flOwer (PSN title)

Reviews for just about any product I can think of, where the price is not fixed or standardized, price is ALWAYS discussed and used to determine customer value.

Sorry to talk about reviews in a game thread. I know the mods hate it.

Reviews for just about any product I can think of, where the price is not fixed or standardized, price is ALWAYS discussed and used to determine customer value.

Sorry to talk about reviews in a game thread. I know the mods hate it.

The difference is with those products there are competitors who are offering similar features in a similar product for a different price, which is why it is factored into the product review. Generally you are also talking about a product like an iPod or Digital Camera, and differences of $50 or more, or in the case of automobiles, thousands of dollars.

Here? We are talking about Ten.

So again, I stand by my point. It is a non-issue when you're talking about the same amount of money people spend on movie tickets or value meals as their local burger joint. It should not be mentioned at all in the review.

Well in today's economic recession, I don't find it unusual for them to mention the price of a downloadable game and call it out if they feel its over priced. To be honest, if it was $5 or so I would have definitely bought it. Now I'm thinking twice even though my salary pays for this several times an hour...just my two cents ;)

yes that was a stab at a pun...

/exits stage right.

Well in today's economic recession, I don't find it unusual for them to mention the price of a downloadable game and call it out if they feel its over priced. To be honest, if it was $5 or so I would have definitely bought it. Now I'm thinking twice even though my salary pays for this several times an hour...just my two cents ;)

yes that was a stab at a pun...

/exits stage right.

This isn´t supposed to be a review thread, but if something is out of the ordinary expensive i can understand that it can be mentioned and it might drag down the "score". However, Eurogamer is kind a saying that if money doesnt matters this game scores higher than if money matters :)

I have very little problems paying 15-20 bucks for a blu-ray movie, so 10 bucks for a 2 hour game doesn't seem like a bad deal to me. I'm downloading this as soon as I get home from work tomorrow. The joystiq review compared the later half of the game to the final area in REZ - that's all the reason I need to worship this game for the rest of the console generation really.

Last edited by a moderator:
I completely disagree with the notion that price should factor into a review score. Same can be said for Warhawk, which was also docked points from multiple review outlets due to it's price, yet to this day remains one of the most played tites on PSN.

So yes, I am very veyr serious, Eurogamer has a track record of saying and doing extremely stupid things in their reviews, and I don't expect them to change any time soon. They are all jaded to the bone.

of course price is a factor + should be mentioned

look at the reviews of the orange box (which true, was overrated) its price/value was prolly worth an extra 5% in reviews

I do agree though eurogamer are not the best place to get reviews from (gamecritics/gamerevolution are much better IMO)

While I agree that price is very much a factor, I don't really understand why it's an issue with a game like flower. You get between 90 and 120 minutes out of it by simply playing through it once, and if you want to collect trophies you can probably double that time span. If this was just another run of the mill dual joystick shmup I'd have a problem with the price, but just like Bionic Commando Rearmed, this simply seems a hell of a lor more sophisticated than the games that usually sell for 5 bucks.

of course price is a factor + should be mentioned

look at the reviews of the orange box (which true, was overrated) its price/value was prolly worth an extra 5% in reviews

I do agree though eurogamer are not the best place to get reviews from (gamecritics/gamerevolution are much better IMO)

So by this logic, Sonic Ultimate Genisis Collection should be getting 9s across the board, right? Afterall, the value is there, it's only $30 and has tons of games.

So by this logic, Sonic Ultimate Genisis Collection should be getting 9s across the board, right? Afterall, the value is there, it's only $30 and has tons of games.

That is really the problem with taking away points for a "high price" you have to add points for cheap games, and of course alot of points for very cheap games. Like the PSP pack on PSN with 14 games :)

And you should then start re-reviewing games every few months as the price drops :D

Value for money should be taken into consideration, but only in comparison to its peers. If a full priced game is good value for money it should be noted, if out of the ordinary. If a downloadable game or extra content is obviously bad value for money it should be noted.

The problem is how do you calculate value. That value for money is based on how much time you spend with something, and the value/quality of that time spent. This is totaly subjective and is different for everyone.

Eurogamer reviews tend to be the personal feelings of the specific reviewer which is why they sometimes get peoples backs up, but doesnt make the review wrong. Its a problem with reviews as a whole and how they should be done. Personally i like eurogamer, as long as you go into them knowing they are very personal opinions then your ok, i disagree with there points lots but it doesnt make there opinion wothless.

There should be some standardised review structure, since they are informing consumers purchase decisions, that leaves little room for personal prejudice in the game review. Those opinions should kept separate from the main article.

Why can't game reviews just review the game. All I want to know is how much fun the game is, whether it's better than x game or the price should be y is irrelevant. I read a review because I am already interested in the game not to be preached to by the reviewer!

I just beat the game. It was epic and breathtaking.

Fairly short though-- like Flow. Though collecting trophies should give it some re-playability unlike FlOw.

Just had a quick blast now as well. It's very... relaxing, just like flow. It doesn't feel like a game more of an exercise in meditation and flower arranging!

There should be some standardised review structure, since they are informing consumers purchase decisions, that leaves little room for personal prejudice in the game review. Those opinions should kept separate from the main article.

Why can't game reviews just review the game. All I want to know is how much fun the game is, whether it's better than x game or the price should be y is irrelevant. I read a review because I am already interested in the game not to be preached to by the reviewer!

I personally use review aggregation sites like meta-critic or those of amazon for media created reviews as well as punters reviews to determine perceived quality by others.

I consume/read/watch media created reviews from certain sources for their entertainment value. I may not agree nor disagree with the said review, but I usually find it interesting to hear other, specific peoples impressions. Be they outrageous such as Zero Punctuation or movie and food critics on television and print.

I don't understand why the world of computer games reviews results in people arguing about the reviews. My chief complaint about games reviews are those that give away too much information.

Added:
I also generally check consumer advocacy reviews such as those from Consumer Reports to tech enthusiasts sites such as roadbikereview.com tomshardware.com, etc for technical and value comparisons.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, I just played the first two flowers ... it's really quite lovely I have to say. Nice job, thatgamecompany

Back