Forza Horizon 3 [XO, XPA]

IS there any news of this coming to Steam like Quantum Break and Ryse? I just cant get myself to buy it on that wiers store which keeps shuffling me between an app and a web page and what not.

Edit: aha, seems like the PC demo is finally available. Atleast something to pass the time till it hits steam or till I lose my patience :p lol

IS there any news of this coming to Steam like Quantum Break and Ryse? I just cant get myself to buy it on that wiers store which keeps shuffling me between an app and a web page and what not.

Probably not for a long time. If I were to take a wild guess, not for at least a year. And with Project Scorpio coming out next holiday season potentially re-invigorating sales from titles launching this holiday season that are already 4K ready (Gears of War 4, Forza: Horizons), I'd say probably not for another 2 years at least.

The fact that it's a Play Anywhere title means that Microsoft are less likely to want to put it on Steam when the title is still large in the public eye, since it could cause consumer confusion due to the fact that all digital copies of the game are Play Anywhere titles. A Steam version would more than likely mean it'd be PC only.

Regards,
SB

Played the demo on PC (20gb!?). Gorgeous game that runs very well on my 970. Very impressive stuff, might pick it up for $40 but can't stream it to my living room PC where I really prefer playing car games.

This is how the game will look when you insert Forza 3 Horizon on the Scorpio, says the creative director.

I've always been more of a circuit racer fan boy so generally didn't get into open world driving game.

However, this game has really turned me around. I enjoy it more than any of the regular Forza games. They've done a great job of just letting you have fun however you want and still being able to advance through the game.

There are 2 big issues with the game:
- PC version is poorly optimized but looks great.
- The game doesn't give you enough credits and really is pushing for microtransactions which as a business practice, I hate.

Yeah this title is a strange one. I have some friends who don't like driving games who love Forza Horizon 3. I'm pretty sure it's mainly because of the graphics, combined with all the unlocks and open world nature of the game (you can go almost anywhere you can see within the confines of the map).

I'm planning on picking this up at some point for a casual lark around the countryside. It'll be the first driving game I've purchased since NFS: Underground 2 and Grand Turismo 4. That was a long arsed time ago.

Regards,
SB

The game is going to run at 4k60 fps on Scorpio according to Ralph Fulton, Playground Games director. I still wonder how are they going to achieve that, is it the box of miracles?

Because it seems like too much for the machine and it will explode. Very powerful PCs struggle to run the game at 4k60.Plus the RX480 -the GPU Scorpio is based on, most probably- has a tough time running this game at more than 30 fps on 4k Ultra settings.

From Eurogamer Czech republic;

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/.../2016-12-09-forza-horizon-3-a-project-scorpio

And areajugones:

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/...-correra-en-scorpio-a-4k-y-60-fps-como-en-pc/

I hope it's more than ultra settings. Is that too optimistic? Ultra settings weren't enough for me LOL

A racing game would be a good candidate for having it's frame rate increased, wouldn't it? From what I understand racing games already simulate physics and ai much faster than the framerate. I see numbers like 360Hz tick rate for physics. Basically, I'm wondering if the only cpu overhead needed to hit 60fps would purely be graphics related, and if Scorpio has done a lot of work to reduce cpu overhead, with things like executeindirect, then maybe the clock boost will be enough to get them there.

A racing game would be a good candidate for having it's frame rate increased, wouldn't it? From what I understand racing games already simulate physics and ai much faster than the framerate. I see numbers like 360Hz tick rate for physics. Basically, I'm wondering if the only cpu overhead needed to hit 60fps would purely be graphics related, and if Scorpio has done a lot of work to reduce cpu overhead, with things like executeindirect, then maybe the clock boost will be enough to get them there.

Yes, racing games that are already doing physics simulations 60 times per second (or higher) won't be limited by the CPU WRT to graphics rendering time.

So, in this case, the relatively small increase in CPU speed for Project Scorpio won't be much of a factor in whether FH3 at 4k will run at 30 or 60 FPS. Especially if a FH3 patched for 4k is also able to take advantage of the GPU offloading of draw calls from the CPU. I'm not sure if FH3 was already doing that on XBO or not, and to what extent if it was.

Regards,
SB

Actually, now that I think of it, it gets tricky if they went with 60fps just because of online racing. Do you split up the userbase into 30fps and 60fps players? Probably easiest just to keep them equal, or the scorpio players would have an unfair advantage. That's regardless of whether they could hit 4k native, dynamic or checkeboard.

Back