From the Rumor Mill: X360 Production Stopped Relaunch In February

Qroach said:
i think you'er really stretching to come to a conclusion like that. All gates was saying is that they are in this for the long haul. So if they don't come out a #1, they will be back for another round. that however doesn't mean they won't make money with this console.

Yeah. My bad. I think I was kinda of confused today, and it led me to weird conclusions.
Sorry, here in Brazil it´s quite difficult to get those 360, and I´m a little sad about that.

And: in 6 days the groups of the World Cup are going to be defined, and in Brazil we get anxious to know who we´ll match. :)

I wonder if most of the ppl at Target know any other single item that gets the same attention and demand as xb360 gets now. When they say February, it is very likely that they expect xb360 widely available on February (i.e. you can find easily when you go to their stores). This is something already expected by everybody.

Edge said:
That's just stupid! About MS buying up all the PS3's would not hurt Sony at all, as each PS3 that MS bought, means one more PS3 in production, which would drive down the cost of producing the PS3. Sony is going to lose money on the first PS3's sold, no matter who buys them, and if MS buys them, that does not mean others will not buy them. I realize those units sold to MS would miss out on the software royalty, but driving down the cost of the PS3 through mass production is very important.

No, that's not how it works. If it were a simple matter of making more PS3's to drive the cost down, then Sony can more of them so they can be sold more cheaply! It's not like they're not going to sell! But Sony is capacity constrained on many fronts, from Cell chips to BD-ROM drives, so they can't make more to amortize their fixed costs over more units to drive down the per unit price.

Phat

The part about some issues with 360 manufacturing seems reasonable seeing as there have been reports of overheating and other problems. The rest seems a bit strange. Especially the "relaunch in february". No way does MS "relaunch". Furthermore, if they are going to stop production to sort things out, won't they restart production the minute things get sorted out? A more reasonable take on the rumor would be that MS is having problems and is going to stop shipping xbox360s to retail until such problems are resolved. MS anticipates the next volume shipments to be in February. I'm not saying there is any truth to it, but I suppose it is possible.

xbdestroya said:
I completely agree - but eyes will be even more intently trained on that next shipment than perhaps they already were. It would behoove Microsoft to lay low if it *were* true, so except for the absurdness of it, there's nothing outright disproving it at this point. If they were going to do a recall, I imagine it'd be in February with whatever supposed relaunch - just lay low around Christmas.

You know, I heard a rumor that the RSX is functionally dead. Nvidia has no idea whats wrong. They are going to have to start over from scratch. Sony will end up delaying PS3 till 2062. If would behoove Sony to lay low on this, so don't expect them to comment for the time being.

Aaron Spink
speaking for myself inc.

Circut City told me today that they should be getting another shipment right before Christmas or right after. I was told pretty much the exact same thing at Best Buy on Saturday. Apparently they're both completely unaware there that Microsoft won't be sending those consoles for two months after that... ;)

Alpha_Spartan said:
First of all:
rawhitsalt.jpg

According to a Target rep, Microsoft is having problems with the Xbox 360. ....( snip)QUOTE]

Not to be rude, but I ask again:

If your friend at Target can give you inside info on XBOX 360 Delays & Defective units, why did he/she not give you info on where to purchase one at launch?

She works in corporate not an individual store. Secondly, the Target purchase was a Plan B audible once EB Games fubared my preorder and Walmart didn't pan out. I found out that I needed to go to Target midnight November 22nd.

Alpha_Spartan said:
She works in corporate not an individual store. Secondly, the Target purchase was a Plan B audible once EB Games fubared my preorder and Walmart didn't pan out. I found out that I needed to go to Target midnight November 22nd.

Well bro you truly do have some bad luck if someone that high up could not give you a little help on obtaining info on your purchase prior to the 22nd. I understand plan "B" was the audible, but sounds like she should have been plan "A."

On the bright side, considering the "rumor," atleast you saved yourself 400 bucks.

Rumour status: Untrue

If there was such a fault that it halted production there would have to be a recall of all units.

Hope we don't run out of salt.

Tahir2 said:
If there was such a fault that it halted production there would have to be a recall of all units.
Why? Why recall perfectly working consoles? a fault at production could slow production or produce a high turn around of defective units that are removed, in the main, from the supply chain. Those good consoles are still sold and there's no need to recall them. This isn't like a dangerous fault rumour.

Well they wouldn't be working perfectly. If the factory was producing "perfectly working consoles" then they would'nt halt production completely. If they were to halt production completely it would only be because of a major flaw in the hardware.

They would have to do a total recall, they couldn't just leave flaky hardware out there that might or might not fail.

scooby_dooby said:
If the factory was producing "perfectly working consoles" then they would'nt halt production completely.

Of course they would. If one in two systems was faulty, they'd be burning around $600 for every system sold. That's not acceptable, even for the largest companies in the world. Microsoft's coffers are deep, but shareholders will want them to stay that way.

Gholbine said:
Of course they would. If one in two systems was faulty, they'd be burning around $600 for every system sold. That's not acceptable, even for the largest companies in the world. Microsoft's coffers are deep, but shareholders will want them to stay that way.

um no, unless by not working you mean the entire unit explodes which I find highly unlikely. They are going to use parts that work from failed devices.

There is not major failure with the Xbox360 unit, the failures reported are exxagerrated with regards to the percentage of failed units. The perception is not reflective of the reality (that there are many times more working units than failing ones) however this perception is dangerous nonetheless. I do seem to recall (no pun intended) that the PS2 also had problems at launch with the hardware, and demand as well as production.

If there was a problem with such high levels of Xbox360 units failing it would have been caught earlier than now.

If however this rumour is true (and who knows truly?) then MS have nothing to fear - these problems will iron themselves out in a relatively short period of time (see PS2).

AlphaWolf said:
um no, unless by not working you mean the entire unit explodes which I find highly unlikely. They are going to use parts that work from failed devices.

Obviously it depends on which components aren't working, and I strongly believe that it would most likely be the CPU or GPU, which is most of the cost of the actual system. But you're right, it wouldn't be like burning the whole system.

Tahir2 said:
There is not major failure with the Xbox360 unit, the failures reported are exxagerrated with regards to the percentage of failed units. The perception is not reflective of the reality (that there are many times more working units than failing ones) however this perception is dangerous nonetheless. I do seem to recall (no pun intended) that the PS2 also had problems at launch with the hardware, and demand as well as production.

If there was a problem with such high levels of Xbox360 units failing it would have been caught earlier than now.

If however this rumour is true (and who knows truly?) then MS have nothing to fear - these problems will iron themselves out in a relatively short period of time (see PS2).

I just find it funny. For weeks people have been speculateing(sp?) what the 360 can and cannot do. Once it is proven that the system is very powerful, all you hear about is how bad the "first gen games look." Now that the "first gen games" are out and looking pretty good, along with fantastic media capabilites, the "rumors" begin to spread. Sad actually.

All I can say is I am truly enjoying what MS has put together with the 360. I've had no problems, and have not suffered any radiation side affects. If anything the quality of the first gen titles I played at Zero Hour, and am now playing at home, surprise me. I look forward to the upcoming titles. As a matter of fact I look forward to what the PS3/Revilution will have (with actually in-game play), and may even pick both up thanks to the quality of what MS has shown.

As for the rumor? With no offical word it is probably false.

Uh, it's certainly false.

Geez.

This post is four pages though. Sort of like how the Xcpu was downgraded to 2.8 GHZ..

Back