Best Rhythm/Music game:

Elite Beat Agents (DS)

Nominees:
Elite Beat Agents (DS) - 8.9
Gitaroo-Man Lives! (PSP) - 7.7
Guitar Hero II (PS2) - 8.7
SingStar Rockes! (PS2) - 7.2

Best Role-playing game:

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (PC, X360)

Nominees:
Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories (PS2) - 8.2
Final Fantasy V Advance (GBA) - 8.5
Final Fantasy XII (PS2) - 9.0
Neverwinter Nights 2 (PC) - 8.6
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (PC, X360) - 9.3, 9.6

Best Traditional Sports game:

Madden NFL 07 (Wii)

Nominees:
FIFA 07 (Xbox) - 8.7
Fight Night Round 3 (X360, PS3) - 8.3, 8.2
Madden NFL 07 (Wii) - 8.4
MLB '06: The Show (PS2) - 9.0
NCAA Football 07 (Xbox, PS2) - 8.8

Best Strategy game:

Company of Heroes (PC)

Nominees:
Company of Heroes (PC) - 9.0
Galactic Civilizations II: Dread Lords (PC) - 9.0
Medieval 2: Total War (PC) - 8.8
Star Wars: Empire at War (PC) - 8.7
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - Dark Crusade (PC) - 8.8
goes to show that Dead Rising may be better then many gave it credit for... it supposedly rocks (based on a lot of user feedback and I have a copy here now to try for myself)!

and where is NBA 2k7 for sports game? :cry:

http://www.gamespot.com/special_features/bestof2006/genre/index.html

thanks for the hard work borrowed from starship at NeoGaf
goes to show that Dead Rising may be better then many gave it credit for... it supposedly rocks (based on a lot of user feedback and I have a copy here now to try for myself)!

and where is NBA 2k7 for sports game? :cry:

Dead Rising is a good game...but thats it.

Just a good game...nothing ground breaking.

Okami or Saints Row would have been the better choice (IMO).

Yeah that MK3 award really threw me back. This is what they had to say:

After the subpar release of Street Fighter 2, we were worried about the future of arcade fighters on Xbox Live Arcade. Then Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 came along and did everything right, with essentially perfect emulation, entertaining achievements, and an underlying fighting game that may look a little long in the tooth but has proven its longevity with matches raging endlessly on Xbox Live. In fact, given Street Fighter 2's latency problems online, we were pleased to see just how well UMK3 works over the Internet. The game's AI may quickly wear a little thin, but when you've got an endless supply of willing, skilled challengers to play against, who cares?

So I'm guessing the online play is extremely fun? I might have to check it out...

Also Dead Rising is one of the funnest games I've played all year and probably the best action game I've ever played. Everytime you replay it there's always something new to do. I'm glad it's recieved all the praise it has.

Yeah probably the online game may be fun, but....everything else pales to comparison as a game in general. It could be the best fighting for XBOX arcade.

Other 2D fighting games of its age literally slaughtered MK3 in terms of gameplay, imagine newer fighting games. If it wasnt for MK3's violence and use of real human sprites I doubt people would have cared about it. The fighting system is monotonous, with characters sharing more moves than necessary and probably MK was the first fighting game that overdid it with cloned characters.

This should have been in the XBA/downloaded games section, not in the best fighting game section.
SFA3 kills it in every way except probably in online play

Most of these choices seem pretty silly. Very 360-leaning, IMO, though I can't tell why. Okami and Zelda beaten by DR? Come off it.

I could understand why Dead Rising is ahead of Zelda. DR is a rather original sandbox-type Dawn of the Dead meets Braindead zombie splatter fest. Its fresh, new and not part X of a long running franchise. The same can be said for Okami though, which is arguably even more original and regarded by many as a better game. At that point it comes down to taste and what kind of game the judges prefer...

I could understand why Dead Rising is ahead of Zelda. DR is a rather original sandbox-type Dawn of the Dead meets Braindead zombie splatter fest. Its fresh, new and not part X of a long running franchise. The same can be said for Okami though, which is arguably even more original and regarded by many as a better game. At that point it comes down to taste and what kind of game the judges prefer...

