*Game Tech*

Status
Not open for further replies.
lighting looks similar to me.
PS3 shot looks way too bright (not what i see when i play on my calibrated Samsung 40") and the 360 shot looks too dark (a lot of black detail being clipped). just a case of poor calibration, whether it be on the TV or in-game settings. this is why i don't take this into account in these comparisons.

the one shot comparing the textures is the only useful shot imo. the difference in brightness is too much to do a fair comparison of sharpness/blurriness. that is some of the worst textures i've seen in a ps3 game though. thankfully, not all of them are that horrid in the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of the shots attempting to compare the ground texture, the PS3 version is firstly shot from further away, and secondly the camera is angled much higher (so the ground is at a flatter angle to the camera). I'd like to see shots from the exact same camera position and orientation in both versions before drawing any conclusions.

Also, I'd like to see shots of the entire screen at least, if you're taking them with a camera from your TV screen. You can see the edge of the TV in the first pic, over details which are present in the second pic.

Of the shots attempting to compare the ground texture, the PS3 version is firstly shot from further away, and secondly the camera is angled much higher (so the ground is at a flatter angle to the camera). I'd like to see shots from the exact same camera position and orientation in both versions before drawing any conclusions.

So this is a result of AF and LOD?

One could argue that things like the MIP level explain the differences, or that it's likely that the PS3 version has poorer textures because we've seen that in other titles. Only when we get identically placed shots on both platforms will the truth be known.

Here's an indication of the areas of the screen the pictures come from (the PS3 version is roughly shoulder to feet of the character on screen, the 360 version is from the corner of the screen):

I don't think anyone can argue that they are directly comparable.

So once again we're comparing screenshots and jumping to general conclusions. Yes it appears that the x360 uses a bump texture where the ps3 doesn't, but why? Is it because the ps3 version doesn't have one available (which is the usual popular conclusion)? Or is it a case of dissimilar captures where effects (LOD, Camera angle, etc) have not yet gone into effect in one version as opposed to the other? Or is simply a matter of QA (or lack of) where the ps3 version should be using its bump texture here but isn't? God forbid that a DEMO isn't QA'd to a frame by frame exact match of the versions as it fuels the speculation fires of the snapshot wars.

Anyhow, IDK what/why there are differences but if we all want to play the jump to conclusions game then I guess I'll play too. Look at floor on the 2 screen grabs:

x360:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3014/2787853168_68a01dce49_b.jpg

PS3:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3175/2786998551_fc4902b364_b.jpg

The ps3 version is showing reflections in the floor where the x360 version is a matte finish. I guess we can now jump to the conclusion that the ps3 version is better because it has reflective surfaces and the x360 doesn't, so there!! Nana nana na na..........

Guys I want to emphasize that this thread isn't for the purpose of comparing multiplatform titles to see which is better, it's for discussing actual multiplatform development. So... I'd say keep the back-and-forth to the Games forum inside the Star Wars thread, and use this thread for asking why something is the way it is, or adding insights where possible.

So....why is the 360 version better than the PS3's? :p

*runs away*

J/k

Can someone take direct feed pictures under the same conditions for the sake of the discussion? Just to confirm what differences are there?

These are photos from the PS3 version, showing that the texture detail is highly dependent on the angle with the camera.

From low to high detail just by moving the camera:

This should be enough to prove that highly selective shots aren't useful for comparison. If this discussion should be in the "upscaling/resolutions/AA etc" thread then maybe it should be moved?

it seems to be as good as the 360 one from the high angle, maybe they got some kind of AF optimization going on?

Wow, are you guys inable to read what the mod just said? Keep that discussion and screenshots in the SW:FU thread not here.
The mods were the ones who originally put those images here instead of the SW thread. They were in the Upscaling/Resolution thread.

He's right about those textures, though, I looked at them myself earlier today.. when viewed from the same angle, they're virtually identical, I couldn't tell any difference.

I thought of something a few minutes ago, that may be affecting some of the perceptions here in regards to "which version is better" (this is to do with everything, not just SW:FU).

My PS3 is running HDMI to the TV. My X360 is running VGA. Would the analog signal vs digital cause the apparent "softness" that I was seeing, when compared to a straight-digital signal? Maybe I should pull out an extra HDMI cable and hook up my X360 digital, do another side-by-side.

Does the 360 output a digital signal? I thought the analog signal was converted to digital in those boxes with HDMI sockets, not a "pure" digital signal.

Yes it does make a difference in "softness" when you output from Component or VGA. HDMI is known to produce sharper edges in games on the PS3, but there's always the question of whether it's the game or solely the signal making the difference.

At any rate, screens capped from a 360-HDMI should be valid for comparison with PS3-HDMI.

Edit: It appears as though Force Unleashed was not developed with PS3 as lead platform, i.e. the PS3 build = port. However, LucasArts have since then made PS3 the new lead platform for upcoming projects. http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6186606.html

This is highly related to multi platform development issues, proving once again that, one way or another, a 360-to-PS3 port is inferior in some ways even if optimized.

The mods were the ones who originally put those images here instead of the SW thread. They were in the Upscaling/Resolution thread.

They were moved here because the original poster gave no indication as to what it wanted to discuss. Such posts that directly compared multiplatform titles would hence be most applicable to this thread.

The purpose of the Resolutions/Scaling thread is not to compare platforms; it is for discussing what the developers have/might have chosen for the game on a particular platform. This multiplatform issues thread is to discuss why for multiplatform games there are noticeable differences, be it graphical or other.

This is highly related to multi platform development issues, proving once again that, one way or another, a 360-to-PS3 port is inferior in some ways even if optimized.

I thought the shots posted above showed that the "difference" in texture resolution was most likely down to the camera angle - pending like-for-like shots? Or do you mean inferior in another way?

Now its the PS3 version that looks blurrier. The PS3 version seems to have a bit lower textures. Reflections are also different.

Some deteils though are more clear and visible on the PS3 version.

Kind of inconsistent.

Yep. Especially in these two shots:

http://yoda.dip.jp/Game/StarWarsTFU/StarWarsTFU_04_PS3.png
http://yoda.dip.jp/Game/StarWarsTFU/StarWarsTFU_04_360.png

It becomes very clear how inferior the textures on the PS3 version are. Specifically on the floor but also on the wall to the right, and the object in the bottom left. A lot of detail missing.

You're kidding right? I haven't seen anything that isn't explained by the fact that in general the 360 version is a little darker......except for......wait......zomg!! The ps3 version has R2D2 and the 360 version doesn't!!! Now there's a deciding factor.

Yep. Especially in these two shots:

http://yoda.dip.jp/Game/StarWarsTFU/StarWarsTFU_04_PS3.png
http://yoda.dip.jp/Game/StarWarsTFU/StarWarsTFU_04_360.png

It becomes very clear how inferior the textures on the PS3 version are. Specifically on the floor but also on the wall to the right, and the object in the bottom left. A lot of detail missing.

Really? Christ, I need some better eyes then. All I see is some differences in lighting, but other than that I'd probably not be able to tell the two versions apart.

Really? Christ, I need some better eyes then. All I see is some differences in lighting, but other than that I'd probably not be able to tell the two versions apart.
The floor details are kind of clearer defined on the 360 version. Also the reflections are slightly blurrier on the PS3 version.

Also check the green screens. They are crispier on the 360.

On the wall on the left side of the green screens, watch the resolution of the lights. The small lines of light are more visible on the 360. On the PS3 they blur out much more as they get farther from you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back