*Game Tech*

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by zaftxx, Apr 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Deap

Newcomer

The framerate is wrong for the comparison & you can't see it due that the actual game run at 60fps on both version.

2. grandmaster

Veteran

Yes it's worth pointing out that 99.99% of internet games video is running at 29.97 or 30fps. The encoders basically drop every other frame, or worse yet, blend two frames together. In some cases this is fine. For example, a locked 30fps game like PGR4 or 360 GRID will look absolutely fine. However, for games that aren't v-locked (Uncharted), run at variable frame rates (360 GTAIV) or run at 60fps (SCIV), you aren't getting the whole picture.

This is one of the reasons why the Eurogamer comparison videos run at half or quarter speed, so we can run every frame in sequence.

3. Jazz9

Newcomer

4. fjuri

Newcomer

hard the see any difference imo

360 version looks slightly softer maybe

5. djskribbles

Legend Veteran

they're pretty much identical. one of the closest MP games i've seen so far.

6. Syvere

Newcomer

Well I had to register here after seeing those. Seems like the ONLY difference between xbox and ps3 versions is the antialiasing (or resolution) which is better on XBOX version. PS3 seems to be 0xAA while Xbox looks like it has 2xAA on, whether this is due to higher resolution or actual AA I can't say but the smoother edges are there making Xbox version just slightly more desirable in terms of IQ.

7. obonicus

Veteran

It's quite possible, there's a huge discussion in this thread and others on that. Still, I'm not sure that this difference means that. Maybe once Namco hit their target resolution they saw no need to use more memory (or felt it would be better-used elsewhere) on the PS3, while the 360 would still have space on the EDRAM. The PS3 version does run at 720p.

8. T.B.

Newcomer

Has anyone done framerate comparisons of both versions? The number of pixels per frame is not really a performance metric. (I know -> Framerate Thread)

W.r.t lead platform, I guess you can't deduct that from their history. Just because you've done a PS3 title doesn't mean you'll lead on it again. (Seriously, if you've done a launch-title, chances are you'll try 360. ;))
    It's also not companies programming games, it's engineers. If you have more/better guys on the 360 team, it will show.

That said, I can understand why people find it easier to get performance out of 360. I don't think the PS3 is slower, though.

9. liolio

liolio Aquoiboniste
    Legend

Not sure as the 360 version can be percieved as blured.
    And the game doesn't benefit form this higher resolution when upscale to 1080P, it's downscaled then up scaled +> even more blur.

It's possible that the game could have been better @ native 720p.

I don't see the point of pushing 33% more pixels just to add some blur.
    If they have been about push the 360 they would have implement tiling and AAx2 (the GPU had legs to deal with it...).

So I still don't get Namco's choices.

10. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

33% pixels downsampled does not equal blur. It's supersampling antialiasing!

11. SG79

Regular

That's true. Few of the previews going back to late last year noted of some frame rate issues on the PS3 version that's evidently gone, so that tells me that the 360 was the lead platform in this case. I suppose it's a first for a game to turn out so well from 360 to PS3.

I suppose RR7 was essentially another similar case, so that leaves Tekken 6 which was developed solely on the PS3.

12. chachi

Newcomer

The 360 performing better isn't a indication of what was the lead platform, that's pretty much par for the course when you're not CPU limited. The question was probably about why Namco would go to the bother of rendering at a higher resolution when the end results, especially at 1080p, don't seem worth it.

In this case I'd guess the ps3 was the lead platform just because of how sub-optimal 1080p turned out on the 360. Well, that and the ps3 doing much better in Japan.

13. wco81

Legend

:huh:Madden 09 demo is out for both systems now. There are also in-game clips posted on easportsworld.com.

So they finally deliver frame-rate parity (in Madden 08, the difference caused something of an uproar about EA's competence or PS3's inferior tools, etc.).

The lighting seems improved too.

But now people are complaining that in the PS3 version, the football doesn't spin, especially in slow-mo replays. Some people say one of the EA producers said it had something to do with compressed replays?

14. SG79

Regular

Just a guess, considering that the only other PS3 lead project I can think of atm was Burnout and prior to release, the 360 version was lagging a bit behind. Unless Criterion was better at adapting to the CPU than Namco's Soul team. that was the basis of my assumption.

Anyway, for SC, Japan is really a non-factor. The series has never been that popular there, and there are no current plans for an arcade version (Tekken 6 is still on the top performers chart there).

15. Obi-Wan Kenobi

Newcomer

Mod Note: You only need to hit the post button once (9 times already!). As a new member your first few posts must be approved.

Around here, we do not approve of posts that are essentially photo galleries i.e. img tags on everything. It also would not hurt for you to actually discuss what you are posting either. These are discussion forums afterall. -AlS

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3156/2787856362_2437eb788c_b.jpg

PS3
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3175/2787001249_84fea6ab41_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3014/2787853168_68a01dce49_b.jpg

PS3
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3175/2786998551_fc4902b364_b.jpg

[​IMG]

PS3
    [​IMG]

http://www.ibabuzz.com/videogames/2008/08/22/star-wars-force-unleashed-ps3-and-xbox-comparison/

16. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

Considering that the last two shots show nearly identical results, did you really need to use img tags on everything in your original post? Anyways, I've edited your post and approved it, so quit hitting the post button!

17. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

Blurrier textures on the PS3 version?

18. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

Looks it , most likely the extra texture ram at work. Also I wonder if the lighting is better on the 360 due to fp10 vs int 8 for hdr lighting ?

19. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

What do you mean by INT8 and HDR? INT8 is inherently LDR unless you're thinking of NAO32, which itself would have much higher dynamic range than FP10.

20. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

didn't the old geforce fx cards use int 8 for their hdr. I recall a large discusion on if it was hdr or not back in the day here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.