Formula 1 - 2009 Season

Guess who's won 3 of the last 4 F1 races at Spa? Why, none other than Kimi Räikkönen. Guess what the next race is? Why, it's the Belgian Grand Prix.

I heard they're planning to rename it to Spa Räikköschamp :cool:
The only one of those 4 races he didn't win was the rainy russian roulette.

Sorry but those two never were even near (not only) IMO. Ever since Senna, Prost, Mansell, Schumacher, the next such a big one has yet to appear.

Mansell was pretty average, IMO. His best days came when he was driving the cars with the dominating Honda engines IMO.

Senna I think is the best driver of the recent past IMO. Often winning races even with a clearly slower and inferior car.

Regards,
SB

Mansell was a champ several times, so whatever you may think is not of relevance.

Often winning races even with a clearly slower and inferior car.

Same as Schumacher back then in his first Benneton for example. They're in the same class, with Schumacher maybe being more of a trained guy than a natural talent like Senna.

But regardless, of the current lot no driver has what it takes to line up with those "big" names except maybe Hamilton if he should mature well.

Räikönnen is a joke, really. After several years in two of the strongest teams/cars on the track, he still won nothing of significance. Clearly a different class.

As for Alonso - LOL. I still can't grasp why he's still there at all.

Mansell was pretty average, IMO. His best days came when he was driving the cars with the dominating Honda engines IMO.

Mansell was a champ several times, so whatever you may think is not of relevance.
He only won the WDC once, in 1992, but he was runner-up several times, but when he won it was with a Renault engine. Additionally he was twice a runner-up with Honda V6 turbo power and once with Renault V10 power.

As for Alonso - LOL. I still can't grasp why he's still there at all.
Alonso was a champ several times, so whatever you may think is not of relevance.

Last edited by a moderator:
He was a champion twice and in his third championship run he was shown up by Hamilton so much he started making excuses for his sucking and tried to blame the team for giving Lewis an unfair advantage. You can say what you want about Mclaren favouring Lewis, but they didn't pay all that money to Alonso in an effort to make Hamilton look good, they wanted him to win and give Hamilton some experence under a World Champion, which he did until Hamilton started going much quicker, obviously we all know the result with the big baby running off with his tail between his legs.

Alonso is not as good as you think.

He was a champion twice and in his third championship run he was shown up by Hamilton so much he started making excuses for his sucking and tried to blame the team for giving Lewis an unfair advantage. You can say what you want about Mclaren favouring Lewis, but they didn't pay all that money to Alonso in an effort to make Hamilton look good, they wanted him to win and give Hamilton some experence under a World Champion, which he did until Hamilton started going much quicker, obviously we all know the result with the big baby running off with his tail between his legs.

Alonso is not as good as you think.
Hamilton is probably the best prepared rookie ever in the sport and Alonso had problems adjusting to the team. He still drove some great races and finished with the same amount of points as Hamilton. They won the same amount of races.

Alonso is not as bad as you think.

I don't think he's bad, he's just not anywhere near the level you hold him at.

He's for example, nowhere near as good as Hamilton, nevermind Schumacher.

The only reason he finished with the same points as Hamilton is because Hamilton and Mclaren made some key mistakes in the run in to the title.

Part of Hamilton "being so good" 2007 came from getting to copy Alonsos car settings, sometime during mid-season Alonso made sure that Hamilton wouldn't get his settings anymore, and unsurprisingly, Hamiltons performance went down.

Räikkönen has won championship once, and lost it due mechanical failures at least once, if not twice, yet that's "nothing of significance" when Mansell who only won once too, is one of the best?
Overall Kimi has had terrible luck, probably worst season for him was 2004 - 8 DNF's on one season - and every single one from technical problem.
And McLaren for sure wasn't top2 car for all the seasons Kimi was there, nor has Ferrari been.

Part of Hamilton "being so good" 2007 came from getting to copy Alonsos car settings, sometime during mid-season Alonso made sure that Hamilton wouldn't get his settings anymore, and unsurprisingly, Hamiltons performance went down.

Oh really?

