Gamecube hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.
ON TOPIC.. I've heard from a few people that GC has weak/non existent vertex proccessing capabilities, making vertex effects very costly for the system.. I thought that was a little strange, considering the generally excellent design of the Cube.

friedsnake said:
notAFanB said:
friedsnake said:
gc has the most tapped hw(best looking games), its games push 10 million polys, ps2 and xb games push near to 5 million polys(there are exceptions like jak)

are you trolling?

why? fatcs=trolling???

facts!=trolling neccessarily. however what you posted are not facts they are at best opinions (like most of the stuff on this board) posted in an inflammitory manner.

EDIT: actually this will be my last post on this matter for fear of it degenerating into a long thread of bickeering. PM if you want to dicuss this thanks.

Factor 5, creators of the multimillion selling "Star Wars®: Rogue Squadron?" game franchise and the MusyX? sound tools for multiple game platforms, previously partnered with DivXNetworks to create the popular DivX for Gamecube SDK. The new DivX for Xbox SDK includes a number of new features for the highest-quality in-game cinematics, including

--Hand-optimized Pentium assembly code for maximum performance

--DVD-quality at file sizes 7-10 times smaller than MPEG-2

--Full usage of PixelShader Technology to offload CPU performance onto the graphics chip

--Full beyond-HDTV resolution support of up to 1920x1080 progressive scan video

--Full-screen and surface-mapped rendering support for video on 3D scenery

A little off-topic, but I wonder if Shiny used Factor 5's Divx for Xbox or wrote their own (for EtM Matrix)? Because they had 1920x1080 Divx FMVs in the Xbox version of the game. Looked hideous though. The amount of compression was just ridiculous.

Bohdy said:
DeathKnight said:
DOT3? Heh, my original Radeon was able to do that.

I can only imagine the blazing fast framerates that rendered at. Heck, Tenebrae runs a spritely 6-12 fps on my GF2! :LOL:
Ran at 46.5 fps in 3DMark 2001... check it out here.

The point I was getting at is that it is a hardwired effect in most graphics chips and has been around for quite a while. Obviously newer and faster hardware can render more of it at faster speeds. Hell, look at the first Halo. The game is riddled with DOT3 bumpmapping on nearly every surface. Obviously they put the speed of the vertex shaders to use for that.
Proteus said:
ON TOPIC.. I've heard from a few people that GC has weak/non existent vertex proccessing capabilities, making vertex effects very costly for the system.. I thought that was a little strange, considering the generally excellent design of the Cube.
AFAIK the vertex processing is not really programmable and more static. Obviously any effects that stray from this will have to fall back on the Gekko for processing. Throw a bunch of these effects around and it's going to choke.

Ozymandis said:
A little off-topic, but I wonder if Shiny used Factor 5's Divx for Xbox or wrote their own (for EtM Matrix)? Because they had 1920x1080 Divx FMVs in the Xbox version of the game. Looked hideous though. The amount of compression was just ridiculous.
The game wasn't true 1080i. The game was rendered in 480p widescreen then upconverted to 1080i for output if 1080i was enabled. This is the reason the game itself looked hideous in 1080i.

AFAIK the vertex processing is not really programmable and more static. Obviously any effects that stray from this will have to fall back on the Gekko for processing. Throw a bunch of these effects around and it's going to choke.

Aye, a developer said a while back that games like RL will always be showcase titles for the GC, as its static/hardwired T&L can munch through the polygons with ease, as there's no vertex shader ops going on like skinning, etc.

friedsnake: Well Star Wars RL does push 15 million polys i even read an interview where factor 5 claimed that them selves, but ps2 and xbox also have quite many games that push that and more. The ps2 has jak and daxter, R&C, GT3, BGDA, FF10, primal, sh3, and im sure there are more i just cant remember right now. The Xbox has doa3 , halo, i know theres more but cant remmebr again. Gc has few games that push over 10 million polys , The only ones i can think of are Star fox , Metroid prime , and star wars RL.And to be honest the only games on gc that technically impress me are star fox and Star wars.

DeathKnight said:
Ozymandis said:
The game wasn't true 1080i. The game was rendered in 480p widescreen then upconverted to 1080i for output if 1080i was enabled. This is the reason the game itself looked hideous in 1080i.