Isn't Okami basically Zelda with a wolf and a cool renderer?
I played maybe 4-5 hours of it, and while the visuals were striking, the gameplay was on the verge of boring - silly minigames, repetitive battles and a gesture system very unappropriate for the thumbsticks. To me Okami is proof that despites all the whining how we are tired of graphics and need new and fresh gameplay ideas, exactly the opposite is true: the market and the critics are willing to embrace a game with good graphics and "just OK" everything else.

Isn't Okami basically Zelda with a wolf and a cool renderer?
I played maybe 4-5 hours of it, and while the visuals were striking, the gameplay was on the verge of boring - silly minigames, repetitive battles and a gesture system very unappropriate for the thumbsticks. To me Okami is proof that despites all the whining how we are tired of graphics and need new and fresh gameplay ideas, exactly the opposite is true: the market and the critics are willing to embrace a game with good graphics and "just OK" everything else.
Can you think of ANY action/adventure or RPG game that isn't fairly monotonous in those first hours? (Most of that time being story and world exposition, of course. ;) )

The "silly minigames" portion is the only part of Okami that carries forward throughout, but the battles are only as "repetitive" as you want to make them (since you can avoid/leave the majority of them anyway), actually get more diverse and tactical than most games (you don't see much diversity that short into the game since you haven't gotten that many brush powers and probably only, like, one extra weapon).

Also, I'm also not sure how the gesture system is "inappropriate" since everything any game has done since the N64 has basically been put on those sticks, and the only new bundled control method has come out this gen--after Okami's release. And I'm not sure how uncoordinated a gamer's thumb would have to be to have trouble with "line," "circle," and "swirl..." But since you're paused anyway, it's not a big deal how quickly, slowly or inaccurately (unpause, then pause again) you pull it off, and when you use it enough it becomes second nature.

The complaints I assume most have about DR in relation to Okami and TP is simply that while it does the "action" part very well, freshly, and extremely fun, the "adventure" part is pretty "meh"--not to mention short. Okami and TP, meanwhile, do the action part extremely well (if not as "new"), while their adventure is compelling, intricate, long, and varied.

To me, Okami is proof that people recognize an excellent overall game and don't let their expectations get ahead of their enjoyment. (And also show an appreciation for art in games, because it is even more unexpected and eye-popping from an artistic perspective than DR was "new" in gameplay.)

Meanwhile, I also share misgivings about UMK3, as "well-handled online implementation" does not make MK3 a good fighting game. :???:

Oblivion might be more proof that people are still fixated on visuals, though, because as eye-popping as those are, Bethesda still has trouble getting their "levelling mechanics" to make sense and not require metagaming, and it's not much of an evolution over Morrowind in other than graphics and world scale. FFXII, at least, ends up being much more of a change for for the FF series. (Along with its' own excellent graphics--certainly amazing art direction--and a better storyline, new takes on party control and experience gaining...)

I'd also put Mercury over Exit in the puzzler arena, because while Exit is a nice revisitation to old puzzle games and mechanics (and is stylistically nifty), Mercury does not have as exacting and punishing a control scheme and allows for attrition and recovery (rather than "misthink/mishit-button once, redo board"), and lets you aim for more in the way of better scoring than "do it exactly again, but faster."

Also, I'm also not sure how the gesture system is "inappropriate" since everything any game has done since the N64 has basically been put on those sticks...

This does not make putting this particular another thing on them a good idea.

And I'm not sure how uncoordinated a gamer's thumb would have to be to have trouble with "line," "circle," and "swirl..." But since you're paused anyway, it's not a big deal how quickly, slowly or inaccurately (unpause, then pause again) you pull it off, and when you use it enough it becomes second nature.

