Formula 1 - 2008 Season

Damn, I want the season to start. I want to see who will cope the best without launch control and I want to see if any of the new rule changes will result in better spectacles and I want to see how the new q3 session will be without the fuel burn phase.

The italians aren't a whole lot better... never seen it during races of any sort, but have heard of it in some football matches, especially champions league

It must not be obvious to the point of getting internation press for it or the Italians hide it well. Either way, Spain is known for this shit and doesn't do much to contain it. That's a problem.

Raikkonen continues to set a blistering pace

Kimi Raikkonen continued to lead the way on the third day of testing today in Bahrain. The defending champion completed 74 laps of the 5.412km circuit, recording a best lap of 1:30.455s, a tenth up on his Tuesday pace.

To put the time into perspective, the fastest race lap during the 2007 Bahrain Grand Prix was 1:34.067, while the fastest qualifying lap was a 1:31.359.

Read More: http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/080206170459.shtml

It must not be obvious to the point of getting internation press for it or the Italians hide it well. Either way, Spain is known for this shit and doesn't do much to contain it. That's a problem.

I just remember it from random interviews from african players that have played there...

Aaand of course there was the nazi salute from one of the roma players last year or two years ago.. i don't think it's as bad. Some of the italian guys i have known express some nasty sentement towards africans... but they pretty much express that toward anybody who isn't "italian" so it wasn't so much racism...

They really do need to do something, it's pretty sad this stuff still happens, i mean it's only 2008.

Do any of you guys watch MotoGP as well... i can't wait for racing to start, i'm so bored on sunday.

Do any of you guys watch MotoGP as well... i can't wait for racing to start, i'm so bored on sunday.

I used to be heavy into bikes till I got bored (thus the R1 in the name). Moto GP with traction control is rather boring to watch though. I actually prefer WSBK. The racing itself is much more entertaining.

I follow the MotoGP.

I see Rossi eventually ended first in practise, usually Stoner was first, so having Rossi first is a good thing, competition. :D

US

I follow the MotoGP.

I see Rossi eventually ended first in practise, usually Stoner was first, so having Rossi first is a good thing, competition. :D

US

I'll be at indianapolis race first turn after the strait away...

we'll be the dudes in ducati red, with a 30ft italian flag

McLaren bosses to face spying questions

McLaren boss Ron Dennis and F1 CEO Martin Whitmarsh are among four senior personnel from the Woking-based team who have been invited by Italian magistrates to answer questions over last year's spy affair, autosport.com has learned.

Although the FIA has drawn a line under the matter following a public apology from McLaren about their possession of Ferrari intellectual property in 2007, the legal actions underway in Britain and Italy are ongoing.

Read More: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/65029

Raikkonen fastest as Bahrain test resumes

Ferrari and Toyota resumed testing in Bahrain today after a two-day break, with reigning champion Kimi Raikkonen again setting the fastest time.

Raikkonen covered 66 laps during a day of trouble-free running on the 5.4km Sakhir circuit.

Felipe Massa's progress was halted by a hydraulic glitch midway through the afternoon, but he still completed 53 laps - the quickest of which was just over a tenth of a second slower than Raikkonen's benchmark.

Pos Driver Team Time Laps
1. Raikkonen Ferrari (B) 1:30.914 66
2. Massa Ferrari (B) 1:31.174 53
3. Trulli Toyota (B) 1:32.382 73
4. Glock Toyota (B) 1:32.762 75

Read More: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/65059

Alonso fan claims taunts were not racist

A Spanish fan at the centre of the racism storm involving Lewis Hamilton insists he did not intend to offend the McLaren driver or trigger an international furore.

Toni Calderon, one of the Fernando Alonso supporters who donned black boot polish on their faces and wigs in the Barcelona grandstands last weekend, has told a Spanish newspaper that the stunt was meant to be funny.

"We dressed up to celebrate Carnival," the daily Publico quotes him as saying.

"We wanted to give a touch of humour to Montmelo and have a laugh at the father of Hamilton, who is seen at all the races. We didn't have the slightest intention to laugh at the British driver for the colour of his skin or to offend anyone," Calderon added.

"The people on security at the gate started laughing and let us pass. In fact half the people who saw us thought we were fans of Hamilton. Lots of people took pictures of us."

Calderon, whose friends also wore the black costumes with the words 'Hamilton's familly' (sic) crawled on their t-shirts, says he is 'not a racist.'

"It has made me ashamed to appear like that in the British press," he explained.

"Also, as I am in the middle of the photo, I seem like the protagonist. This has angered me.

"If I had known that this was going to happen, I would never have dressed up. We haven't done anything wrong. I would not have any problem to explain it personally to McLaren and Lewis, who is a star."

News Source: http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/080208091337.shtml

Interesting commentary:

Everyone assumed that Ferrari's civil action would go away after the McLaren statement in December," he went on, "but from what I hear once something is started in Italy, it depends what the magistrate wants to do. The FIA has done all of its stuff, and that is fine, but what happens if a civil court finds that McLaren has no charges to answer. Or goes ahead the investigation and then clears McLaren of all charges. What are the legal implications of that?

Lewis off to flying start at Jerez

Lewis Hamilton led a McLaren 1-2 on the first official day of testing at Jerez on Tuesday.

In sunny but windy conditions in southern Spain, Hamilton set the pace by 0.2s from McLaren’s test driver Pedro de la Rosa as the pair focused on aerodynamic development of the MP4-23.

Robert Kubica was third quickest for BMW Sauber ahead of Kazuki Nakajima in the impressively rapid Williams, which showed no sign of the front wing mounting problem that caused the Japanese driver to crash at Barcelona.

