From the Rumor Mill: X360 Production Stopped Relaunch In February

This rumour, if true, pretty much explains what Gates said some days ago: "If we lose this round (videogames market), we´ll play it again". Maybe he was aware of the problems with the 360 (if they effectively exist).
And I´m not happy with this possibility. Competition is what took consoles to the level we´re seeing "today" (360, PS3 and Revolution).

i think you'er really stretching to come to a conclusion like that. All gates was saying is that they are in this for the long haul. So if they don't come out a #1, they will be back for another round. that however doesn't mean they won't make money with this console.

One possible explaination could be that those chinese workers may work day and night - like 16 hours a day, 7 days a week. And when people are pushed for deadlines, or working as much as they do, they make mistakes. The mistake can simply be sloppy application of cooling paste or some such thing.

Anyway, I just think it is funny how MS has KB articles on the X2 problems :) Though I think it is really great of them to admit those problems.

fbomber666 said:
This rumour, if true, pretty much explains what Gates said some days ago: "If we lose this round (videogames market), we´ll play it again". Maybe he was aware of the problems with the 360 (if they effectively exist).
And I´m not happy with this possibility. Competition is what took consoles to the level we´re seeing "today" (360, PS3 and Revolution).
Wow....just WOW

This is an interesting rumour considering that MS has supposedly been manufacturing systems since August.... even if were cynical and say its august 31st... thats still all of September and October and only now they find out they have a "generally defective" system?

Alpha_Spartan said:
Sorry, LB, but are you calling my source a liar? Either she told me the truth or she went out of her way to bash Microsoft.

Must suck , wonder where the 3 xbox 360 premiums and 1 core came from today in shipment .

Alpha_Spartan said:
If you went though what I went through a week ago, you would believe it.

1)EB Games launch shipment gets cut in half. I'm on second shipment.

2)Go to Walmart first in line for a 360 and two employees flat out lied about the launch plans. They said show up at 12, there will be no tickets handed out. Tickets were handed out 3 hours after I left. :|

3)Arrive at Target the next morning. Only two cores left. I could have had a 360 but rejected that milk machine.

4)I go to TRU and there's no line. So I went to Sears who lied and said they had 50 units. When the opened up we found out that the TWO Cores they were expecting hadn't shipped yet. To this day, they still haven't shipped. I go back to TRU and there's a line 15 deep. I go home empty handed.

So at the end of the day, I did feel that MS personally tried to shaft me and I've been trying to find out why this is the case. High demand? False demand? Manufacturing problems? We'll find out at the end of this week.

1) your wrong. Eb's shipments were never cut in half as eb did not get numbers untill the week before launch.

Some how Gamestop was able to get numbers right and all reciepts after the 26th of may (or was it the 24th) say no expected date on them. The ones before that date have the guarnteed sku number .

2) sucks to be u but how is this ms's fault or has anything to do with launch units ?

3)sucks to be you once again . You could have boughti t and played games on it . It was your choice to wait for the other system. I know many people that were happy to get the core as that is what they wanted .

4) sucks to be you , should have stayed in line . As for sears they are not a huge video game seller so of course they are going to get fewer units . My local shoprite got in 1 core unit also and they sell only grocerys but hey guess what , i didn't expect them to have a 100 units of something htey normaly never sell

You have yet to give any proof that ms has made a demand issue by limiting supply .

As a matter of fact you were able to buy a system in 3 places . You could have had a unit at walmart if u waited , you could have had a premium at tru if u didn't leave for some uknown reason and you could have had a core at target but u snubed your nose at it .

jvd said:
Must suck , wonder where the 3 xbox 360 premiums and 1 core came from today in shipment .

I think if anything a 4 console restocking would only supports the possibility that there might be some serious manufacturing issues. Additionally I don't think anything that has been said has gone against the possibility that MS might be throwing away a rather large portion of the Xbox's made due to the supposed issue (and the ones we are getting are the "good" boxes), and because of the issue they might have to shut down the plant and fix the issue and restart production -- Its a possibility and chances are we'll probably not know if infact it happened. Even if, in december, more boxes come in it doesn't mean that there aren't some crazy production issues as well. Unless we know full production capacity (the number produced assuming every single Xbox was salable) and full shipped units we can't claim to know if there is any production issues... we likely won't know, and with a supply issues as they are and the newness of a worldwide launch which constricts supply even more than usual, there isn't a feasible way to determine it.

