Forza Motorsport 7 [XO, XPA, PC]

I could be wrong with this game, but that means the developers are using the english language incorrectly,
if they are first rendering at 8k and then scaling to 4k then they are scaling it at 50%, not 200% like the game states.

8k scaled by 50% = 4k, 8k * 0.5 = 4k

i.e. in a logical step list
step 1. render at X resolution
step 2. scale image
step 3. display that scaled image
To be clear, Turn 10 didn't make this naming convention up or something.
As I understand it, this is just how DSR is read.

100% is native to your display device (or your current display resolution). This is baseline metric. Since that could be 4K or 1080p, or 1920x1200 etc.
Anything higher than 100%, is a % increase in both X and Y axis.

Displaying 200% of native resolution is double your native.

Broke down and played the demo the vanilla XB1. Looks a bit dated so I'm sure the X1X edition will feel like a proper bump.

I have been playing Horizon which is 30fps for my dated comment reference.

possible. was a bit tired when i watched DigitalFoundry Demo video but other than No dynamic weather I don't think mechanical/Visual damage has been answered in that particular video. I've not followed the Dev/Promo process as i don't own a XB1 that is why I asked these questions in a forum.
It has dynamic weather and it is very impressive. Cars take damage but nothing too detailed. I havent spotted any amazing smoke efffects from the demo. The game has very detailed environments for a 60fps One game that runs at 1080p fix

Why was my post moved out of the Forza 7 thread? I was talking solely about F7

Not sure, wasnt me.

I think I moved it back. If so, let me know so I can clean up that post, thus post, and your response.

Xbox One X version adds a few clouds and reflections.

3pPpXW7.jpg

R9Hnsal.jpg

sRhuuTy.jpg

zFTsGqZ.jpg

Xbox One X version adds a few clouds and reflections.

3pPpXW7.jpg

R9Hnsal.jpg

sRhuuTy.jpg

zFTsGqZ.jpg
Not really. The same reflections (and probably better) are present on the PC version. Maybe they are also on S? Not sure

Clouds are moving constantly and the light emitted on to the track depends on the position of the clouds. So it is contextual. Images from the PC version
Forza Motorsport 7 Demo 10_14_2017 2_12_19 AM.jpg Forza Motorsport 7 Demo 10_14_2017 2_14_25 AM.jpg Forza Motorsport 7 Demo 10_14_2017 2_14_40 AM.jpg Forza Motorsport 7 Demo 10_14_2017 2_13_03 AM.jpg Forza Motorsport 7 Demo 10_14_2017 2_13_15 AM.jpg

Damn, those PC images are nice....especially the road textures. Curious hold X1X version will hold up.

Waiting for the x to be released to buy this. Don’t care about playing it on the vanilla xb1 and it will be cheaper by the time the x launches.

Damn, those PC images are nice....especially the road textures. Curious hold X1X version will hold up.
Yea there is a lot of detail in the game once it goes to 4K ultra. Like a _lot_. That was the first thing I noticed about the game and the e3 Scorpio presentation watching off a 4K HDR screen. There were very high levels of detail even though the viewing angle and distance was significantly further than what were used to seeing for 1080p. Most of the time we see high level of details up close, but 4K drags it out to mid range, nearly almost far range. 4K makes for an interesting reason to have far draw distances; because it's capable of drawing really fine things even at range.

I still haven't seen native yet either, we still see a lot of compression artifacts from posting here on the boards. And even though I have a system that supports 4K DSR. It's still not the same as native with HDR.

I was wondering, how does the resolution scaling option in the PC settings work?
When you choose 4K resolution and set it to 200% does the game really render at 8k native?
I am trying to understand why PC settings have a percentage res scaling mixed with resolution instead of various resolution presets

I was wondering, how does the resolution scaling option in the PC settings work?
When you choose 4K resolution and set it to 200% does the game really render at 8k native?
I am trying to understand why PC settings have a percentage res scaling mixed with resolution instead of various resolution presets
Are you using the demo or the live game?
I can check it out when I get home later tonight

Yes. In short, it's rendering the game at that percentage of your screen resolution and then downsampling it to your resolution if >100% or upsampling it if <100%.

Regards,
SB

So I tried this and I couldn't get consistent results.
So I set to 2x 1080p as my resolution and set resolution scaling to 200%, this should get me to 4K if I'm doing math right. It resulted in about avg 45 FPS.

When I do straight 4K I hold 60fps avg.

When I did 4K + 200% I was getting 18fps.

I'm not entirely sure how it works. And having seen the benchmark run so many times now, I really hate the way they did the mist effect behind the car. I wish they had included a proper ultra version of it. It's just so... eww. This is where as I look at this demo more and more I'm starting to agree with you about DC and taking its heavy IQ faults and weighing its total package as higher. But we can discuss that in another thread.

So I tried this and I couldn't get consistent results.
So I set to 2x 1080p as my resolution and set resolution scaling to 200%, this should get me to 4K if I'm doing math right. It resulted in about avg 45 FPS.

When I do straight 4K I hold 60fps avg.

When I did 4K + 200% I was getting 18fps.

I'm not entirely sure how it works. And having seen the benchmark run so many times now, I really hate the way they did the mist effect behind the car. I wish they had included a proper ultra version of it. It's just so... eww. This is where as I look at this demo more and more I'm starting to agree with you about DC and taking its heavy IQ faults and weighing its total package as higher. But we can discuss that in another thread.

200% should be 2x on each axis (not 200% more pixels). So 1920x1080 -> 3840x2160. And then there's a bit of cost associated with downsampling it.

Regards,
SB

So it is indeed a higher pixel count, a true increase in native resolution in each axis just followed by a downsampling to fit the screen resolution?

So it is indeed a higher pixel count, a true increase in native resolution in each axis just followed by a downsampling to fit the screen resolution?
It does indiciate that the back buffer size is being altered directly by the scale. So to improve performance one can reduce the scale and have it upscale back to the desired resolution.

Seems to make sense.

The question then becomes, which does a better job at resolution scaling? The game? Or nvidia drivers?

It does indiciate that the back buffer size is being altered directly by the scale. So to improve performance one can reduce the scale and have it upscale back to the desired resolution.

Seems to make sense.

The question then becomes, which does a better job at resolution scaling? The game? Or nvidia drivers?
I am kinda lost still.
:p

Back