Gameplay screenshots of GT:HD

Yeah, it's just Gran Turismo 4 in 1080p...

It's just a filler for Polyphony to buy them some time for GT5.

Personally I hate the GT games, or any simulation for that matter, but I was really looking forward to what the Polyphony guys could do for GT5. Maybe at next year TGS?

Those menus are really really sexy, 1080p does seem a bit overkill though for a game that maybe wasnt meant for it, but it did demonstrate the advantages of high high def and the amount of resolution if nothing else.

Puke. In this case 1080p just means you get an fugly PS2 game in 1080p... and they even took away all the smoke and dust effects (fillrate?)... just take a look at the rally screens.

Disappointment, total.

yeah, they had one year, to develop something to show, and we get that...even in 1080p it's totaly unimpressive, i even saw popup on the tokyo track ! and look at the ign's first pick, the crowd is in 2d, big ugly bitmap.

Laa-Yosh said:
PGR3 says hello, from 6 months ago...

You think this looks comparable to PGR3?

They shouldn't have wasted so much time with this at the conference. After showing some GT5 assets last TGS, I'm surprised they went back and just showed GT4 1080p. Hopefully we'll see GT5 at TGS, and it really isn't that far off from launch as suggested at the conference.

This wasn't really a demonstration of a next gen GT, but as was confirmed by I think Kazunori Yamauchi, was using GT4 assets but running at 1080p (and 60fps).
It was meant to show the general "vision" what next gen GT would be featurewise, but not including the vision of graphical fidelity.

It's pointless to compare the graphics to PGR3 or to anything (also, it's very much against the new forum rules), as it's been explictly stated it's not using graphics being created for the next gen Gran Turismo game, nor a near complete engine.

This GT demonstration is there just for PR, to remind people there indeed is a GT game coming for PS3.
The fact that for general public it probably washes fully as the next gen GT game, speaks volumes of the quality of original GT4 art and tech ;)

Titanio said:
After showing some GT5 assets last TGS, I'm surprised they went back and just showed GT4 1080p. Hopefully we'll see GT5 at TGS, and it really isn't that far off from launch as suggested at the conference.
Did they? Only thing that reminded me of true next gen GT was the begininng of that trailer, with a highly detailed, awesomely lit car rendered on the showroom before it transitioned to a realtime demonstration of slightly soupled up GT4 running in HD.

rabidrabbit said:
Did they? Only thing that reminded me of true next gen GT was the begininng of that trailer, with a highly detailed, awesomely lit car rendered on the showroom before it transitioned to a realtime demonstration of slightly soupled up GT4 running in HD.

They said something about GT3 coming one and a half years after PS2's launch, but with PS3, they hope/plan to have a new GT ready not far after launch.

aaaaa00 said:
Puke. In this case 1080p just means you get an fugly PS2 game in 1080p... and they even took away all the smoke and dust effects (fillrate?)... just take a look at the rally screens.
:oops: Good eyes!

I suppose it's possible that they'll tweak it to include smoke/dust/rain effects in the final version. GT4 isn't exactly hard on the graphics cards, AFAICS. Looks like it's single textured with an environment map on the cars, along with per vertex lighting. I think the rain scenes are only a bit more challenging. Still, I can see how how seven times the resolution would be a problem, especially for heavy blending effects.

I would have preferred it if they just stuck with 720p w/ AA, but included the GT3/4 FMV effects like motion blur and GT3/4 replay effects like heat haze during gameplay. Then add some realtime DOF for the replay mode.

Well, at least Sony wasn't lying about 1080p. ;)

Mintmaster said:
I suppose it's possible that they'll tweak it to include smoke/dust/rain effects in the final version.

This isn't a game, it's only a demo for E3. GT4 assets at 1080p.

Titanio said:
This isn't a game, it's only a demo for E3. GT4 assets at 1080p.
Oh, my bad. I thought it was going to be a toy for people who want a true 1080p something. I'm sure they could sell it if they wanted to, even if only for $30 or something.

Titanio said:
They said something about GT3 coming one and a half years after PS2's launch, but with PS3, they hope/plan to have a new GT ready not far after launch.
Yes, hopefully it will be more than just slightly souped up high definition GT4 with online component.
Though I'm sure that would be commercially very tempting thing to do for Sony.
I'm sure it would sell enough even as that, especially as the money and resources wasted to develop it would be rather low.
It might hurt the image of the series somewhat, but if made clear it's basically GT4 for PS3 they might get away from it unhurt.

IMHO this is nothing but a testament to how good GT4 looks on PS2. IMO, they should try to keep this stuff and use the rest of the performance left to do some incredible wind effects, lighting, weather effects etc... :oops:

Phil said:
IMHO this is nothing but a testament to how good GT4 looks on PS2. IMO, they should try to keep this stuff and use the rest of the performance left to do some incredible wind effects, lighting, weather effects etc... :oops:

To be honest i'd be a bit happier if my GT game on PS3 didn't have polygonal edges due to low poly counts, which would be the case if they use "GT4 assets" from PS2. And let's not even start with the textures...
Sure the lighting will be almost real, the resolution will make everything look real, but i'm unsure how good it will actually look in the end, if they really keep the PS2 assets.

Back