Gears of War 2

Videogame sequels are always supposed to improve despite being rehashes so just like Halo 2 improved over Halo 1, I am not surprised that GoW2 improves over GoW1.

What I am puzzled is as to why they have to insist that you must be a "hater" in particular...

However when I bring up the word "rehash" its a stark reference to reviewers in general and how they were viewing 2d fighters from Capcom during their heyday (specially during Dreamcast days) only they were using it then as a negative term I guess implying that those games should have gone 3d, but thats another topic, reviews make for great entertainment in the eventual purchase of a game be them positive or negative despite how positive or negative reviewers have been.

But didnt you listen to the review?
It "retained its identity" like all "sequels should" and didnt attempt to change a formula that already worked. (paraphrasing here)

Attended the launch event in our city last night. played the game in co-op mode for around two hours. I reached the place where Skorje is introduced I guess. The game is fine, from what I have played, the experience is smoother and the changes in graphics have more to do with art than technology. The environments are all bright this time making ithem look completelydifferent from the dark environments of GeOW1. The character lighting seems better coz his back towards the camera is illuminated too this time. Here also, the improvements were more due to art as they have put prominent lines on Marcus's back textures to make details pop-out, while the light seems to be an ambient light.
Again, I had played the original Gears on PC, so I might be missing some improvements like texture resolutions and all(If they have been upped).

The portions we played, the beginning, the Derrick portions where we kill Brumaks, the tunnel sequence and then the sequence underground in the locust home, felt similar to Gears 1 in gamelpay. The changes are more to do with the look of the environments than the gameplay.
The tunnel section was cool, as there was no light and the Derrick behind us was casting some light in which we had to find and kill Tickers. That felt exciting and new.
The underground area looks great too.

The places where the locust came in huge numbers(the Derrik sequence) did not impress much as the Locust crowd are so far away that you can hardly see any details.They might have been all lowest LOD instances.

Also, the game leads you by the hand all the way. In-fact , the guy who I was playing with (a forum friend), also kept complaining that why does Marcus have to talk so much on the phone(whateveris in his ear) why can't we play !!

Thiose were my impressions from last night. People can disagree !

Also, the game leads you by the hand all the way. In-fact , the guy who I was playing with (a forum friend), also kept complaining that why does Marcus have to talk so much on the phone(whateveris in his ear) why can't we play !!

Weren't those sequences put in to hide loading in the first game?

Big, better and more badass indeed. Gears 2 delivers.

IGN: 9.5
TeamXbox: 9.8
OXM UK: 9.0
Empire Online: 5/5
1up: A
Gamespy: 5/5
Giant Bomb: 10/10
X360 Magazine UK: 10/10
VideoGamer: 10/10
360 Gamer Magazine UK: 9/10
Level7.nu: 9/10
Computer and Video Games: 9.3/10
GameTrailers: 9.5

Awesomeness confirmed. You kids ready for this weekend?

Gamespot 9.0

The Good

• All-new, great-looking environments
  • New weapons, grenades, and melee attacks
  • Excellent new multiplayer modes, especially Horde
  • Drop-in co-op support with independent difficulty
  • Same exciting Gears action you know and love.
The Bad

• Fiddly controls in vehicular sections
  • Too many unresolved plot strands.

Again, I had played the original Gears on PC, so I might be missing some improvements like texture resolutions and all(If they have been upped).

Texture detail on Marcus has certainly been increased; but I can't tell if it's more resolution or just better efficiency. Probably the former.

Can anyone confirm if all cutscenes are in-game real time or in-game post (encoded movies). On the PC version of the first game, I noticed some cutscenes were not in-game real time, but encoded movies.

lame that all the review sites have it but you can't buy it yet :(
Resistance 2 until Friday I guess...

Also, I forgot to mention that the best part about the game are the cutscenes. They are beautifully done.
Hrmm, do the cutscenes run notably slower than the actual game in the sequel? My primary complaint about the first game was cutscenes ran so slowly, almost to the point that I felt quesy/motion sick... and I never get motion sickness in games. It really detracted from the ambience of the game.

I'm still on the fence as to whether I pick this up on Friday. I'm having so much fun with Fallout, and Fable is sitting there waiting for me too. But I'm hardly the kind to miss out on launch-day excitement ;)

Can anyone confirm if all cutscenes are in-game real time or in-game post (encoded movies). On the PC version of the first game, I noticed some cutscenes were not in-game real time, but encoded movies.

Most of the cutscenes in Gears 2 (except those static ones with conversations) are prerendered.
You can clearly see that because of the huge compression artefacts (really, what was Epic thinking ?!?).
No bragging rights about graphics in the cutscenes i'm afraid :(

Wasn't the Lancer exclusive to Amazon?

I believe so. I usually buy at Best Buy for the Reward Zone points. If the local base exchange has it, I get it there, because it tax free although they are the worst at keeping items in stock.

I'm hoping the Lancer is a timed exclusive with Amazon and released later with retailers.

In the GT videoreview, or maybe the IGN video review, they hinted about what the "meat cube demo" was used for. Anyone know or have footage of what that is in the game? :smile:

Most of the cutscenes in Gears 2 (except those static ones with conversations) are prerendered.
You can clearly see that because of the huge compression artefacts (really, what was Epic thinking ?!?).
No bragging rights about graphics in the cutscenes i'm afraid :(

That is a real shame. I guess the 360 can't keep a smooth FPS with them in real-time.

Back