Formula 1 - 2009 Season

This is interesting, some experts apparently are claiming that Räikkönen didn't spin out of his own mistake, but a gearbox fault, and when you crash yourself you're allowed to switch parts without penalties, so taking the blame would allow them to fix the fault without the normal penalty (gearbox has to last 4 races)
But he continued and he was classified as 16th.

I think the new non-consecutive tyre compounds is a great thing because the greater difference makes tyre choice really important strategically (how do you use them in quali, how many saved for the race) and tactically (when in the race you use each).

Personally I thought it was blatantly contrived and artificial. Why not ask the teams to run with a large parachute hanging out the back of the car for ten laps, but give them the option to choose when they have to do it? It's not really a strategic decision if it's not *actually* necessary to change the tyres.

It was basically the reason Hamilton got 3rd/4th place rather than 7th, and you can see how grumpy that's made this thread already :)

Personally I thought it was blatantly contrived and artificial. Why not ask the teams to run with a large parachute hanging out the back of the car for ten laps, but give them the option to choose when they have to do it? It's not really a strategic decision if it's not *actually* necessary to change the tyres.

It was basically the reason Hamilton got 3rd/4th place rather than 7th, and you can see how grumpy that's made this thread already :)
The option is faster initially. A parachute is never faster.

But he continued and he was classified as 16th.

clasified but still retired (many retired drivers get still qualified if they retire late enough in the race, as long as they can say he crashed on his own mistake and it was the reason he eventually had to pull over (after IIRC 5 pitstops too), Ferrari should be in "clear water"

clasified but still retired (many retired drivers get still qualified if they retire late enough in the race, as long as they can say he crashed on his own mistake and it was the reason he eventually had to pull over (after IIRC 5 pitstops too), Ferrari should be in "clear water"
Yeah, I guess you're right.

Where does it say that McLaren protested?

When they announce the news on the TV, that's what I heard. But it could be wrong on detail since it was one of those flashing news. If McLaren didn't protest, the stewards screw up big time. Trulli was let through by McLaren. Trulli didn't deserve that 25s penalty. If Trulli wasn't third when safety car came out, the stewards should have pick it up and corrected the result before the podium because they pretty much finished under safety car.

Disgusted by Vettel penalty. Doesn't a driver have a right to defend their corner or what?

Alonso also says if diffuser thing goes ahead it will be a tough time for rest of the field.

Vettel was too honest because he admitted it and said it was his fault. He also said he was sorry to Mario Theissen, which puts him at a psychological disadvantage to Kubica the next time they go wheel-to-wheel.

Sepang may be a wash-out, the weather prognosis isn't looking good.

Vettel actually brake pretty early into that corner but his car just has no grip even for that.

Alonso also says if diffuser thing goes ahead it will be a tough time for rest of the field.
He's talking rubbish, if it gets the go ahead.... again, Renault, Ferrari and McLaren will have one fitted by the next race, heck I bet they've all got a fully designed and tested one already.

No point fitting it until they've exhausted all avenues and Brawns points are set in stone.

With 3 race wins, at the most, they will hardly be miles ahead of the field and if it does rain, driver talent will decide Malaysia which rules Button out of the victory anyway.

I think Button is good in the rain, his style is very smooth and that suits wet-weather running.

We don't know if the Brawn car is good in the wet, though. It may be a Ferrari spinner of 07-08 make.

He's talking rubbish, if it gets the go ahead.... again, Renault, Ferrari and McLaren will have one fitted by the next race, heck I bet they've all got a fully designed and tested one already.

No point fitting it until they've exhausted all avenues and Brawns points are set in stone.

With 3 race wins, at the most, they will hardly be miles ahead of the field and if it does rain, driver talent will decide Malaysia which rules Button out of the victory anyway.

According to Ferrari they will have one ready for Barcelone if everything goes as fast as they hope.
Just putting a new diffusor doesn't do the trick, in most if not all cases, it requires complete re-design of the rear end of the car

edit:
And regarding rain at Malaysia.. well, let's just say that Schumacher was claimed to be one of the best wet conditions driver ever, and this is what happens at malaysia to him:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ea2r31WTac

Driving those cars on dry weather tyres and it starts to rain = slippery as fuck.

I dont think there is a rule that says you have to tell the truth (and how would they check that?) but I suppose commonse sense would be that if the stewards made a decision on your explenation but that explenation turns out to be wrong/a lie than they could punished you for trying to screw them.

Yeah, but when the stakes are high, lawyers can make the most ridiculous claims.

I think Trulli did a great job coming from the pit lane to third and he deserves the place. If Hamilton lied, he should be deleted from the Australian result.

Maybe. But isnt the whole FIA ruling system pretty lawyer proof as far as results go? Toyota also dropped their appeal because rulings just say its impossible to fight steward decissions.

I don't know. I also don't know how the stewards conduct the meetings with drivers they call in. Are the drivers sworn in so to speak? Is it just a chat?

I don't know.

Back