Gears of War 2

That's pretty ridiculous... but pretty cool, in a completely stupid way. It does make me laugh at CliffyB waxing philosophical about game design, though.

Yep my thoughts exactly. Its probably the most memorable part of the game in a good way if you can get past its total stupidness.

I found it funny watching some of the vids on Gears2 where they're talking about how it's "art" and how it's all cinematic. To me, the Gears games are the video game equivalent of cinematic masterpieces like Independence Day and the Chronicles of Riddick. All I want is solid gameplay, which is what I think we'll get. The story is better laughable than ineffectively serious.

I found it funny watching some of the vids on Gears2 where they're talking about how it's "art" and how it's all cinematic. To me, the Gears games are the video game equivalent of cinematic masterpieces like Independence Day and the Chronicles of Riddick. All I want is solid gameplay, which is what I think we'll get. The story is better laughable than ineffectively serious.

The problem is it IS ineffectively serious storywise, it trys to take itself seriously even with all the stupidness. If they were a little more tongue in cheek about it it wouldnt be so bad!

If they have great gameplay that doesn't fit in with the story, they have 2 options : 1) give up on it or 2) shoe-horn it in. I've found designing LBP stuff that limiting oneself to a realistic setting makes it far, far harder to incorporate good gameplay. If you ignore all sense and throw in random elements, you have a lot more freedom to create gameplay. In the case of LBP, the whole premise allows that (but my level design doesn't!) and the creators have a lot of freedom. With Gears, the premise is very constricting to gameplay. I guess the developers decided Story was a back-seat priority and through it aside to add Funness.

If they have great gameplay that doesn't fit in with the story, they have 2 options : 1) give up on it or 2) shoe-horn it in. I've found designing LBP stuff that limiting oneself to a realistic setting makes it far, far harder to incorporate good gameplay. If you ignore all sense and throw in random elements, you have a lot more freedom to create gameplay. In the case of LBP, the whole premise allows that (but my level design doesn't!) and the creators have a lot of freedom. With Gears, the premise is very constricting to gameplay. I guess the developers decided Story was a back-seat priority and through it aside to add Funness.

I agree, but they actually put a lot more emphasis on story this time around which realy doesnt make sense with the direction they took this in. They could have fit a similar environment in a more realistic manner, its the way the created a stupid story thread to justify it thats the problem i have with it.

Nice colours (windows are a wee bit too repetitive though ;) ) . The detail on the lancer stands out to me as well. :)

That guy who took the pictures seems to have set his TV to 'Sharpnes +100'.
Seriously, it almost looks like the results of an Edgedetect filter. Must be pretty terrible to sit in front of it if it looks like this on a photo.

Shadowrunner: you are aware that even the original Gears had like 3 different color saturation settings, right?

That guy who took the pictures seems to have set his TV to 'Sharpnes +100'.
Seriously, it almost looks like the results of an Edgedetect filter. Must be pretty terrible to sit in front of it if it looks like this on a photo.

Shadowrunner: you are aware that even the original Gears had like 3 different color saturation settings, right?

Yea i remember that but havent checked on this one because i kind of assume the default setting is how the developers designed the game to look, looking at the pics though i might investigate further.
The game also used heavy colour filter depending on area. At one point you are in a mountaintop cave and a heavy blue filter is applied to the whole scene. It looks good when the cavern is lit up but looks really bad to me in total darkness because areas that should be pitch black are a deep blue instead. It totaly ruined one scene that would have been cool otherwise. Ill try and provide a pic of what i mean later. I actuall thought there was something wrong with my projector so plugged in the LCD instead but it was the same :cry:

I like it. The calm before the storm... no use of violence to make their point. Where's Baird :eek:

It does feel like the touch of the Halo3 marketing team though. MS talked about them handling Gears 2, right?

Back