Gears of War 2

Really dissappointing ! Gears of War 2 has been announced and a cool Unreal Engine 3 tech demo shown, and there's no thread about it on Beyond3d?!?:oops:

I came in thinking that the forums all over would have exploded by now !;)

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=46936&page=2

Already going on here.

Very cool vids posted here. and some talk about it, but its not exactly an explosion.

Its cool, but its not so far betond what we have already seen. Back in 2004 when the NV40 launched and they did the UE3 tech demo at e3 and also the GDC before that.. NOW THAT WAS DROOL. I havent drooled like that since.

Something tells me I probably wont till DX11 ue4 comes out.

Cant wait.!

EDIT: did you just stealth edit your post?

I'm hyped, I guess.

Looks a lot similar to Gears 1 in the main. Hopefull the actual game combines the improvements to look better than we can tell from this dark tech demo.

I really thought the trailer was well done as a teaser. I think people were let down it wasn't gameplay, but since I knew that going in, it worked for me.

I just hope we dont have to wait all the way until E3 for proper footage.

Frankly speaking ( I know I am inviting trouble here), but Gears 1 didn't turn out to be as awesome as I had hoped. From all those tech demos of UE3, those wonderful creature designs, I was awed and thought "Why don't they make a game with those, instead of just making tech demos?" and Voila! they announced GeOW !
I was floored with the art. But when I did play Gears on PC, (I don't buy faulty products!;)) I was totalyy underwhelmed !:cry: It felt to me as if I was just supposed to run and point at the guy and click !

I know all FPS are like that. Its just that , under all the beautiful drapery, it had no muscles. I didn't finish it!
I am inviting more trouble here,:cool: but Uncharted , with the variety provided by melee fights , felt more interesting and complete .(After I bought a ps 3 , of course)

Oh! By the Way, the soft body Sim looks Super awesome, I mean the viscous liquid looked very "fantasy real". Will, love to see in games !

I'm hyped, I guess.

Looks a lot similar to Gears 1 in the main. Hopefull the actual game combines the improvements to look better than we can tell from this dark tech demo.

I really thought the trailer was well done as a teaser. I think people were let down it wasn't gameplay, but since I knew that going in, it worked for me.

I just hope we dont have to wait all the way until E3 for proper footage.

None of the footage they showed at the conference was from GeOW 2, it was just an example of the improvements they have made to UE III using Gears assets. I imagine the proper unveiling for GeOW 2 will come at E3, when the focus of the conference will be on the games rather than the developers.

I have never finished gears on single player but I did finish it in co-op. It was a fine ride from beginning to start, but once you have been there and done that, I don't think you want to do it again. (Atleast I didn't) Awesome game with no replay value however. :p

Hopefully they have improved from the near perfect product, but it remains to be seen.

With all that water tech, I hope we see some sea creatures to do battle with. ;) Who knows what's lurking in their sewers? And certainly with the ability to display many characters on-screen, I hope to see a bigger scale battle ala the end battle of Act 2.

I don't think we'll see hundreds during gameplay (a good number of characters still), but certainly for a cut-scene they could go all out on the pimpage.

Destructable environments will also add a lot of interesting things to the game play. This was supposed to be the biggest feature of BF:Bad Company, but I haven't yet seen a single video on that game that is as impressive as the one in this tech demo.

However, I am not sure if approximating ambient occlusion as frame post-processing will give you a lighting quality similar to a real ambient occlusion implementation. I was not impressed with that part of the tech demo.

screen space AO. like in crysis.And project offset.
SSAO is a not so great solution.It comes with a lot of constraints and problems.It doesn't work 100% cases :wrong z occlusion ,artefacts ,and cannot use anything that is not in the screenspace to contribute.

Advantages over static baked occulsion are mainly for dynamic objects and memory.For everything static ,Baked AO is much better.

Destructable environments will also add a lot of interesting things to the game play. This was supposed to be the biggest feature of BF:Bad Company, but I haven't yet seen a single video on that game that is as impressive as the one in this tech demo.

I'm not sure if they'll be offering the same level of destruction as Bad Company. It seems more like shooting chunks out of the wall, or blowing apart doors. Bad Company lets you level pretty much anything (an entire building top to bottom), with all the physics interactions that would require. So, they're not quite equivalent.

I haven't played through Gears of War yet. My PC couldn't handle it. Hopefully I'll have a 360 by the time the sequel is out.

I'm gonna hold out for the PC version this time. Played the 360 version of Gears and it was great but kinda wish I had waited now. It doesn't seem worth buying the game a second time though just for better graphics and a little extra content.

I hope they will be released closer to each other this time but I won't hold my breath.

I'm not sure if they'll be offering the same level of destruction as Bad Company. It seems more like shooting chunks out of the wall, or blowing apart doors. Bad Company lets you level pretty much anything (an entire building top to bottom), with all the physics interactions that would require. So, they're not quite equivalent.

I haven't played through Gears of War yet. My PC couldn't handle it. Hopefully I'll have a 360 by the time the sequel is out.

The tech demo shows everything is pretty much destructable. It is not only shooting chunks out of the wall. In the demo, he basically created a hole in the ground and he could have gone to one level below from that hole had it not covered by iron bars. In addition, he also destroyed one of the support columns in the room with the torque bows. And, in both cases, the scene still did look great which was unfortunately not the case with BF:BC.

But, you have a point also. If -say- a bulding does not come down when you shoot most of the supports, then this feature will be only for cosmetic reasons. Physical simulation is a whole another story obviously.

If -say- a bulding does not come down when you shoot most of the supports, then this feature will be only for cosmetic reasons.
That seems to be the case from what I saw. The entire environment is still held up by the indestructible steel supports. It moves stuff around, of course.. bits of the wall end up on the floor, etc, but otherwise it appears to be purely cosmetic. BF: Bad Company at least changes the environment.. when you blow a hole in a wall, you can then walk through that hole.

The tech demo shows everything is pretty much destructable. It is not only shooting chunks out of the wall. In the demo, he basically created a hole in the ground and he could have gone to one level below from that hole had it not covered by iron bars.
it's that presence of iron affecting the physical changes to the playing field that matter though. He shot a hole in the floor but is didn't affect where the character could move. He shot a column but only blew off the covering and the structural item remained. It looked like a fixed structure that could not be changed covered with destructible materials for cosmetic effect. Not that that's a bad thing IMO. Many games haven't had even that, with bullet holes just being a little black dot on the wall. The difference between shooting of the surface of a column and blowing a column aware so half a building collapses in a heap around is extreme!

Back