Testing times from Jerez (February 12)

1. HAMILTON McLaren 1m19.102s
2. DE LA ROSA McLaren 1m19.287s
3. KUBICA BMW 1m19.539s
4. NAKAJIMA Williams 1m19.601s
5. PIQUET Renault 1m19.660s
6. HEIDFELD BMW 1m19.958s
7. WEBBER Red Bull 1m20.013s
8. ROSBERG Williams 1m20.029s
9. VETTEL Toro Rosso 1m20.105s
10. COULTHARD Red Bull 1m20.176s
11. BOURDAIS Toro Rosso 1m20.418s
12. BARRICHELLO Honda 1m21.133s
13. DI GRASSI Renault 1m21.200s
14. SATO Super Aguri 1m21.400s
15. LIUZZI Force India 1m21.553s
16. WURZ Honda 1m21.950s

Read More: http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=41767

Webber shows Red Bull’s pace

With the exception of Williams and Red Bull, it was the second day of testing for the teams today at Jerez and it was Mark Webber’s Renault powered RB4 that topped the timesheets with a best lap of 1:18.628s.

Impressive pace it was too from the Red Bull racer as he sliced off 0.474s from Hamilton’s fastest lap recorded yesterday and was a similar margin clear today from Nico Rosberg who also showed good pace in his Williams Toyota.

Kazuki Nakajima is proving his worth in the second seat at Williams in recent times as the Japanese rookie was third fastest today and just over a tenth slower than his more experienced team-mate.

Fan favourite Fernando Alonso clocked the fourth fastest time for Renault at a second off the ultimate pace while new team-mate Nelson Piquet posted the ninth fastest time.

Robert Kubica put in an impressive 116 laps in the BMW Sauber to set the fifth best time with Nick Heidfeld was three tenths slower and 11th on the timesheets.

McLaren Mercedes has both Lewis Hamilton and Heikki Kovalainen on hand today with the duo setting the sixth and tenth best times with David Coulthard, Sebastian Vettel and piquet in between.

Honda continued to work on its new RA108 package with Jenson Button and Rubens Barrichello 13th and 15th best with Super Aguri Honda racer Takuma Sato 14th.
Adrian Sutil brought up the bottom of the timesheets in his Force India Ferrari.

Testing continues tomorrow.

Jerez* - 13/02/2008
1 . M. Webber - Red Bull Renault RB4 - 1:18.628 (+ 0.000 ) - 72 laps
2 . N. Rosberg - Williams Toyota FW30 - 1:19.091 (+ 0.463 ) - 98 laps
3 . K. Nakajima - Williams Toyota FW30 - 1:19.215 (+ 0.587 ) - 91 laps
4 . F. Alonso - Renault R28 - 1:19.710 (+ 1.082 ) - 104 laps
5 . R. Kubica - BMW Sauber F1.08 - 1:19.829 (+ 1.201 ) - 116 laps
6 . L. Hamilton - McLaren Mercedes MP4-23 - 1:19.857 (+ 1.229 ) - 68 laps
7 . D. Coulthard - Red Bull Renault RB4 - 1:19.883 (+ 1.255 ) - 97 laps
8 . S. Vettel - Toro Rosso Ferrari STR2B - 1:19.889 (+ 1.261 ) - 114 laps
9 . N. Piquet - Renault R28 - 1:20.014 (+ 1.386 ) - 110 laps
10 . H. Kovalainen - McLaren Mercedes MP4-23 - 1:20.152 (+ 1.524 ) - 84 laps
11 . N. Heidfeld - BMW Sauber F1.08 - 1:20.201 (+ 1.573 ) - 109 laps
12 . S. Bourdais - Toro Rosso Ferrari STR2B - 1:20.536 (+ 1.908 ) - 76 laps
13 . J. Button - Honda RA108 - 1:21.147 (+ 2.519 ) - 85 laps
14 . T. Sato - Super Aguri Honda SA07 - 1:21.376 (+ 2.748 ) - 101 laps
15 . R. Barrichello - Honda RA108 - 1:21.710 (+ 3.082 ) - 58 laps
16 . A. Sutil - Force India Ferrari VJM01 - 1:22.244 (+ 3.616 ) - 86 laps.

News Source: http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/080213180553.shtml

Shame Ferrari wasn't there even though comparing test results is irrelevant when different teams are testing different things

Shame, so most of the grid is there and Ferrari and Toyota who tested last week aren't and now the results are irrelevant. Wow, that makes you the smart one I guess.

US

Shame, so most of the grid is there and Ferrari and Toyota who tested last week aren't and now the results are irrelevant. Wow, that makes you the smart one I guess.

US

Ferrari & Toyota tested last week on another track, though, not Jerez, but anyway, what I mean with irrelevant is that as long as you don't know which test program each team / driver is running that day, you can't compare the results of that day straight, as some might be trying to do quick qualifying laps while others are testing full load etc etc.
So even íf Ferrari and Toyota would have been there, comparing results would be only valid on runs that were run on same "settings" (trying qualifying laps, trying full race simulation laps and so on)

Whoops? I don't have original source yet, but some rumors on another forum said that Honda has found an undocumented feature from the ECU McLaren (or rather, McLaren's daughter company or something) is supplying to all teams this year. Apparently by pressing certain 3 buttons in right order the ECU changes a bit, putting the car to state a bit similar to now forbidden launch control

Whoops? I don't have original source yet, but some rumors on another forum said that Honda has found an undocumented feature from the ECU McLaren (or rather, McLaren's daughter company or something) is supplying to all teams this year. Apparently by pressing certain 3 buttons in right order the ECU changes a bit, putting the car to state a bit similar to now forbidden launch control

Launch control would be obvious to anyone looking at the start, and it's more than the ECU that's involved in launch control.

It would be pretty foolish to try and hide such a thing given that all the teams have access to the ECU and will no doubt have disassembled the code in there to interface it with their own systems.

Back