From the Rumor Mill: X360 Production Stopped Relaunch In February

Bill said:
Sort of like how the Xcpu was downgraded to 2.8 GHZ..

I still wonder about that?

Why hasn’t IBM or Microsoft disclosed the power consumption of the Xenon CPU in the official white paper release? Can’t someone to a certain degree figure out the actual clock core speed by comparing it too the latest PowerPC processor (i.e. power consumption equals this (GHz) at this wattage).

I’m not disputing Microsoft claim per-se; I just find it funny that IBM can’t say anything about it. Is there anyway possible for (PC) hardware sites too dispelled rumors like this? Possible testing equipment that is used on PC CPUs…except…somehow uses them on console technology. :???:

Inq says it's because if Sony knows the power consumption, using various formulas they can then get an idea of the yields on the chip, which is competitive advantage. So it's like a trade secret.

But as they noted, Sony has X360's in the lab anyway now

Same will go in reverse.

Anyway you're right though. I agree. I have to wonder if Cell is really running at 3.2 ghz, and if there is anyway to test if perhaps Sony will downclock it to 2.8 in the final PS3 hardware? Who would know? It's an interesting idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill said:
Inq says it's because if Sony knows the power consumption, using various formulas they can then get an idea of the yields on the chip, which is competitive advantage. So it's like a trade secret.

But as they noted, Sony has X360's in the lab anyway now

Same will go in reverse.

Anyway you're right though. I agree. I have to wonder if Cell is really running at 3.2 ghz, and if there is anyway to test if perhaps Sony will downclock it to 2.8 in the final PS3 hardware? Who would know? It's an interesting idea.

Ah ha, a console version of Futuremarks “3D Markâ€￾ program. That would display all the technical information of the game system and performance (benchmarking). Man that would be awesome to see PS3, Xbox 360, and Revolution benchmarking scores. The new program will be tailored for each system specialized CPU, GPU, ECT…hardware.

“3D Marks Console 2006 Editionâ€￾ :cool:

Ok, well stick a fork in this one

http://blogs.msdn.com/xbox/

Today, a couple of us spent a good deal of the day today pouring over feedback from forums and blogs. There are a couple of particularly nasty rumors that I’d love to address. I know Molly continues to work with the mainstream press, so you should expect news stories to continue.

Recall Rumors are 100% False: The nastiest RUMOR that’s making the rounds is that Microsoft is going to do some sort of a recall of the Xbox 360. Several forum threads I’ve seen are talking about folks going into retailers, only to be told that there will be no more units coming because of a Microsoft recall. NOT TRUE! If you're told this by a retailer, let me know.

Replenishment Units Are On The Ground: Also, there are reports of some retailers saying they won’t have units for weeks or months. Also not true (in most cases). My theory is that some people might be tired of the constant calls, so they’ve made something up to get people to quit calling. We are shipping units constantly (we have chartered 747’s regularly flying in with units). Some retailers have a backorder wait list, and might not have units that will be on shelf for some time, and some retailers might allocate more units to one store over another, but all stores that have placed orders are getting replenishments regularly.
In fact, we have confirmation that units are on the ground and on their way to retailers this week. When those will go from our warehouses to retailer warehouses, then to retailer locations is largely up to those retailers, so there’s no easy way to say which store will get product on which day. You should call your local retailer to find out. We remain on track to ship 2.75 to 3.0 million consoles in the first 90 days.

Hardware Replacements in as Few as 5-7 Days: I saw a couple of posts where people with problems were postponing calling 800-4MYXBOX. Not sure if it’s because of long wait times (now the rush of launch is beginning to die down, those are diminishing), or that they think they might be weeks without a console. Truth is that we’re turning around replacement/repaired units extremely quickly, in as few as 5-7 business days. Our support reps have been trained to troubleshoot your problems over the phone. When a return is necessary, we overnight a prepaid box to you, which allows you to overnight your console back to us. In most cases, we troubleshoot/repair/replace your Xbox 360 in 1-2 days, and we overnight it back. We planned for world-class customer satisfaction, and have plenty of consoles, parts, and trained employees to handle the volume.

We're Not Holding Back: I’m continue to see comments/questions about Microsoft holding back inventory to keep the price inflated/keep hype going. We have shipped every console we’ve made, and we’re making more as fast as we can. Fact is, there is significantly more demand than supply, and will be for some time. We’re all gamers, and we all understand how frustrating it is to wait. We’re doing all we can to get Xbox 360 controllers into the hands of those that have waited so long. But believe me when I say, we aren't holding units, and we're not creating hype for hype's sake. There's no good economic justification for that (but that's the subject for another blog post...).
That's it for now...

I don't think I've ever seen such a coordinated effort by Internet posters to destroy a console launch like I've seen for the Xbox 360. It's nasty and downright pathetic. Has ******ism really reached this level?

