*Game Tech*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of his work is done with his display. I just 'top up' his observations with screenshots on games he might not have seen. It's worth remembering that for various reasons I only tend to get games post-release, sometimes weeks after they've come out.

Very, very, VERY occasionally this can also lead to a re-evaluation of a resolution but the only one I can recall was Skate's 1080p mode on PS3.

In short, take nothing away from the man, like Wolverine, he's the best there is at what he does - and the fact he can be so precise from looking at an HDTV is absolutely remarkable.

EDIT: I'm currently watching my synchronised 720p feeds of Pure render out (yes it's Eurogamer face-off feature time again). What I said earlier in the thread about the minor screen tear differences remains, but the effects are identical. It's a pretty astonishing technical achievement bearing in mind how much stuff this game is throwing about. I never had that much respect for Climax as a developer, but this game is just an absolute delight.

Last edited by a moderator:
EDIT: I'm currently watching my synchronised 720p feeds of Pure render out (yes it's Eurogamer face-off feature time again). What I said earlier in the thread about the minor screen tear differences remains, but the effects are identical. It's a pretty astonishing technical achievement bearing in mind how much stuff this game is throwing about. I never had that much respect for Climax as a developer, but this game is just an absolute delight.

Are you guys going to do Dead Space for this feature too? :)

I usually don't ask for comparisons, and just wait till they show up, but I haven't seen anything conclusive regarding Dead Space or Fallout 3 for example. When a game has MP I'll always go PS3 coz of my friends, but when it doesn't have MP or I don't care about it, like in those 2 games, I'd like to have the best possible experience... and Dead Space is out tomorrow over here. :s

PS: as a sidenote, this place - and the Internets - has been calmer since Quaz went LBP'ing... less wars... maybe it's not so bad. :LOL:

Most people are saying Dead Space looks and plays identical on both, but a lot of people are picking the PS3 version as they say it has better sound. I haven't been following Fallout, so I dunno about that one.

Most people are saying Dead Space looks and plays identical on both, but a lot of people are picking the PS3 version as they say it has better sound. I haven't been following Fallout, so I dunno about that one.

Well the PS3 version has slightly better lightning and textures...

Well, textures I can see being definitive if they're noticeably clearer or more detailed/higher res on one console over the other. But lighting? Lighting is highly subjective, and often up to the preference of the person providing the opinion. I have my own tastes for certain types of game lighting, and I know that not everyone agrees with me.

In terms of which version is better, talk of better lighting and textures etc... if it's that simple, which version is which here? ;)

Ok grandmaster I'll take your challenge. :)

Top one is PS3 due to better texture filtering and the fact that the game was lead on the PS3.

I've kind of given away the answer with this shot...

Top is Xbox 360. Does this mean that leading on PS3 might actually bring about a marginally better 360 game? :D Seriously though, the games seem identical to me although that said, the shimmering in the jaggies looks a tiny bit worse on PS3, but like Pure this is another great cross-platform release.

Synchronising video streams in this game is a nightmare :cry:

The only difference which "stands out" to me is the bump mapping.

In the first comparison, the PS3 shot seems to have more pronounced bump mapping in the immediate floor areas.

In the second comparison, the 360 shot has horrible bump mapping on the geometry - for example the large vertical edge which comes into view below the "Pick Up" label has a huge and inverted bump effect, compared to the PS3 version which is much more detailed.

It's quite noticable to me, especially in the second shot.

Catisfit: That looks like the normals are flipped. That wouldn't be too surprising considering how OpenGL/libgcm and the DX APIs handle them. The same issue was present in Virtua Fighter 5.

It does look like flipped normals on that surface, but on most other surfaces they seem to be correctly oriented, yet still much more heavy-handed with little precise detail:

As far as I can tell the 360 version has a normal map; the PS3 version has only a diffuse map with some of the lighting effect burned into it. It is more subtle so it doesn't look as wrong when the light comes from the other direction. (cf. how wrong the 360 show with the flipped normal map looks.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back