We already settled this back on page 31 in this very topic:

Turkish GP:
LH: 1:27.513 / 1:26.936 / 1:27.373
FA: 1:27.328 / 1:26.841 / 1:27.574

Italian GP:
LH: 1:21.956 / 1:21.746 / 1:22.034
FA: 1:21.718 / 1:21.356 / 1:21.997

Belgian GP:
LH: 1:46.437 / 1:45.132 / 1:46.406
FA: 1:46.058 / 1:45.442 / 1:46.091

Japanese GP:
LH: 1:25.489 / 1:24.753 / 1:25.368
FA: 1:25.379 / 1:24.806 / 1:25.438

Chinese GP:
LH: 1:35.798 / 1:35.898 / 1:35.908
FA: 1:35.809 / 1:35.845 / 1:36.576

Brazilian GP:
LH: 1:13.033 / 1:12.296 / 1:12.082
FA: 1:12.895 / 1:12.637 / 1:12.356

So, in other words - in the 6 races after Hungarian GP where you are proposing could be because Alonso paid to not share his setup with Hamilton - how do you explain the nearly head-to-head performance in qualifying?

xxx, how come your opinions are relevant but no one else's are unless they happen to agree with you?

Oh really?

We already settled this back on page 31 in this very topic:

You do realize that while setup might work great for qualifying, it doesn't mean it's any good in race?
Hamilton and Alonso went more or less neck to neck first 2/3rds of the season, Hamilton getting small edge, but in the last 5 races Alonso, now that Hamilton didn't have his setups anymore, got all the points back ending up at same amount of points (saying 5 since both retired once during those last 6 races)

Regarding Alonsos skill, he's doing really fine on the Renault even now, though it might look even better partly due subpar team mates, but still he's doing fine considering how the car is, same for earlier seasons, he has been driving fine all along even when the car wasn't best on the grid.

And think what you think about Kimi, but only reason he didn't win championship during McLaren years was extremely bad luck with the unreliable cars, he retired over 1/3 of all his races on McLaren due technical failures.

Phil, you should know better than to argue with the Hamilton haters.

They are blinded by their "facts".

You have no idea how fast the Renault would be in someone likes Schumachers hands, so it's irrelevant even mentioning it as there is absolutely nothing to compare him against, maybe he's really not doing well and the Renault should be higher up the grid.

Schumacher at his best in a sub standard car always had a reasonable team-mate that he embarrassed, like Brundle or Herbert.

Where do you get that I hate Hamilton? Just because I like Alonso, I have to hate Hamilton? You are crazy.

Where do you get that I hate Hamilton? Just because I like Alonso, I have to hate Hamilton? You are crazy.
It's not that you like Alonso, more the way you try to rubbish Hamiltons achievements at every opportunity and trying to excuse them away by giving Alonso credit for what Hamilton did.

I think the World and his dog can see why Alonso left Mclaren, he was being shown up by a rookie and he didn't like it. He made sure Briatori wouldn't let the same thing happen again though, which is why Piquet jnr never had a car to the same standard as Alonso.

It's not that you like Alonso, more the way you try to rubbish Hamiltons achievements at every opportunity and trying to excuse them away by giving Alonso credit for what Hamilton did.

I think the World and his dog can see why Alonso left Mclaren, he was being shown up by a rookie and he didn't like it. He made sure Briatori wouldn't let the same thing happen again though, which is why Piquet jnr never had a car to the same standard as Alonso.
Nope, you got it all wrong. Hamilton is a great driver who came into F1 with a huge bang. He almost won the WDC in his first season, was on the podium from day one and was a huge shock to Alonso.

It is you who are rubbishing Alonso. If Alonso is such a bad guy wrt. his team mates, Schumacher is Satan incarnate.

Schumacher was good enough to pull it off though, he didn't need to have his team mate in a inferior car, he was just better than them. Agree or not, that is the crux of Alonso's mardiness. He wanted to be treated like something special, he wanted Hamilton to have a worse car Mclaren have never worked like that so he should've expected it.

I think Brundle and Herbert both enjoyed their best results when Schuamcher was the lead driver, sure they would've been told to let Schumacher win if it came to it which would suck, but they had equal equipment.

As usual, anyone having anything negative to say about Hamilton is hater :rolleyes:

Schumacher at his best in a sub standard car always had a reasonable team-mate that he embarrassed, like Brundle or Herbert.
I wouldn't call Brundle or Herbert really "reasonable" on any scale

Back