Forza Motorsport 7 [XO, XPA, PC]

This is what i call an excellent developer, at least on the technical part : optimal balance between graphics and performances.

Polyphony is far from Turn 10 if we consider their most recent games : GT5, GT6.

Their games are always too ambitious for the hardware. I doubt GTS will get a locked framerate...

Played on my PC. Could almost max out 4K@60 ultra everything.
4xMSAA made it easier.
Max settings 4XMSAA, 4K@60 locked here , even on the benchmark with heavy rains and 15 cars on screen. GPU utilization there is 80~90%, drops to 70% in clear tracks, using GTX 1070.

For some peculiar reason my framerate counter doesnt show up with this game :s
Use the latest MSI Afterburner.

Yes I was eating similar dips. I was wondering if it had to do with system memory, or just a lack of overall bandwidth. Not sure to be honest.
Could be CPU related, What's your CPU?

Max settings 4XMSAA, 4K@60 locked here , even on the benchmark with heavy rains and 15 cars on screen. GPU utilization there is 80~90%, drops to 70% in clear tracks, using GTX 1070.

Corei5 6500

Could be, or maybe not enough system ram? Only 8GB.

What are you guys using as a frame counter/monitoring? CAM is not working with Forza 7.
My PC is supposed to be overspeced for it. I have everything on Ultra. Yet I feel some dips. The screentearing is aweful without Vsync.

edit:

Oh ok
I ll check it

But the resolution says 4k. Is it the Resolution Scale that makes it reach 8K?
Yep, he set it at 200%, which is effectively 8K. Though, his GPU and VRAM utilization doesn't really show it, they are begged at 50% each. I expect the card to be 100% @8K.

Yep, he set it at 200%, which is effectively 8K. Though, his GPU and VRAM utilization doesn't really show it, they are begged at 50% each. I expect the card to be 100% @8K.
I tried the same settings. I have 16GB RAM, 1700 Ryzen and a 1080ti OC out of the box to 1700Mhz. Framerate is halved in my case. Wonder if OCing the GPU to 2000Mhz will do the trick? Also the CPU could be at fault?

edit: Ok scratch that. Runs at 8k 60fps stable here too

Last edited:
So when do they do a marketing deal with Hasbro to shove Optimus Prime into the game (and other bayformers).

(and also make it yet another game to feature The Touch)

If its scaled 200% then its not running natively at 8k, its 'only' rendering at 4k and then scaled up to 8k, this of course is a lot easier for the gfx card to render than native 8k.
Actually this brings up a point that pisses me off in games, I suspect when they add 8k modes to games the jump will be 4k -> 8k (4x the resolution with no steps in between)
I have that now all the time on my 4k monitor, games will go like
1024x768
1280x720
1280x768
1152x864
2560x1440

i.e. just small percentage increments in resolution between the modes, and then the next mode we have is

3840x2160 WHAM this mode is more than twice the resolution of the previous mode (3.6mp vs 8.3mp)

If its scaled 200% then its not running natively at 8k, its 'only' rendering at 4k and then scaled up to 8k, this of course is a lot easier for the gfx card to render than native 8k.
Actually this brings up a point that pisses me off in games, I suspect when they add 8k modes to games the jump will be 4k -> 8k (4x the resolution with no steps in between)
I have that now all the time on my 4k monitor, games will go like
1024x768
1280x720
1280x768
1152x864
2560x1440

i.e. just small percentage increments in resolution between the modes, and then the next mode we have is

3840x2160 WHAM this mode is more than twice the resolution of the previous mode (3.6mp vs 8.3mp)

You've got it backwards, that feature allows games to be rendered at a higher resolution and then downscaled to the resolution of your screen.

For rendering at lower than screen resolution you'd render at lower than 100% scale (50%, 75%, etc.).

Regards,
SB

Are these supposed to exist in the final game?
The X version and probably the PC version as well are expected to surpass 100GB
They probably ship only at 4K. It would take some technologies to be put in place to want to start supporting 8K textures.

You've got it backwards,
I could be wrong with this game, but that means the developers are using the english language incorrectly,
if they are first rendering at 8k and then scaling to 4k then they are scaling it at 50%, not 200% like the game states.

8k scaled by 50% = 4k, 8k * 0.5 = 4k

i.e. in a logical step list
step 1. render at X resolution
step 2. scale image
step 3. display that scaled image

I could be wrong with this game, but that means the developers are using the english language incorrectly,
if they are first rendering at 8k and then scaling to 4k then they are scaling it at 50%, not 200% like the game states.

8k scaled by 50% = 4k, 8k * 0.5 = 4k

i.e. in a logical step list
step 1. render at X resolution
step 2. scale image
step 3. display that scaled image

It means you're rendering at 200% of your display resolution. So rendering at 8k vs 4k resolution.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-forza-motorsport-7-demo-comparison

Turn 10 made a pretty good job.

Seems llike all versions retain a very similar quality in terms of detail with the biggest improvement being the higher res on PC and X. The extra detail in higher specced machines is something not immediately noticeable and mostly makes sense when you are playing on 4K res. But all in all Turn 10 managed to pull a very consistent and high quality experience on S that pushes the potential of the machine and isnt far from its more powerful siblings

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-forza-motorsport-7-demo-comparison

Turn 10 made a pretty good job.

Seems llike all versions retain a very similar quality in terms of detail with the biggest improvement being the higher res on PC and X. The extra detail in higher specced machines is something not immediately noticeable and mostly makes sense when you are playing on 4K res. But all in all Turn 10 managed to pull a very consistent and high quality experience on S that pushes the potential of the machine and isnt far from its more powerful siblings
some pictures from the article.

v5lw7o.jpg

high res texturas on elements of the landscape like the mountain by the left

2h3vcio.jpg

Better AF for improved texture sharpness.

a3cg8y.jpg

LOD is much more visible on the good ol' Xbox One compared to the Xbox One X LOD (look at the mountains to the right)

2j0ikjs.jpg

Resolution comparison.

To sum it up:

- Xbox One runs the game at 1080p@60fps

- Xbox One X runs the game using the same settings of a high-end PC, it runs at 4K@60fps with better LOD, more grass, high-res textures, better AF, and more detail.

- Biggest difference is that the OneX version uses EQAA and the PC version applies MSAAx8, which means that it looks a tad cleaner if you play very close to the screen --they look the same from several feet away

Back