Nerve-Damage said:
Ah ha, a console version of Futuremarks “3D Markâ€￾ program. That would display all the technical information of the game system and performance (benchmarking). Man that would be awesome to see PS3, Xbox 360, and Revolution benchmarking scores. The new program will be tailored for each system specialized CPU, GPU, ECT…hardware.

“3D Marks Console 2006 Editionâ€￾ :cool:

Seriously though, there's no way MS lowered the speed now because it's in the official specs..so it would be breaking advertising laws.

Yeah, I'd love to see console benchmarks..just like I want a console fraps so we can end these framerate debates with actual data.

Metal said:
I don't think I've ever seen such a coordinated effort by Internet posters to destroy a console launch like I've seen for the Xbox 360. It's nasty and downright pathetic. Has ******ism really reached this level?
im sure you were here for the psp launch? nintendo fans went wild. remember the claims the psp shot out discs like ninja stars and the umd bay would open when you "twist" it.

good times. o_O

Metal said:

Had you forgotten the concerted effort from the opposite camp for the past 3-4 mos???

•PS3 won't be ready as far as 2007
•PS3 will cost over $500
•Sony about to go bankrupt
•BR will be too costly
•BR drives will be unreliable
•BR format is doomed
•hdtv adoption will freeze at 15%
•mass exodus of developer support from PS3 to X360
•PS3 game development will be too costly
•Cell will not run game code well
•Cell development is doomed

Well, that's off the top of my head, but I'm sure it only touched the tip of an iceberg. :D

Alpha_Spartan said:
Davey, QFT = "Quoted For Truth". You need to keep up with forum lingo, man. :p

When I first saw it I thought it stood for "Quit Fucking Talking".

:D

when I first saw this, I 'figured it out' to mean:

Quite Fucking True

so I guess I got the gist! ;)

Bill said:
Seriously... You ought to stop reading the inquirer, because that's the biggest load of horseshit I read in a good while. No wonder you make such crazy posts, listening to nonsense like that! :D

Really, that's completely bollocks from start to end. Like so much else that the inq farts out. Boycott them, that site is run by a gang of incompetent compulsive liars.

Yeah gaming forums are just flooded with these all the time. It's just a viscious coordinated attack on the PS3. I mean how in the world can Sony survive it.

randycat99 said:
Had you forgotten the concerted effort from the opposite camp for the past 3-4 mos???

•PS3 won't be ready as far as 2007
•PS3 will cost over $500
•Sony about to go bankrupt
•BR will be too costly
•BR drives will be unreliable
•BR format is doomed
•hdtv adoption will freeze at 15%
•mass exodus of developer support from PS3 to X360
•PS3 game development will be too costly
•Cell will not run game code well
•Cell development is doomed

Well, that's off the top of my head, but I'm sure it only touched the tip of an iceberg. :D

heh that's not even close to what has happened with xbox 360 reporting so far. I mean how many articles where there saying, "don't buy a 360 and here's my reason why" . MS has been slammed in the media more than I've ever seen for a new console. It was pretty bad with xbox 1 as well, but xbox 360 has had it worse.

Not to forget all the misconceptions in the media as well.

Alpha_Spartan said:
Thus the purpose of this thread. That didn't take long did it. Lock it up.

The Internet is a beautiful thing. It's a powerful thing as well.

Did you make the whole thing up to get an official response?? That would be genious!

Qroach said:
heh that's not even close to what has happened with xbox 360 reporting so far. I mean how many articles where there saying, "don't buy a 360 and here's my reason why" . MS has been slammed in the media more than I've ever seen for a new console. It was pretty bad with xbox 1 as well, but xbox 360 has had it worse.

I have to agree there, 3 of my casual gamer friends have all mentioned x360, and the exact same comment every time "I heard they're like melting or something"

I don't know where they get this shit, obviously from TV or the paper, pretty wierd though.

Qroach said:
heh that's not even close to what has happened with xbox 360 reporting so far.
Oh really? Coz from where I'm sitting, I can't for my life imagine what it is you're talking about. Poo-pooing has been at least 3x worse on PS3/cell compared to anything associated with MS/360.

I mean how many articles where there saying, "don't buy a 360 and here's my reason why" .
Sheesh, like there hasn't been AT LEAST as many for nintendo (and most certainly more). And yes, people have said they won't buy PS3 too.

MS has been slammed in the media more than I've ever seen for a new console.
Again, really?

My take on it is MS has received an incredible amount of goodwill and enthusiasm in the press AND online. People have generally been very enthusiastic and optimistic regarding x360, frankly I've no idea WTF it is you're going on about. There was a bit of bitching and whining when the 360 name was leaked but people soon forgot about that. And the GIANT external PSU deal isn't anything compared to the million and one threads we had regarding BR < HDDVD just to mention one example.

Which ones? Besides, when do mainstream press get anything like this right? Howstuffworks.com published a "how does xbox work" (read: MS-paid advert) when it was released and claimed lots of clearly erroneous stuff (the 4 billion AA samples/sec figure, 250MHz GPU clockrate and other highly bogus infos).

Back