Changing Windows 7 boot/system partition

Kaotik

Drunk Member
Legend
Supporter
EDIT: For moderator, could you please rename the thread to Win7 instead of Vista, they both use the same bootmanager so it's not that important, but it's a annoying detail gone wrong at this late hour

Some background
I had 2 HDDs, Vista installed on Disk0 / Partition 1, with all the system/boot etc stuff on it.
Then I bought a new drive, put it to SATA4 slot on my motherboard and created 2 partitions on it.
After this, I turned off the computer and rearranged the wires a bit
The new HDD is now in SATA1, old Disk0 (was in SATA1) is in SATA2, and 2nd old drive in SATA3, moving the optical to SATA4

Then I proceeded to install Windows 7, I don't remember why, but I ended up deleting the first partition on the new HDD and re-created it, and installed Win7 on it.

Everything went fine until today, excluding the oddity that the installation completely ignored the existence of current boot records on my old primary HDD and the whole existence of Vista, so no dualboot for me now. But today, I wanted to completely erase my old "secondary hdd".
What I found at Computer Management's Disk Management was that the old secondary hdd's first partition, now Disk2 / Partition 1, had some of Win7's boot files, with dir /ah it showed bootmgr and \boot\ stuff in there, disc management marks it as "System" drive while the Disk0 (new HDD) partition 1 is marked as Boot, page file and everything else.

So obviously I can't just go and delete the partitions on that old secondary drive, so I need to somehow get the stuff to Disk0 / Partition 1 instead

Here's what BCDEdit shows me:
Code:
Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier              {9dea862c-5cdd-4e70-acc1-f32b344d4795}
device                  partition=X:
description             Windows Boot Manager
locale                  en-US
inherit                 {7ea2e1ac-2e61-4728-aaa3-896d9d0a9f0e}
default                 {f3397abd-ddf2-11dd-a60b-acaa17a36c57}
resumeobject            {f3397abc-ddf2-11dd-a60b-acaa17a36c57}
displayorder            {f3397abd-ddf2-11dd-a60b-acaa17a36c57}
toolsdisplayorder       {b2721d73-1db4-4c62-bf78-c548a880142d}
timeout                 30

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier              {f3397abd-ddf2-11dd-a60b-acaa17a36c57}
device                  partition=C:
path                    \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description             Windows 7
locale                  en-US
inherit                 {6efb52bf-1766-41db-a6b3-0ee5eff72bd7}
recoverysequence        {f3397abe-ddf2-11dd-a60b-acaa17a36c57}
recoveryenabled         Yes
osdevice                partition=C:
systemroot              \Windows
resumeobject            {f3397abc-ddf2-11dd-a60b-acaa17a36c57}
nx                      OptIn

But from here, I have no clue on how to move forward on getting everything from X: to C:

Anyone got any tips on how to do it?

something similar happened to me xp on c: vista on d:
but when i boot into vista it swaps the drive letters and vista is on c: and xp on d:

you could just bring up the bios boot menu and tell it to boot from drive x: that may work

something similar happened to me xp on c: vista on d:
but when i boot into vista it swaps the drive letters and vista is on c: and xp on d:

you could just bring up the bios boot menu and tell it to boot from drive x: that may work

It does "boot" from there, that's the Win7's boot menu and that's the problem, what I need is to get it moved to C instead so I can wipe the whole HDD with the X partition on it

so you installed windows 7 and then changed all the sata channels that was bloody clever - your certainly live up to your name :D

google restoring vistas bootloader or try putting the drives back to the original sata ports they where in when you installed win7 boot into vista and run a system restore

so you installed windows 7 and then changed all the sata channels that was bloody clever - your certainly live up to your name :D

google restoring vistas bootloader or try putting the drives back to the original sata ports they where in when you installed win7 boot into vista and run a system restore

No, I changed the ports before installing.

I think you completely misunderstood what I want - I don't care about the Vista installation, I just want the Win7 boot/system stuff that for unknown reason ended up on Disk2/Partition 1 (X: ) to Disk0/Partition1 (C: )

hmhmhm

You do realize that Win7 was installed on X: and this letter's been imprinted in all files and registry settings?

KISS: Disconnect all hdds, connect only the one you need, then install win7 into whaterver partitin is C:.

hmhmhm

You do realize that Win7 was installed on X: and this letter's been imprinted in all files and registry settings?

KISS: Disconnect all hdds, connect only the one you need, then install win7 into whaterver partitin is C:.

No, guess I was tired when writing the original stuff at least, only Win7 related thing that ended up on X: was the actual boot manager, everything else went where I wanted, the new C: of the new HDD.

Anyway, I got it solved with this
http://forums.techguy.org/6064703-post3.html

Back