flOwer (PSN title)

I just unlocked the lawnmower and cut all of the grass, so I am very close to unlocking flash fires! Meanwhile my pawns are off collecting resources, mostly rock, grass and pollen to gather but I built a few mindwills so that they can generate electricity to my factories. :)

Anyway, wow, it was just as good as everyone said it would be, though I didn't like todays trailer. The controls are a little bit difficult at the beginning but when you start to think like "its built so you will be able to navigate" and you start to trust that, navigating is like a breeze.

It is very inexpensive for the unique experience you'll get.

Anyone know how they generate the grass and the [grass/wind] physics?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. I was pleased, but when I got to the last level, even though I suspected what was going to happen, I went 'wow, awesome'. What do flowers dream of?
Death to all humans!

This game is the antithesis of Killzone 2 (and all shooters).

So very soothing, surreal and free-spirited !
[size=-2]I shall go picnic this weekend.[/size]

EDIT: I won't make the same mistake twice (as with flOw). Will slow down my pace and travel everywhere in the fields while the game's still fresh. :D

If you leave the apartment alone for too long, you'll hear a pager and someone shutting it off. ;)

I had it running as a screensaver tonight, gives a nice "color" to the room :)

How do you make it into a screen saver ?

Just a remarkably beautiful game. I've been watching my wife play it for the last hour or so, and there are so many beautiful images i it.

I'm in audiovisual heaven!
First the Killzone demo, and now Flower. So beautiful.
How do you unlock the lawnmower and other things, flash fires, screensaver??

I just unlocked the lawnmower and cut all of the grass, so I am very close to unlocking flash fires! Meanwhile my pawns are off collecting resources, mostly rock, grass and pollen to gather but I built a few mindwills so that they can generate electricity to my factories.

Anyway, wow, it was just as good as everyone said it would be, though I didn't like todays trailer. The controls are a little bit difficult at the beginning but when you start to think like "its built so you will be able to navigate" and you start to trust that, navigating is like a breeze.

It is very inexpensive for the unique experience you'll get.

Anyone know how they generate the grass and the [grass/wind] physics?

Are you serious in the first paragraph? Those kinds of things are in the game??

The difference is with those products there are competitors who are offering similar features in a similar product for a different price, which is why it is factored into the product review. Generally you are also talking about a product like an iPod or Digital Camera, and differences of $50 or more, or in the case of automobiles, thousands of dollars.

Here? We are talking about Ten.

So again, I stand by my point. It is a non-issue when you're talking about the same amount of money people spend on movie tickets or value meals as their local burger joint. It should not be mentioned at all in the review.

Just because the dollar amount might be small doesn't mean it doesn't matter, tif here is still a significant (in terms of % ) price difference compared to other PSN games.

Considering that games are comparable atleast in some sense, the price difference is definately something that can impact purchase decisions. Its irrelevant if the dollar amount is small or large, what matters is the relative price to competeting products.

Going by your logic, if KZ2 was priced at say $80 bucks, should nobody that reviews the game mention it, because $20 is not a lot of money?

Huh, interesting game.

Best use of motion controls in a long time IMO. Feels so natural. And i didn't find it totally relaxing as some do. It calmed me only in parts and at other times I was stressed!

I'm really glad I purchased it but it's certainly not for everyone.

And i didn't find it totally relaxing as some do. It calmed me only in parts and at other times I was stressed!

If you missed a few flowers, circle back to get them. There is no time limit or anything. I got lost several times because I simply dashed across the field like the Cat Bus in Totoro. ^_^

Just because the dollar amount might be small doesn't mean it doesn't matter, tif here is still a significant (in terms of % ) price difference compared to other PSN games.

Considering that games are comparable atleast in some sense, the price difference is definately something that can impact purchase decisions. Its irrelevant if the dollar amount is small or large, what matters is the relative price to competeting products.

Going by your logic, if KZ2 was priced at say $80 bucks, should nobody that reviews the game mention it, because $20 is not a lot of money?

No.

Most PSN games are $10-$15. Flower is $10. It is within the acceptable price range for DL titles.

Some PSN games are $20, $30, even $40. Flower is $10.

I could understand if Flower was $30 and a game similar in content and scope was $10, but that is not the case.

My stance is not that "it's not a lot of money so it doesn't matter". My point is, it is a generally accepted price standard that downloadable titles on PSN and XBLA are roughly $10. I bet if Flower had a high score attached, they'd score it differently. It's stupidity.

If you missed a few flowers, circle back to get them. There is no time limit or anything. I got lost several times because I simply dashed across the field like the Cat Bus in Totoro. ^_^

Yep, that only highlights my stupidity further! No reason to be stressed at all; but that's just me.

I did circle around getting every last one. Love the freedom of movement.

As you sort of note, there is a simple pleasure in zooming through loads of flowers in a row. I love doing that.

I'm on an enforced break from it though. No doubt it'll have replay value (trophies!) but I don't wanna tear through it too quickly. Instead I'll goof around on the 'net.

Cheers.

I must have spent around 5 hours with the game now, got around 60% of the trophies and still miss some of the hidden Flowers. Probably another hour or two until I have 100% (getting through Level 5 without taking any damage sounds pretty challenging), so I'd say 10 bucks is actually a very acceptable price point.
Replay value is definitely there, and flying around is just plain fun, with or without a goal to work towards.
I'm loving it. It's such a welcome change of pace and scenery.

This game really reminds me of NiGHTS, which is one of the greatest compliments coming from me....

Great game, one of the best game "feelings" in a long time

Yap, I am saving the game for Feb 27th. I think it will provide a great counter-balance to KZ2.

Off topic, so you are tuna74. It was you who sent me a R2 game invite yesterday (or today). :oops: I couldn't remember who it was.

Off course, talking about NiGHTS again, maybe writing it flOwer is a bit of a homage?

Off topic, yeah I am tuna74 on PSN and play quite a lot of co-op R2. Join me sometime!

Aiight, I think I am ready now. My K/D ratio has improved somewhat. ^_^
I will join you (or betan or tha_con) in R2 whenever my work is not in the way.

Too bad flOwer doesn't have multiplayer :)

I was going to delay playing flOwer until KZ2 is released. Ended up finishing it in the Valentine's Day weekend when I was demoing the first level to my wife.

It's one of the rare soulful games I have experienced. The price is well worth it IMHO. It struck a chord with me in a few ways: We chose to live in the country area exactly because my wife and I have grown tired of San Francisco's drab. We loved the transformation of the landscape as the game progresses !

The third level (The windmill level) is "real". It's about 30-45 minutes from where I live. The experience of racing through the hills (full of swaying grasses T_T) is liberating. The windmills adds that much more realism to the rush (We drive up there a few times a year to pick fruits, visit friends and the wineries).

Thanks for the unique experience. I am now searching for some quote to replace my signature below ^_^

Back