Either way I'm not sure why it should really matter, MS still thinks they'll be able to get their 2.5-3m consoles out before the end of the year, and if they do they've met their goal (its possible their goal had in mind some production issues, or they just don't exist and this is all a conspiracy theory).

I wouldn't totally say the rumor is BS, but I also would say that if its true, its already being accounted for and we are already experiencing it (if it's happening MS probably knew about it a couple months ago and wanted to get through christmas and take the hit instead of missing a launch).

It seems a lot of you have misunderstood the circumstances surrounding the rumor and what it actually means -- it could full well be true and we wouldn't know it, because the only way it could be true is if it was known to MS from the start.

I think if anything a 4 console restocking would only supports the possibility that there might be some serious manufacturing issues

How so ? This is the same as with the ps2 launch in america . We had small inital launch and then few units started coming in . That was a really bad year . I remember we were told shipment was coming in and had a line of 8 people and we got 1 ps2 .

But that was 1 ps2 over all the gamestops out there . This is the same most stores are getting 4 or 5 consoles at a time but that is over what 2k gamestops ? Not only that but we were told all our preorders will be filled before x mass eve .

As for the rest of the paragraph I believe what you want to find out is how many units fit on an airplane and how many full airplanes they could ship at once.

If its true that ships take 4+ weeks then we will most likely see the bulk of units hittin in late december and as regular shpments sail through the world we will see normaly refills of x amount of units .

No refill willl be as high as the inital shipments as once preorders are done most video gamestores wont have the storage space on hand to store 15-20 units. I know our backroom right now cna barely fit the few units we got in today .

Either way I'm not sure why it should really matter, MS still thinks they'll be able to get their 2.5-3m consoles out before the end of the year, and if they do they've met their goal (its possible their goal had in mind some production issues, or they just don't exist and this is all a conspiracy theory).
Yup , i believe worldwide they will hit that number. If its true that europe is getting 300k units on launch day and we got a little over 500k (as some are predicting ) that is already 800k and we still have japan to include and then the weekly shpiments. .

I wouldn't totally say the rumor is BS, but I also would say that if its true, its already being accounted for and we are already experiencing it (if it's happening MS probably knew about it a couple months ago and wanted to get through christmas and take the hit instead of missing a launch).
I'm sure that there are production problems like all launches . However i don't see why people think they are so bad . Its a launch of a new console . Yields are going to be the lowest they ever will be and demand will be at one of the highest points of the consoles life

It seems a lot of you have misunderstood the circumstances surrounding the rumor and what it actually means -- it could full well be true and we wouldn't know it, because the only way it could be true is if it was known to MS from the start.
thep roblem with the rumor is that it trys to make it sound like this has never happened before instead of showing that this is how it was with the xbox and the ps2 before it .

Limited supply with high demand .

jvd said:
No refill willl be as high as the inital shipments as once preorders are done most video gamestores wont have the storage space on hand to store 15-20 units. I know our backroom right now cna barely fit the few units we got in today .

Good grief JVD!!!! Sell the man a frickin X360 so he'll shut the hell up!:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't , we fill preorders first .

We aren't eb . Besides I don't think he wants to drive to jersey .

jvd said:

I think for the most part we are in agreement. I didn't realize that PS2 had the same type of restocking numbers, so its likely there are some production problems, BUT it seems to be the case with all console launches and MS knew ahead of time they'd have to deal with it -- shutting down the plant may have to happen, but a supply problem like that was planned for ahead of time and their ~3m unit goal was set with something like that in mind. Who knows...

Again, it seems all launches are plagued with some sort of production problems (if they weren't we'd have a lot more product on all launches). I agree that the tone of the rumor shouldn't be taken as MS being doomed, rather this could be the reason for the inevitable supply problem for MS -- PS3 and Rev will have their own problems.

blakjedi said:
This is an interesting rumour considering that MS has supposedly been manufacturing systems since August.... even if were cynical and say its august 31st... thats still all of September and October and only now they find out they have a "generally defective" system?
That's interesting because I remember a thread on one forum about the "Born on" date of their units and the oldest dates were in October and November...

