Gay High

natoma, you get 2 applicants for the last open slot:

-Gay student, who has been beaten/abused because he is extremely fat and ugly.
-Straight student that acts gay (femininely) and gets beaten/abused because of it.

Other than the above difference, nothing else is different. There is no other place for them to go. Either gay high or back to the same enviromnent.

So who should be admited?

later,

First off, there is no such thing as "acting gay." There are masculine male homosexuals and feminine male homosexuals, just as there are masculine male heterosexuals and feminine male heterosexuals. I happen to be a "masculine" homosexual. It worked against me for a while because many of the gay men when I was in college used to think I was straight and off limits. :LOL:

And when I come out to my friends and family, they all say the same thing. "You don't act gay. I don't believe you." My cousin didn't believe me so much that I had to get my co-workers to tell him. It's most certainly a stereotype that is enforced by the media for instance (you always see the flamboyant gay character on tv shows and in movies. god I hate that), but it is most certainly not the truth overall.

Second, I would assume that if the gay student is being beaten/abused only because he is fat and ugly, then that is different than being beaten/abused because someone "acts gay." In the first instance, they are being beaten/abused because of their physical appearance. In the second, they are being beaten/abused because of their perceived sexual orientation. There is a difference in the situations, and afaict, the second would receive admission. But I don't know this for a fact. You'd have to speak with someone at hetrick to find out for sure. You can email them and posit your question. Afaik, they are actually rather good about responding to questions regarding the school.

Natoma said:
First off, there is no such thing as "acting gay." There are masculine male homosexuals and feminine male homosexuals, just as there are masculine male heterosexuals and feminine male heterosexuals.

That wasn't his point.

The point is, you can be an effeminate male, not not be gay....and yet you'd receive much of the same kind of "bashing" that an openly gay person might get. They might even be called "gay", etc.

In other words, what if someone is bashed "because they are perceived to be gay", even though they aren't?

Natoma said:
Probably comes up in the mandatory interviews. I don't know the process' ins and outs, just what I've been told. You can email them and ask if you're curious though. :)

I may do that...

I don't know. I never thought about it frankly because this expansion and any potential aftereffects just came to my knowledge a couple of days ago.

As is the case with us all.

There are publicly funded centers for abused women that also provides shelter for those abused women if they wish to leave their abusive spouses. They are all over NYC. Is this necessarily discrimination against abused males?

Yes, it is.

I don't see it as such. I see it as an extension of a core service provided to a particular sect of people.

If they only accept battered women, then it is discriminitory. If they accpet "battered people", and 99.9% of those coming in happen to be women, no problem.

Yea I answered #1.

And to be clear, I disagree with it. Public funds should be used in non-discriminitory manner.

#2 however is another one that I never gave thought to. I'll get back to you on that one.

OK.

The only thing I can think of on that particular is the scenario I brought up earlier wrt centers for abused women that also provide shelter for those abused women, but no one else but the people they're servicing, i.e. abused women only.

That doesn't make it constitutional.

Understandable that you see it as such. Then again, the press also covered this in a manner that it appeared that it was NYC that was creating this all new school just for gay kids....

I didn't get that from the press. In fact, the article I started this thread with mentioned how old the program is, what the city is funding, and it's associate with HMI.

when that is a completely disingenuous interpretation of the reality of the situation.

Of course, HMI's own web site touts Harvey Milk HS as the first gay public school...

So I can understand as well why you would believe that the only criteria for this is gay kids and mentions nothing about abuse. I wouldn't be able to answer why the website makes no mention of it. I didn't design it, nor did I write the copy for it. I can only relay what I know from personal interactions with the center goers and the administrators and faculty.

In the end, it doesn't matter if HMI is only for "battered gays", and the Harvey Milk School is an option for those HMI members, or if the Harvey Milk School is open to gays in general.

It's not open to Heterosexuals, battered or not.

thanks for answering me natoma. Ill look into asking that question and will post any replies received.

Ill state my position once more. No public funds should go to an institution that discriminates on race, religion,sexual prefrence, gender, disabilities, id also like to see genetics included one day.

I also think that the military should allow gays to serve openly, however if there are different housing for men and women, they should also have different quaters(sp?) for straight and gay men (same for women).

later,
epic

I'm gay. ;)

gay ( P ) Pronunciation Key (g)
adj. gay·er, gay·est

1. Showing or characterized by cheerfulness and lighthearted excitement; merry.

GAY : Good As You (British)

GAY : Green And Yellow (Aussie colours :p)

:LOL:

i doubt that they have the resource right now to have many extra curricular activities. I saw some shots of the school on tv and it did not look very big. I assume that they have a very limited budget and that they have a higher counselor to student ratio. Since they target abused gay kids, they will have to spend many more dollars on getting them special help in that sense.

later,

Back