That's exactly my point - with the thumbsticks, it would have been either too hard - if they required speed and precision in the execution of the gestures - or too easy, by pausing the game and accepting almost everything. It's trivial; it's a microgame within the game, except that it's not a game at all by being too easy. Imagine one of those Fahrenheit/FFX-style "press the buttons we show you in such and such order" game without a time limit - I think the Okami gestures are exactly as fun.

This is weird... The last couple 'top' lists that have come from notable sites have been hilariously off.

Oblivion might be more proof that people are still fixated on visuals, though, because as eye-popping as those are, Bethesda still has trouble getting their "levelling mechanics" to make sense and not require metagaming, and it's not much of an evolution over Morrowind in other than graphics and world scale. FFXII, at least, ends up being much more of a change for for the FF series. (Along with its' own excellent graphics--certainly amazing art direction--and a better storyline, new takes on party control and experience gaining...)

IMO the changes to FF12 don't really make it better, and it can't even touch the feeling that oblivion created of a true breathing world that you just got completely lost in.

Sure it had some big issues that broke the game (leveling wasn't one of them) mainly repitition and 100% scaled enemies and loot, butthat doesn't even biegin to bother you until you're well into the game, 30-40hours. RPG of the year hands down in a cake walk.

FF12 is ok, but it doesn't really do anything new, the pseudo-turnbased combat was done far better 3 years ago with KOTOR.

Scooby, I'd argue that Oblivion is far too flawed in basic game design to merit top spot. The guards and the entire level up system are flawed to the point of near game breaking (which no reviewers seemed to care about, as they were too enamored with it initially -- I was too, until I got ~30 hours in and the game started to be frustrating and stupid because of decidedly poor design decisions). The enemies leveling up with you and repetitive nature of a free roaming world is just icing on the already toppling cake of "poor design decisions". I really enjoyed Oblivion, for a while (and, honestly, I'm kind of tempted to pick it up again for PS3 when it comes out... because I've got an urge to play it and I sold my 360 copy). I'm not saying Oblivion is a bad game, just overrated and one with major flaws that seem to be glossed over in every review I read. I'm hoping ES5 isn't such a blunder in that respect -- I've no doubt it'll be another pretty game, but hopefully they can find a happy medium between the, seemingly, polar opposite design decisions of Oblivion and Morrowind. I'm looking forward to ES5, even though it may not sound like it.

On the other hand, FFXII has excellent mechanics (far more polished in that respect, no glaring flaws -- gambit system and the badge board thingy work very well) and a story that is far more compelling than Oblivion's. I'd say, outside of graphics (and even that is arguable, the art design/direction is far better in FF12, IMO), FF12 is better than Oblivion in every way.

For me it's a metter of the positives far outweighing the negatives, and as good as FF12 seems to be so far, it just doesn't do alot to improve on it's 15 year old formula.

The gambit systems, and RT combat are neat but they're not any big steps forward imo.

I put 110h into Oblivion and About 70 to FF12 and at the end of the day I think Oblivion was the better game... by a slight margin... FF12 had the game mechanics pretty much spot on, but the story and the characters were quite shallow, I liked some of the changes, but eventually it fell short compared to previous FF-games (naturally excluding FFX-2, which was horse shit)

For me it's a metter of the positives far outweighing the negatives, and as good as FF12 seems to be so far, it just doesn't do alot to improve on it's 15 year old formula.
The gambit systems, and RT combat are neat but they're not any big steps forward imo.
How was Oblivion any more progressive than FFXII then? From what I saw and read, it's Morrowind with souped up graphics. The living world appears to be fundamentally broken to the point it's surreal/eerie how NPCs behave. I'd say FFXII was far more entrepreneurial, as it took a turn based series and made it realtime. It's very different from prior iterations of the franchise. Oblivion seems to be a standard progression of the series, and without really making major headway either. The gameplay is fundamentally broken it seems, and the living world aspect doesn't appear to amount to a great deal either.

I don't know what criteria was used to choose best RPG, but I would have thought it be 'best overall game experience' and the fact that Oblivion offers no challenge has to place it low in that respect.

Back