Formula 1 - 2008 Season

If you want to improve overall real overtaking all you need to do is bring back slicks, cut off all the stupid wings on the car that destroy the aerodynamics for the car behind and lower them more to the ground again. Esentially take a early 90's car, bolt on a modern safety cockpit and you have your overtaking back.

Absolutely agree - but wernt you arguing the opposite a while back ?

Thats just stupid. Your being punished for actually being fast. Not that it will really matter if they did, Remember how MS could eat up the whole field in a matter of laps those few times he had to start from the back? thats just what will happen. 5 laps of fast cars overtaking the slower ones and that its back to normal. Also, what will happen if fast teams just do very slow quali? thats what I would do. Why go fast if you know that means you have to start at the back?

That would work for the first race, but if you read the article properly, Patrick Head is suggesting that they race in reverse championship order. So if you're leading the championship, you start at the back. I assume there would be no qualifying, and if you want to win the championship, you need to win races, and doing that would move you to the back of the grid for the following race.

In fact, to stop the first race just being a load of people stopped on the track during a first race qualification, they might go by the previous championship standings, or random lottery to determine the first race grid.

Heck, they've tried everything else (unsuccessfully), they might as well try this - it could be quite entertaining except on the outdated tracks like Monaco that if racing (rather than money) were the consideration, they would have dumped a long time ago.

Head does have a point. F1 lines up with the faster cars at the front and the slower ones at the back - why should we then expect the slower cars at the back to be able to overtake the faster cars at the front?

:LOL:

Really funny to see all you none Brits pretending Hamilton isn't good or should that be hoping he isn't good and it was a fluke.

Definite top 3 finish, either first or second I reckon, depending on how fast the Ferrari is in Kimi's hands.

Head does have a point. F1 lines up with the faster cars at the front and the slower ones at the back - why should we then expect the slower cars at the back to be able to overtake the faster cars at the front?

And how should we expect the slow cars to keep up front if they start up front? they wont. Its useless and besides you are faking competition because some of the faster, but not top teams might win. But they wont win because they are better, they will win because they are given a headstart. Its like running a olymphic 10km marathon but tell the slower ones they only need to run 5. I dont want to see people win like that. You win because you are the best, not because you are given a headstart.

And what's to stop the top teams deliberately going as slow as possible (for example stopping on a "quick lap" with some fault, only to cross the line 7 minutes later and registering a time) to get to the front.

I have seen a rule similar to this in action somewhere and it worked (I think it was touring cars and only with the top 10 cars), but that's only because you can barge past people, literally, without ruining your race and theirs. Try that in F1 and the shards of carbon fibre would ruin everyones race :LOL:

And how should we expect the slow cars to keep up front if they start up front? they wont.

we know they will get overtaken + thats the point cos we like overtaking ;)

And what's to stop the top teams deliberately going as slow as possible (for example stopping on a "quick lap" with some fault, only to cross the line 7 minutes later and registering a time) to get to the front.

nothing is stopping them, but why would they? their starting postion is based on championship standing not the time of a lap
or are you suggestion the top teams would finish a race last just to be on pole for the next race ?

:LOL:

Really funny to see all you none Brits pretending Hamilton isn't good or should that be hoping he isn't good and it was a fluke.

Definite top 3 finish, either first or second I reckon, depending on how fast the Ferrari is in Kimi's hands.

I think it's more of an issue of him not being able to handle the pressure well enough, I mean, we all saw what happened last year in Brazil, he had huge pressure on him, and it lead to many mistakes by him during the race.
Now with new season starting, even if he doesn't have that much pressure as in Brazil, there's still a lot, he has to show that he can beat the others, he can meet the expectations after great first year and so on, which might lead to more mistakes if he hasn't learned to control his nerves better, especially now when there's no TC to correct most of the small mistakes.

Let me be a little controversial:

1)Hamilton
2)Alonso
3)Räikkönen

or if it rains

1)Alonso
2)Hamilton
3)Button

:D

Damn, I am hyped and since the easter holiday starts this weekend, I will be able to watch the quali and race live. :)

Interesting to see you pick Alonso in the rain over Hamilton, despite the fact Hamilton showed he is the better of the two once he had got used to it having driven in his first wet race.

Interesting to see you pick Alonso in the rain over Hamilton, despite the fact Hamilton showed he is the better of the two once he had got used to it having driven in his first wet race.

Yes, but that is only one race and was with TC.

Alonso showed some real class when driving in the rain, like at the 2006 Hungarian Grand Prix when he went from 15th to 3rd, passing Michael Schumacher.

I rate Alonso as a better rain driver than Hamilton, but I rate Button higher still. I am just being realistic that the Honda probably is not yet up to scratch.

I think Hamilton will have the edge to begin with as it was only a season ago that he was driving without traction control, it will take those that have been driving in F1 for a few years a bit longer to adapt I think.

I think Hamilton will have the edge to begin with as it was only a season ago that he was driving without traction control, it will take those that have been driving in F1 for a few years a bit longer to adapt I think.

Well, he have had quite a lot of traction problems in the tests IIRC, at least in the beginning, so he's more or less in the same sea as everyone else with it (and there's other drivers too that were driving F2's or similar without TC before last season)

Maybe he was the one trying hardest to find the limit.

The other drivers you refer to aren't realistically in the hunt for the championship.

Maybe he was the one trying hardest to find the limit.

The other drivers you refer to aren't realistically in the hunt for the championship.

Didn't Kovalainen, in addition to Renault testing, drive F2's season before last season, too? Unless McLaren will put Lewis ahead by force, he could have just the same chances as Lewis, though that remains to be seen now that he has good performing (hopefully anyway) car

Where are all the LH haters now :LOL:

I know it's only first practice, but go Lewis.

Someone disable editting in this thread quick before the rapid "adjusting" of posts begins.

Back