Gears of War 2

It is a bit shame that Gears of War always have to compete with Bethesda RPGs for Game of The Year awards.

I am still not sure whether to get this game though, the gameplay mechanic I hate it. A button should be adhering to walls only, and LB for Roadie run ergonomically suits me best, but I often see myself sticking to wall when what I want is running along the wall.

It is a bit shame that Gears of War always have to compete with Bethesda RPGs for Game of The Year awards.

I am still not sure whether to get this game though, the gameplay mechanic I hate it. A button should be adhering to walls only, and LB for Roadie run ergonomically suits me best, but I often see myself sticking to wall when what I want is running along the wall.

They've fixed it this time. Apart from eliminating the sticking problem, there are alternative controls now that provide separate buttons for cover and the other actions.

Reviews are popping up. Eurogamer gave it a 9/10, which is a top score considering they gave the first game an 8. 1Up gave it an A, too.

Reviews are popping up. Eurogamer gave it a 9/10, which is a top score considering they gave the first game an 8. 1Up gave it an A, too.

The platforming mention in the 1up review worries me a bit, and I was sorta hoping that the 'split paths' thing was gone, as it was my least favorite part of the game last time around (I intend to play mostly coop).

The platforming mention in the 1up review worries me a bit, and I was sorta hoping that the 'split paths' thing was gone, as it was my least favorite part of the game last time around (I intend to play mostly coop).

The split paths things allows each player to set their own difficulty this time, I think. That should help quite a bit.

Big, better and more badass indeed. Gears 2 delivers.

IGN: 9.5
TeamXbox: 9.8
OXM UK: 9.0
Empire Online: 5/5
1up: A
Gamespy: 5/5
Giant Bomb: 10/10
X360 Magazine UK: 10/10
VideoGamer: 10/10
360 Gamer Magazine UK: 9/10
Level7.nu: 9/10
Computer and Video Games: 9.3/10
GameTrailers: 9.5

Awesomeness confirmed. You kids ready for this weekend?

[gt]42155[/gt]

Gametrailers.com has a very positive, albeit too positive review on GoW2...

I mean how can they score the first game a 9.0 and the sequel gets a higher score even though its a rehash and they admit the game is not that different yet imply "you must be a hater" to not want to play or buy the game.

The split paths things allows each player to set their own difficulty this time, I think. That should help quite a bit.

Actually, thinking back, the 'separate paths' part I hated the most was the mine cart. A few others were really cool, like that one where you provide one team with support from above against the torque bow guys.

I mean how can they score the first game a 9.0 and the sequel gets a higher score even though its a rehash and they admit the game is not that different yet imply "you must be a hater" to not want to play or buy the game.

That's sorta expected, though. It's something that was brought up in another big game's review thread on a different forum; I don't doubt that GeoW2's SP is superior to that other game's, but if you're gonna hold 'more of the same' against one game, you probably should for the other too. But I'll hold off on my 'game reviewers suck' tirade for once.

[gt]42155[/gt]

Because the "rehash" improves on the first one. You get a better multiplayer, controls are better, obviously presentation is a lot better, better story, varied campagin, horde mode, etc....

Because the "rehash" improves on the first one. You get a better multiplayer, controls are better, obviously presentation is a lot better, better story, varied campagin, horde mode, etc....

Videogame sequels are always supposed to improve despite being rehashes so just like Halo 2 improved over Halo 1, I am not surprised that GoW2 improves over GoW1.

What I am puzzled is as to why they have to insist that you must be a "hater" in particular...

However when I bring up the word "rehash" its a stark reference to reviewers in general and how they were viewing 2d fighters from Capcom during their heyday (specially during Dreamcast days) only they were using it then as a negative term I guess implying that those games should have gone 3d, but thats another topic, reviews make for great entertainment in the eventual purchase of a game be them positive or negative despite how positive or negative reviewers have been.

This game is awsome. It came in to the store today and I took it home early. I've been playing horde mode all day. Its great stuff

Does anyone know if Best Buy will be carrying the LE version?
The website only indicates the regular sku.

From what I can recall, the LE had to be pre ordered and now many places are not taking LE pre orders. Ofcourse, there's a good chance there will be a tons of LE's like the cat helmet for Halo3.

From what I can recall, the LE had to be pre ordered and now many places are not taking LE pre orders. Ofcourse, there's a good chance there will be a tons of LE's like the cat helmet for Halo3.

Hey, I resemble that remark.
Yeah, I fell for the marketing hype and paid full price for my cat helmet only to see it drop by almost 66% months later.

Halo 2, Halo 3 and Gears 1 are the only LE versions I've bought. I want the LE version of GOW2, but will wait to see if mass discounts ensue for the Lancer replica.

Hopefully one is available when I get off work on Friday as I decided to not pre-order this time.

I was gonna get the cat helmet also. Had it pre ordered and everything. Then the cat ran away, likely from me grinning while showing it a picture of the helmet :(, so I went down to the collectors edition.

Watching the GT review kind of made me sick, really really amatuer and inconsistent.

Still, getting it day 1 for the b-movie story.

Back