How can the Resident Evil 2 and 3 remakes be canon?

Roger Cobb

Regular
I go on a forum, full of elitist RE fanboys. And they claim that the RE2 and 3 remakes are still canonical. But I seriously doubt that's the case, unless they exist in their own timeline. Then you can pick either continuity. However, I seriously doubt the modern remakes are canon, as there's a lot of things that massively contradicts the original storylines.

The only remake that is actually canon, is the 2002 remake, which was designed as the official version because Shinji Mikami just couldn't create the original RE game to his complete satisfaction in the 90s, because of hardware limitations of the era.

For example, while there are two endings in the original RE3, one is kind of a "bad ending" where Jill and Carlos board a helicopter, just as Raccoon City is about to be blown up by the government. The thing is, that's not actually the truest ending overall. Depending on things you do in the game, Barry Burton is supposed to come at the end, and Jill says, "Is it you?" as they are in the air.

There's even official material like the RE: Archives books that list that Barry saved Jill, plus Carlos too, of course. So that 2020 remake was dumb, rushed out, and ultimately, absolutely pointless. The game itself was very rank, and people often say it could have been post launch DLC for the RE2 remake, as it was so bland and short.

Now a lot of people put the original RE2 on a pedestal, so they're going to overlook the faults the 2019 version has. But that game ruined the plot and cut out a lot of enemy types, and the game feels linear and severely lacks the unique mood the 1998 game did so well. And while you can use the original soundtrack, it just doesn't feel like it belongs there, and it also plays out of sync.

Leon doesn't tell Claire about Chris being in Europe either, as they scrapped his diary in the STARS office. So in all honesty, how can they do a Code: Veronica remake any day soon, even if they wanted to?

Technically, they remade CVX before, as one of those Chronicles Wii shooters imagined it differently, and they kind of muddled up the plot, as they did with a lot of segments in those Wii spin off titles. Some of it was actually really stupid. Like, I know that there's a musical box puzzle of some sort, that unlocks a door. Yet it was corny as heck, and it wasn't even in the original game. Plus, Alexia didn't kill Alfred because he was a useless sibling. Alfred may have been nuts, but the siblings really did care for each other, so this was a major betrayal to the game's story indeed. Plus, Chris never even met Steve Burnside, as he had already died in that dungeon looking room. So some stuff was a shambles.

Please watch this video, as it explains just WHY the RE2 remake was a huge disappointment...

Another thing that bothers me is this RE Engine. Every dark room looks horrible. I even think the GameCube and Dreamcast had better graphics, and atmosphere, as the franchise was genuinely creepy back in those days with scarier zombies and monsters, and the games had excellent music, that really set the tone. Now you don't get any music at all, or if you do, it's that cheesy sort of battle music, because 90% of the games now are action based. The 2002 remake had eerie sounding violin music, authentic lightning effects, flickering candles, zombie groans, water trickling down walls, and everything else. You know?

The plot is garbage now as well. Like after CVX, I think they began to gradually back themselves into a corner, so now characters are just turning up in these loosely connected games and movies. Other than Jill, of course. She hasn't been in any non prequel games or non remake games since 2009. :yep2:

Chris looks like a fake soldier in RE7. But following complaints that he did not look right, they kind of made him look way better in RE8. Sort of like an older version of his RE5 counterpart. But surely they could have hired an actor who looked like Chris to begin with, so fans would not whine that he was looking so different. Do you see what I mean? Laziness and money. That's what Capcom is about today.

Also, RE7 only has a possessed family, alligators, and fungal creatures as the base enemies. Although the alligators only show up in End of Zoe, which is one of the many DLC packs they released, where you play a hick who does boxing and Batista Bombs on the Molded. "It's farewell from the family, brother!" Uh... okay, mate! :D

Even the Molded were designed in a simplistic manner, so Capcom could churn out RE7 while the Silent Hills hype was still going strong. Eh? You think Saunders did not figure that out, huh? :)

RE [1] from the year 1996 has zombies, dogs, spiders, sharks, bees, Hunters, a large snake, little snakes, a plant, a Tyrant, and insect looking things. But yet, RE7, which came out in early 2017, only has mould monsters and a family that looks as if they wouldn't go amiss in The Hills Have Eyes movies. :oops:

I just don't know what it is with gamers these days. Always acting like that RE2 remake is the best thing since bread became sliced. When it's really a blemish on the original. And clearly, nobody learned from the RE3 remake, it appears.

The RE4 remake will probably suck as well, because they are bound to cut out chunks of that original game's life essence too, and use the ground up beef to form one salty, bitter, mince pie. But I'm sure people will only understand that it's an inferior version when it's too late. But I really do think that it's pointless to remake RE4 anyway, giving the amount of times they've been porting that sucker over the last few decades. It's on 9317 consoles already, to the point where's even available as a mobile game.

Although I can understand wanting to remake the fixed camera angles entries, RE4 was the game that moved the genre towards being over the shoulder, third person, James Bond type outings. So I really think it's just another cash grab product from Crapcom.

But why are they interested in doing it, in all honesty? Simple. Controversy creates cash. And Crapcom's staff will be laughing all the way to the bank! ;)

This guy doesn't like RE6. But at least RE6 was still like RE, as it had a lot of the big characters, as well as zombies.

And while Resident Evil: Revelations 2 is a shameless rip off of The Last of Us, hush now. I love it! :D

I loved the RE2 remake, it had it's flaws but for me it was perfect in translating a game from the 90's in to a game that works for today's gamer's.

It was also one of the most atmospheric and scary games I've played for a very, very long time.

It also looks awesome on a CRT at 576i :oops:

Didn't bother with RE3 remake once I learned they cut out a lot of stuff.

Didn't bother with RE3 remake once I learned they cut out a lot of stuff.

Well, the RE2 remake has cut content too. I've noticed that not a lot of fans realize that Capcom changed 2 just as much as they did with 3.

Just one more reason why I don't care much for a RE4 remake, considering that they are doing things in the wrong order if they do that how I suspect they are. I'm also predicting that, giving how long the original RE4 is, they'll want to drastically alter bosses and a lot of other stuff, so fans of the game will walk away feeling cheated. Not that I'm the biggest fan of 4 anyway. But I know the audience for that particular sequel, is huge.

Code: Veronica is the real sequel to RE2, after all. They basically only made RE3 to like, "bridge the gap". But really. CVX comes before RE4.

I don't know why they insist on going back to action, after the reception RE7 received. They blatantly lied when they said people felt as if 7 was too scary. If anything, Village should have been scarier, because people actually wanted real survival horror to return, after they felt 4, 5 and 6 had too much action, while the Revelations games were seen as being more on the horror side.

About the only creepy parts in Village are the house with the dolls, and the factory with those cyborg things. But it is otherwise rather offbeat, and not really like any RE game before. Apart from RE4, which it is noticeably similar to in many ways. But I feel as if Capcom tries to rehash too many ideas, as a cash grab.

Back