I'm talking about only the videos, which from what I heard were derived from 1080p source material. About the gameplay, I never knew for sure that it was just scaled up 480p, but I kind of figured. Gameplay and graphics were both so weak with that game :(

7upac said:
friedsnake: Well Star Wars RL does push 15 million polys i even read an interview where factor 5 claimed that them selves, but ps2 and xbox also have quite many games that push that and more. The ps2 has jak and daxter, R&C, GT3, BGDA, FF10, primal, sh3, and im sure there are more i just cant remember right now. The Xbox has doa3 , halo, i know theres more but cant remmebr again. Gc has few games that push over 10 million polys , The only ones i can think of are Star fox , Metroid prime , and star wars RL.And to be honest the only games on gc that technically impress me are star fox and Star wars.

i doubt that gt3,bgda,and ffx push more than 5 million polys....jak,rac,primal are fine examples - they push way more, btw doa3 pushes about 5 million polys.

Stop making stuff up friedsnake :rolleyes:

Want to know something? Azurik pushes 15 million polygons a second at 30fps with up to 500,000 polygons on screen at a time with FSAA and that was an Xbox launch title. There are many games that push more polygons and look better to boot. ERP's Xbox racing game that got canned pushed upwards of 30 million polygons per second. That's the highest number I've heard of thus far that's actually been divulged.

DeathKnight said:
Stop making stuff up friedsnake :rolleyes:

Want to know something? Azurik pushes 15 million polygons a second at 30fps with up to 500,000 polygons on screen at a time with FSAA and that was an Xbox launch title. There are many games that push more polygons and look better to boot. ERP's Xbox racing game that got canned pushed upwards of 30 million polygons per second. That's the highest number I've heard of thus far that's actually been divulged.

haha, where do you have this from....thats funny indeed, no game pushes more than 15 million polys per screen at 60fps, xbox games bet rather on textures and bump-mapping, not polygons.

Death Knight, xbox can push max. of 12 million polys at 60fps, with textures and FSAA on...btw the NV2a doesn't have a 4000 M fill rate but a 1000 M fill rate(as MS claims).

friedsnake said:
Death Knight, xbox can push max. of 12 million polys at 60fps, with textures and FSAA on...btw the NV2a doesn't have a 4000 M fill rate but a 1000 M fill rate(as MS claims).

seriousely where are you getting this stuff from (I mean personnelly where did you garner this information).

the 4GPixel fill rate figue is correct (sorta). at least when it was measured from a 250Mhz XGPU.

Mind joining a little thing called reality? You really need to stop pulling crap from thin air. You obviously have no knowledge on the subject at hand. Even other people here are getting on your case... I wonder why.

friendsnake: Ah buddy are u high? Seriously now be honest. Do u know how many characters BGDA suports on screen at once and the size of the levels and how much polys all the characters have? The main character in BGDA and the ppl u interact with all have 4000 and higher polys and the bosses reach all the way up to 20 000 polys. So plz 5 million polys is a bunch of BS. AND do you even know how many polys each character in DOA3 has ? Doa3 pushes at least 10 million polys. Also Jak and Daxter and R&C push more then 15 million polys.

7upac said:
friendsnake: Ah buddy are u high? Seriously now be honest. Do u know how many characters BGDA suports on screen at once and the size of the levels and how much polys all the characters have? The main character in BGDA and the ppl u interact with all have 4000 and higher polys and the bosses reach all the way up to 20 000 polys. So plz 5 million polys is a bunch of BS. AND do you even know how many polys each character in DOA3 has ? Doa3 pushes at least 10 million polys. Also Jak and Daxter and R&C push more then 15 million polys.

yeah, but BGDA has a fixed camera aso, nevermind...new jak2 characters have around 12,000 - 15,000 polys...indeed...but doa3 just like tekken 4 doesnt push more than 5 million polys and thats a fact.

notAFanB said:
friedsnake said:

seriousely where are you getting this stuff from (I mean personnelly where did you garner this information).

the 4GPixel fill rate figue is correct (sorta). at least when it was measured from a 250Mhz XGPU.

Well, Microsoft was nice to include a "(anti-aliased)" next to it. What does "4.0 GPixels (anti-aliased)", mean? It's misleading. The Xbox has hardwired 4x FSAA, when this is turned on the actual total of 1.0 GPixels is re-rendered 4 times to remove aliasing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back