Gears of War 2

Are you sure? I mean, you know these people? I have no idea myself, I just know that common wisdom is that using an unlocked console gets you banned. But at the same time I've heard that MS has no way to check, and people play on pirated versions all the time. I've never seen independent verification one way or the other, just talk from 'guys on forums'.

Yes, for certain. There are some guys from an IRC chat room i occasionally frequent who have modded the boxes and have had the actual consoles banned from live. Again, the gamertags are ok but the box itself is banned, using the console ID# I presume. Banning boxes is real and as new modding measures are dreamt up, it seems MS figures out a way of detecting and then banning, wave by wave.

EDIT: Mind you, I dont know where the war between modders and MS stands right now, and if there are undetectable modding procedures at the moment, but I know for certain some methods in the past had been identified. Just based on some of the conversation it seems that those who modded the box are staying clear of Live but I dont get into the details with them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reminds me of the awesomeness of having one of your friends with a modded 360 who chooses to download and play YOUR game when you would have just GIVEN him the game...unbelievable. Anyway, one of MSFT games got his console banned (karma I guess) but it was just the console, his gamertag and gamerscore are fine unlike what they do to people who use saves to get more Achievement Points which is zero out their score and mark their gamercard as a cheater.

While I was understandably upset, he falls into the category that regardless of how much money he makes (more than me) he will never buy a game, newsgroups are his lifesblood, so it isn't a "lost sale" but it was/is still irritating. Actually, he did buy Halo 3 and Guitar Hero 3...thats been it for this entire generation everything else was a download :devilish:

I would bet money he is one of the people playing Gears 2 now.
Pirates can make you money but only if your game has tons of DLC, like let's say Rock Band. I have a "friend" who is playing FC2 (I'm pretty sure it's not a legal copy) but he also has a lot of Rock Band DLC.

Back to subject, Gears of War 2 isn't a 1st day buy for me because there's only one game with that distinction (Rock Band 2) but I'm really interested in it.

thats the first Ive heard about the xbox360 being hacked (though I dont follow the news)
hmmm I wonder if this explains somewhat the closeness of sales in the UK between the xbox360+ps3 with FIFA2009, even though theres 900k more xbox360s there, How rife is xbox360 modding, any hard data?

thats the first Ive heard about the xbox360 being hacked (though I dont follow the news)
hmmm I wonder if this explains somewhat the closeness of sales in the UK between the xbox360+ps3 with FIFA2009, even though theres 900k more xbox360s there, How rife is xbox360 modding, any hard data?

It's not a hack of the console, it's only a mod of the frimware of the DVD-player, so you can play copies games…
Remember Piracies facilities is one of the reasons so many people bought PS1, and PS2…
When you're a kid with no money you happy when some one give you the possibilities to play all the fantastics games that Medias and rich kids speaking all the time, and you're not a "loser" you had playing the so awaited game three weeks before the others… So you become a "Leader"…
Piracy games and other medias, actually, is not only for playing free but also for playing before the others… For Kids and Teens is really important, and sadly also for many adults.:cry:
It's a colateral damage of our consommation society, the Need to have all before the others…

I am banned personally so it is true you *can* get banned, but with the latest custom firmwares they have blocked the checks that MS was using though so it is now much more rare. The newest drives are pretty much unhackable now though, without soldering atleast.

With regards to Gears 2 im realy not too impressed with it so far like i was with the original. I think im just getting sick of shooters to be honest, playing it feels just like more of the same.

I hope posting this is not against forum rules , if it is remove please ;

Here's a cap from GeoW2 ;

mkixqr.jpg

Look at the head of him [ Marcus ? ] and the gun , looks like concept art but this is ingame ... Was the first game like this too or is this a !tweak! to keep fps steady ?..

Btw , here's the link to whole pic ; [ http://img378.imageshack.us/img378/6013/img00231kj9.jpg ] ...

I hope posting this is not against forum rules , if it is remove please ;

Here's a cap from GeoW2 ;

mkixqr.jpg

Look at the head of him [ Marcus ? ] and the gun , looks like concept art but this is ingame ... Was the first game like this too or is this a !tweak! to keep fps steady ?..

