: Tying directly into our previous issue, we have Microsoft's controversial UWP initiative. Basically, UWP programs lack support for exclusive full-screen

Not a problem for me. I personally hate games that force exclusive fullscreen. I've been playing all my games in either windowed mode or fullscreen windowed mode for over a decade now. Earlier in the decade games demanding full screen exclusive access was a huge problem, thankfully now it is much less so.

Still I guess it'd be nice if the people that wanted it could have access to it. But personally I'm glad it's gone. Even now some games get released without proper windowed support which is just horrible, IMO.

Regards,
SB

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless Microsoft has changed their release policies, Gears of War Ultimate will likely appear on Steam in 6-12 months. That's how they typically release Microsoft published titles that initially release in the Windows Store.

Regards,
SB
So not really valid comparison then? Rise of the Tomb Raider on PC was on Steam at the same time I think?

Alt-tab with minimizing is a stupid thing of the past that should have died years ago on PC. It's not a console. If I want to switch to my browser to look something up, change the music I'm playing, checking something on my NAS, I can do so easily without repercussions on possible crashes and without annoying full screen switches.

I can also play 2 games at once if I like. Often I've had AO MMO in a monitor while playing D3 as well.

5mdbx26.jpg

Tommy McClain

So not really valid comparison then? Rise of the Tomb Raider on PC was on Steam at the same time I think?

Microsoft Published games. Rise of the Tomb Raider was published by Square Enix. Microsoft only provided some additional funding to complete development of the title in exchange for some exclusivity.

Regards,
SB

Alt-tab with minimizing is a stupid thing of the past that should have died years ago on PC. It's not a console. If I want to switch to my browser to look something up, change the music I'm playing, checking something on my NAS, I can do so easily without repercussions on possible crashes and without annoying full screen switches.

I can also play 2 games at once if I like. Often I've had AO MMO in a monitor while playing D3 as well.

I do that quite frequently. Having anywhere from 1-3 games open at the same time (especially when I was big into Clicker Heroes). In some MMO's there's a lot of downtime either due to just socializing, waiting on dungeon queues, or waiting for your raid to form.

And to answer Davros. Yes, just like Malo, I like the freedom of being able to easily use multiple programs in a multi-tasking operating system. Exclusive mode is the antithesis of that, rarely do I want to be inconveniently tied to one and only one application and then have to sit there and wait while it minimizes and loads the desktop to access another program (like IM, web, etc.) and then wait while it brings the game back up. Or just as bad with improperly done windowed mode (like Warhammer Dawn of War 2) where you can put it into windowed mode, but it suspends the program when you switch to another app (making multiplayer in it awkward if you need to go to another program for any reason).

And interestingly enough there have been some games recently that perform better in full screen windowed mode than they do in full screen exclusive mode. Can't recall what they are off-hand, but remember helping some friends when they were having performance issues.

Having said all that I have to give huge kudos to the developers of Grim Dawn. They have by far the best windowed mode I've seen. Sometimes you want a game to run slower while in windowed mode and sometimes not. Some developers will default to half refresh rate rendering when not in focus, some don't. Some give you the option of one or the other. Grim dawn not only gives you the option but also allows you to choose how slowly the game will run when it is not in focus.

Regards,
SB

Back