Oh god the ps2 was horrible. I think demand was a bit higher . But the interent wasn't what it was like today . That was 6 years ago . I remember us being told by the sony rep big shipments were coming in later in the week and we'd get 3 and we'd call her up and complain and she'd say thats huge numbers a third of the initial shipments we got .

IT was bad . But thats what it was like with all launches . I don't blame any of the companys.

The same will happen with the ps3 and the ps4 and the xbox 3

Alpha_Spartan said:
That's interesting because I remember a thread on one forum about the "Born on" date of their units and the oldest dates were in October and November...
not the systems themselves but the pieces in the system. The cpu and gpu were produced before october . By the time they were put together it could have been late october

digitalwanderer said:
Crazy as this sounds, I betcha it would really hurt Sony and M$ could just about pull it off!

That's just stupid! About MS buying up all the PS3's would not hurt Sony at all, as each PS3 that MS bought, means one more PS3 in production, which would drive down the cost of producing the PS3. Sony is going to lose money on the first PS3's sold, no matter who buys them, and if MS buys them, that does not mean others will not buy them. I realize those units sold to MS would miss out on the software royalty, but driving down the cost of the PS3 through mass production is very important.

Concerning this rumor about a re-launch, that is just so absurd.

QFT = Quoted for Truth. LOL!

QFT everyone! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
jvd said:
1) your wrong. Eb's shipments were never cut in half as eb did not get numbers untill the week before launch.
Well I guess three EB clerks lied to me then. Back in August when I preordered, EB called me and told me that I could preorder after first rejecting my preorder due to a full list.
2) sucks to be u but how is this ms's fault or has anything to do with launch units ?
Where did I blame MS?
3)sucks to be you once again . You could have boughti t and played games on it . It was your choice to wait for the other system. I know many people that were happy to get the core as that is what they wanted .
I accept my decision and I don't regret it. The Core is unacceptable IMHO.
You have yet to give any proof that ms has made a demand issue by limiting supply .
I never suggested that. I never suggested that it was MS fault that I didn't get my Premium 360. I facetiously insinuated that it felt like MS didn't want me to get an Xbox 360.

Edge said:
That's just stupid! About MS buying up all the PS3's would not hurt Sony at all, as each PS3 that MS bought, means one more PS3 in production, which would drive down the cost of producing the PS3. Sony is going to lose money on the first PS3's sold, no matter who buys them, and if MS buys them, that does not mean others will not buy them. I realize those units sold to MS would miss out on the software royalty, but driving down the cost of the PS3 through mass production is very important.

Concerning this rumor about a re-launch, that is just so absurd.

QFT = Quoted for Truth. LOL!

QFT everyone! :)

But it would effectively delay the launch until Sony could produce more, and it's not like those consoles would have had trouble selling.

BTW, maybe the 'defect' is in the power brick. It's what...a 300 watt passively cooled power supply that is sitting on a rug? Supposendly many of the xbox problems have been due to the power supply overheating, maybe it just needs a redesign so it better disappates heat, such as putting feet on it so no side will lay flat against a carpet.

Well I guess three EB clerks lied to me then. Back in August when I preordered, EB called me and told me that I could preorder after first rejecting my preorder due to a full list.

Must be as my good friend from highschool is a manager at one of the biggest ebs on the east coast and we are both good friends with his Rm and Dm .

Eb screwed the pooch taking preorders before numbers came in , However this is what they did with the ps2 , dreamcast , gamecube , xbox , psp and other systems .

Where did I blame MS?
Your the one going on and on and spreading theorys of how ms is having problems .

I accept my decision and I don't regret it. The Core is unacceptable IMHO.
Thats unacceptable to you , many others think its just fine .

Yet you claim ms is trying to milk people (blaming them again ) while its really you who only wants the best . TO many teh core unit fits thier budget and needs quite nicely .

I never suggested that. I never suggested that it was MS fault that I didn't get my Premium 360. I facetiously insinuated that it felt like MS didn't want me to get an Xbox 360
You blame them for alot of things in your posts and by the rumor spreading your doing .

Quite frankly as a person who has been working in retail since right after the dreamcast launch I can tell u that while bad the ps2 launch was much much worse and all launches have problems. Even the gamecube systems were rare in the first weeks of launch

Someone at another forum is saying a Target employee also told him about a delay until February.

Unless he went to the same Target as Alpha, maybe Target is spreading this around to their stores?

Back