Maybe a bad burned copy, textures taking a long time to pop in?

the first one had a wierd glitch that you could easily see in multiplayer but sometimes in co-op also. It would take a little bit for the second or third (whatever) pass to render so you'd get charcters or enviorments that were missing the bump map texture. Perhaps its in this game also.

the first one had a wierd glitch that you could easily see in multiplayer but sometimes in co-op also. It would take a little bit for the second or third (whatever) pass to render so you'd get charcters or enviorments that were missing the bump map texture. Perhaps its in this game also.

Yep i have experienced this(singleplayer), maybe installing the game to the hard drive when the option is available will remedy this.

So far it seems enemys are using cover much more effectively than what i remember from the first game. It kind of forces you to move around from cover to cover and flank the enemy more.

ILook at the head of him [ Marcus ? ] and the gun , looks like concept art but this is ingame ... Was the first game like this too or is this a !tweak! to keep fps steady ?..

It looks like a DOF (depth-of-field) effect on the head and gun. When you freeze them in a screenshot, they never look as convincing as a real "bokeh" effect from a camera lens.

Oh yeah , like to explain why that monsters not affected by this ?.. Marcus is not photogenic maybe , huh ?..

It got the lock of having this blurfilter, like the ones used for photomodels to smooth out skin imperfections. Also it was taken with a blackberry 8100 series mobile phone?

It got the lock of having this blurfilter, like the ones used for photomodels to smooth out skin imperfections. Also it was taken with a blackberry 8100 series mobile phone?

It is DOF. When aiming at somthing at a distance marcus gets blurred out. When aiming at something close like a wall or floor next to ya it is totally crisp. it only applies the effect in aim mode too.

About 2/3 the way through so far. The story is pretty terrible especially when it takes it into the realms of totaly unbelievable. Its just one big cliche so far. The situations you find yourself in mid game are more zelda than GeOW too! Its still cool though, ive never seen so much blood in a game or film before, your head to toe in the stuff at one point!

Its still cool though, ive never seen so much blood in a game or film before, your head to toe in the stuff at one point!

Does it have more blood than Bloody Zombies? :|

Could you clarify your story comment (without spoilers if you can)? Do you mean, Marcus goes to space kind of fantasy or marcus brings down 50 ft tall Berserker with his bare hands kinda fantasy?

Does it have more blood than Bloody Zombies? :|

Could you clarify your story comment (without spoilers if you can)? Do you mean, Marcus goes to space kind of fantasy or marcus brings down 50 ft tall Berserker with his bare hands kinda fantasy?

My comment about most bloody game still stands despite Bloody Zombies( it only counts if it looks like blood! ;)), but only in one section of the game.

Its hard to say without spoiler really. Think more allong the lines of going to a place that is so unrealistic and stupid that it shatters any sort of belief in the semi realistic world they have built up in the begining and previous game. Marcus going to space would be ultra realistic compared to what cliffy_B thought would fit well! Having said that the section is actually really cool as a standalone it is just laughable how they got the environment into the game. I may be overeacting a little but to me i couldnt help think to myself i cant believe they did that!

For those that want to know what im on about:
Your crews helecopter gets swallowed by a giant worm. You all survive and you end up going through a set of 'puzzels' that the worm conveniently has set up inside itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its hard to say without spoiler really. Think more allong the lines of going to a place that is so unrealistic and stupid that it shatters any sort of belief in the semi realistic world they have built up in the begining and previous game. Marcus going to space would be ultra realistic compared to what cliffy_B thought would fit well! Having said that the section is actually really cool as a standalone it is just laughable how they got the environment into the game. I may be overeacting a little but to me i couldnt help think to myself i cant believe they did that!

I am paying for this game tonight based on these comments alone. I LOVE B movies, so any kind of ridiculousness that can be had in Gears 2 will sell me in the game, lol.

For those that want to know what im on about:
Your crews helecopter gets swallowed by a giant worm. You all survive and you end up going through a set of 'puzzels' that the worm conveniently has set up inside itself.

That's pretty ridiculous... but pretty cool, in a completely stupid way. It does make me laugh at CliffyB waxing philosophical about game design, though.

I am paying for this game tonight based on these comments alone. I LOVE B movies, so any kind of ridiculousness that can be had in Gears 2 will sell me in the game, lol.

You will love that section once you get past how laughable it is! So far i rate it as a very good but not great game, it feals kind of dated for some reason. It prety much more of the same with regards to the original, i wasnt expecting anything more mthan that though and anyone who is will be dissapointed.

The story so far is my main gripe its pretty crusty

Back