Gameplay screenshots of GT:HD

that's the thing though; if you had the whole screen covered in intense rain, wind blazing over the screen - how much of those polygons edges or textures will you even be able to see? ;)

Not much different than what MGS4 is doing actually; Most textures shows at TGS last year weren't all that great compared to the characters and the wind-effectse etc.

This demo was very confusing, why would Sony even bother? It looks like what it is, a hi-res PS2 game, that doesn't do anything for the image of the PS3.

An interesting note was that the GT team have barely even started on GT, so I guess we're looking at a late 2007 release for that at the earliest?

MGS character models are through the roof compared to MGS4, the backgrounds less so.

What have Polyphony been up to since TGS?

They had an RX-7 and Lancer in so called GT5 spec displayed in the Tokyo International Forum at TGS and at E3 all they show is this?

avaya said:

They had an RX-7 and Lancer in so called GT5 spec displayed in the Tokyo International Forum at TGS and at E3 all they show is this?

He stated they just recently finished Tourist Trophy.

avaya said:

Sony want them to release a GT as soon as possible after the PS3 launch, so Yamauchi and co. took the easy, and ugly, way and decided to just release a 1080p version of GT4 that includes online modes.

If they didn't planned to release this "GT:HD", they wouldn't have bothered showing it, seeing how it looks terrible.

Given the release of GT4 Prologue, selling a beta version of a game, I can believe it! Of course, how many people are going to have 1080p sets to appreciate? It may, perhaps, have just been a tech demo to show how much better 1080p makes things look and drive the point home that True HD is 'real' HD. But creating a game for that not to release seems a waste of time.

Vysez said:
Sony want them to release a GT as soon as possible after the PS3 launch, so Yamauchi and co. took the easy, and ugly, way and decided to just release a 1080p version of GT4 that includes online modes.

If they didn't planned to release this "GT:HD", they wouldn't have bothered showing it, seeing how it looks terrible.

They said specifically that the demo was made for E3 only. Where did you hear this was actually a game? It's just an experiment on the road to the next GT. They did the same thing with prior to GT3, with GT2 assets running on PS2.

Umm so they actually had to cut stuff from the game just to make it run in 1080p! doesn't sound very good, what other reason could they possible have to cut remove the smoke effects?

a more intelligent question ... maybe

In terms of gameplay I wasn't impressed or interested by the GT4 demo (and I'm a huge fan of the GT series).

However, I would like to know a little more on what people think about 1920x1080p at 60fps in terms of technical achievement.

Does this mean anything in terms of previous suppositions regarding the success or failure of the way the PS3's bandwidth pipelines are set up, for instance?

Arwin said:
In terms of gameplay I wasn't impressed or interested by the GT4 demo (and I'm a huge fan of the GT series).

However, I would like to know a little more on what people think about 1920x1080p at 60fps in terms of technical achievement.

Does this mean anything in terms of previous suppositions regarding the success or failure of the way the PS3's bandwidth pipelines are set up, for instance?
Umm, a Geforce3 can get 100 fps at 1600x1200 (similar pixel count as 1080p) in Quake3 and a bunch of other games. A 6600GT gets 60fps in Doom3 at 1600x1200.

Getting 60fps at 1080p is not much of an achievement at all. Doing it with cutting edge graphics, however, is where you need lots of horsepower and bandwidth. 720p @30fps lets your per frame pixel load be 4 times as high as 1080p @ 60fps.

These GT:HD screenshots are pretty weak, and I'd bet money that a competent coder could get a Geforce4 to yeild 60fps @1080p for these graphics. The lack of simple dust and smoke effects may be very telling about what can be done at this resolution while maintaining a high framerate. That said, this demo takes no advantage at all of RSX's number crunching ability, as you don't even have per-pixel lighting going on.

Mintmaster said:
A 6600GT gets 60fps in Doom3 at 1600x1200.
http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/nv6600gtagp/10.html

doom3stock.png

Answering the first question about 1080p for non Hdmi users is : Yes, with a D-sub (if Sony or others release it). The only difference is you get analog with multi-out and numeriq with HDMI.

GT4 already had a quasi-1080i mode, right?

The PS3 has backwards compatability, right?

Why not just stick the GT4 you own in your PS3?

There seems to be some different stances on whether this is, or is not, coming to the PS3. I believe GT4-online is coming this fall, so maybe it will be like the new Zelda which works on both platforms? I dunno, but I would rather see a new GT5 with cars that take damage, more cars on the track and more variable settings for AI, online built in from the ground up, etc... maybe they have a lot of staff available, but since there already is a great GT4 game out why not just push forward on GT5?

PD is a great developer, I want to see what they can do with next gen stuff :D And I am with Faf... why this got such a long E3 segment I do not know.

If you watch the whole presentation from the conference, PD was almost apologetic about showing this off. They noted it as one milestone on the way toward a PS3 GT, and that the final game won't look anything like this.

Acert93 said:
GT4 already had a quasi-1080i mode, right?

The PS3 has backwards compatability, right?

Why not just stick the GT4 you own in your PS3?

There seems to be some different stances on whether this is, or is not, coming to the PS3. I believe GT4-online is coming this fall, so maybe it will be like the new Zelda which works on both platforms? I dunno, but I would rather see a new GT5 with cars that take damage, more cars on the track and more variable settings for AI, online built in from the ground up, etc... maybe they have a lot of staff available, but since there already is a great GT4 game out why not just push forward on GT5?

PD is a great developer, I want to see what they can do with next gen stuff :D And I am with Faf... why this got such a long E3 segment I do not know.
Thats what I thought too. I see no reason why they will rerelease an online GT4 in HD specifically for the PS3.

rabidrabbit said:
The fact that for general public it probably washes fully as the next gen GT game, speaks volumes of the quality of original GT4 art and tech ;)
If you aren't being sarcastic I think it speaks more for how blind and brainwashed people are if they believe that. GT4's art and tech passing as nextgen? Uh, no. Not even close :smile:

Titanio said:
If you watch the whole presentation from the conference, PD was almost apologetic about showing this off. They noted it as one milestone on the way toward a PS3 GT, and that the final game won't look anything like this.
Though people gripe at the poor image quality of GT:HD, I think it was a better choice than showing a half-optimized version that carries PS3 assets since it makes clear that it's merely a demo. Unless watchers are too dumb they immediately know GT:HD can in no way be associated with what the final product looks.

one said:
Though people gripe at the poor image quality of GT:HD, I think it was a better choice than showing a half-optimized version that carries PS3 assets since it makes clear that it's merely a demo. Unless watchers are too dumb they immediately know GT:HD can in no way be associated with what the final product looks.

NO! I would have rather seen something like they did at TGS, just with more PS3 assets. GT4 HD was a huge failure. The only thing I liked about it was that it seemed to me that GT5 will be a combonation of Tourist Trophy and GT4 just with PS3 GT5 assets of course.

Back