Formula 1 - 2009 Season

Force India has copied Brawns diffusor:
force.jpg

But tbh, the current diffusors, including the "super diffusors", are pathetic, they knew in the old days what to do a lot better!
Acar-3.jpg

Also, Ferrari is trying new approach to this all, using flying carpets instead of cars in the race:
z1240499404.jpg

That FI diffusor is very very interresting if you consider that the whole rear of the car basically is a mclaren. If they got the space mclaren should also have the space to bolt it on. Than again I wonder how much of the rest of the car is already suited for the new diffusor as we all now know its not just a case of putting a new diffusor in place.

That brabham fan car is cool btw. Too bad it only raced once. I dont remember who drove it but I remember some other driver commented on the car that it was dangerous to drive behind because the fan would suck up all the small gravel off the track as blow it out at the back. The brabham driver comment was: If you dont like it overtake or fuck off.

The car never got banned btw. Bernie was (owned?) with the team at the time and he decided not to run it anymore which eventually took him to where he is today.

Collin Chapman was actually designing something similair after the car won the race while at the same time trying to get it banned. Kinda like the whole diffuser thing now. Everybody wants it banned but is working in theirs at the same time. Funny how history repeats itself.

codemasters did toca1 + 2 wernt they considered a decent sims ?
cant remember now but i do remember hating the car handling in toca race driver

Also, Ferrari is trying new approach to this all, using flying carpets instead of cars in the race:

I believe flying carpets isn't going to provide the down force needed for their car... and I also believe that solution isn't as fast as the Brawns or Red Bulls... but probably they choose this solution to increase the reliability of their cars... (KERS problem? ECU? engine misfiring? all gone!).

About that brabham car, are the front tires actually smaller than the rear tires or is it just the view?

It looks to me that they are not the same size. Bridgestone are working with the teams to maybe make the front tyre smaller for next year so that the balance of the cars is more natural.

It looks to me that they are not the same size. Bridgestone are working with the teams to maybe make the front tyre smaller for next year so that the balance of the cars is more natural.

it wasn't too long ago when the fronts were still smaller than rears IIRC

Actually the Brabham got banned after just 1 race AFAIK

It didnt got banned afaik. What happend was that the teams protested it, and Bernie who than was with Brabham decided to not use the car anymore. Remember that this was during the Foca-fisa war and it gave Bernie kudo's for doing what he did.

About that brabham car, are the front tires actually smaller than the rear tires or is it just the view?

Yes they are. Untill not that long ago different sized tires were actually very common.

How much was it estimated that each kilo of fuel adds to lap time?
Could someone count the "estimated times" based on the loads?
Times:
1 Jarno Trulli Toyota 1:33.431 20
2 Timo Glock Toyota 1:33.712 20
3 Sebastian Vettel RBR-Renault 1:34.015 18
4 Jenson Button Brawn-Mercedes 1:34.044 20
5 Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes 1:34.196 18
6 Rubens Barrichello Brawn-Mercedes 1:34.239 20
7 Fernando Alonso Renault 1:34.578 20
8 Felipe Massa Ferrari 1:34.818 19
9 Nico Rosberg Williams-Toyota1:35.134 21
10 Kimi Räikkönen Ferrari 1:35.380 19

Weights:
01. Jarno Trulli - 648,5 kg
02. Timo Glock - 643,0 kg
03. Sebastian Vettel - 659,0 kg
04. Jenson Button - 652,5 kg
05. Lewis Hamilton - 652,5 kg
06. Rubens Barrichello - 649,0 kg
07. Fernando Alonso - 650,5 kg
08. Felipe Massa - 664,5 kg
09. Nico Rosberg - 670,6 kg
10. Kimi Raikkonen - 671,5 kg

I know bbc shows fuel weight adjusted lap times for qualifying b4 the race starts

Also does anybody know where I can get my hands on old f1 seasons (on dvd or whatever)? old as in 1975-1985 sorta time frame.

Great job by Vettel and Trulli. Hopefully Alonso can utilise his KERS to pounce on the Brawns off the grid. Rosberg must be feeling down being in a KERS sandwich.

I know bbc shows fuel weight adjusted lap times for qualifying b4 the race starts

Also does anybody know where I can get my hands on old f1 seasons (on dvd or whatever)? old as in 1975-1985 sorta time frame.

As far as I know there isnt anything being sold regarding full race seasons, certainly not of the old days. Do a google for racing underground and check out that site. I heard some good things about them as far as content goes and if they've got nothing available maybe the people at their forum (if they got one) can help you.

The Brawn car is not good on low-fuel runs while it's mighty with a decent fuel load. Weird.

Minimum weight limit is 605kg including driver so everything above that is fuel. All cars actually weight alot less than 605kg btw, there is atleast 100kg+ of ballast in the cars.

found this formula
every kg of fuel adds 0.03 seconds to the lap time

could either coli or someone clever work it out ;)

Back