flOwer (PSN title)

one

Unruly Member
Veteran
It's a PSN game from SCE, maybe the next title from the developers of flOw?

http://www.jp.playstation.com/tgs2007/ps3/titles/sce_flower.html

sce_flower.jpg

Some new tidbits on fl0wer by thatgamecompany!

Santiago described the project, which is the spiritual follow up to the popular PlayStation Network game flOw, as thatgamecompany's "first game outside the safety net of academia."

In an interesting move, the developers began with audio, commissioning two musical pieces that set the tone for the project. These tracks, which will likely not be included in the final product, help "get everyone on the same page... doing sample audio tracks to evoke the emotion [will] keep everyone’s work consistent." Before there is even concept art, let alone prototyping, the music "seeps into everyone’s subconscious."

At one point, according to Santiago, Flower "...had magic and abilities, but we ended up removing both of those features because they were just distracting the player from the feeling we were trying to get them to." The full title is expected to be released on the PlayStation Network in 2008.

Seems like you could play the wind and or the sun and or insects? Nice!:)

More at the link:
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=16414

Flower reviews up to now

1UP: A
gamezine.co.uk: 9/10
totalplaystation.com: 9/10
IGN US: 9/10
D+Pad: 4.5/5
Jolt: 90%
GameCinemaHD: 3.5/4
EuroGamer UK: 8/10
PSU: 6.5

Flower reviews up to now

1UP: A
gamezine.co.uk: 9/10
totalplaystation.com: 9/10
IGN US: 9/10
D+Pad: 4.5/5
Jolt: 90%
GameCinemaHD: 3.5/4
EuroGamer UK: 8/10
PSU: 6.5

Seriously, who rates anything out of 4? :D

Anyway, I dig these kind of games, especially when my brain is lazy and doesn't feel like thinking. flOw was so serene, yet awesomely enjoyable, I imagine this will be the same. I'll definitely pick it up.

Eurogamer mentions that the reason this is rated an 8 rather than 9 has to do with the price, which is a fair bit higher than Fl0w and you can 'finish' the game in about 90 minutes.

Eurogamer mentions that the reason this is rated an 8 rather than 9 has to do with the price, which is a fair bit higher than Fl0w and you can 'finish' the game in about 90 minutes.

popy-cock - the game is excellent. Deserves the price since there's a lot of replayability just to experience it again - plus it's a great screensaver :D

All due respect to Eurogamer, that's horse shit. Price should never factor into a review, IMO. It's up to the consumer to decide if they want to spend the money, the reviewer should tell us about the content, not if they think it's worth it or not.

"Well, we absolutely love this game, we had a ball, it was the greatest thing since sliced bread! But, we think it should have been cheaper, so we knocked it points".

Unacceptable, and unprofessional, though, that is in keeping with Eurogamer tradition (unacceptable, unprofessional behavior). I wouldn't be sad to see them go under.

All due respect to Eurogamer, that's horse shit. Price should never factor into a review, IMO. It's up to the consumer to decide if they want to spend the money, the reviewer should tell us about the content, not if they think it's worth it or not.

"Well, we absolutely love this game, we had a ball, it was the greatest thing since sliced bread! But, we think it should have been cheaper, so we knocked it points".

Unacceptable, and unprofessional, though, that is in keeping with Eurogamer tradition (unacceptable, unprofessional behavior). I wouldn't be sad to see them go under.

Are you serious?

Price shouldn't come into it anywhere in the review process. You either pay your money or you don't, what's that got to do with the reviewer?

Next they'll be adding or subtracting points based on the current weather and how the scrying stones fell in the chimp skull. And what colour the 754th pixel on the 937th row is.... Probably.

Are you serious?

Of course I'm serious. Why should someone knock the game points because it's what, $2 more expensive? Really?

It's Ten Dollars. 10. Honestly, for individuals who own these consoles that they paid $400+ for, $10 is a drop in the bucket for 90 minutes of entertainment, assuming they play it once, and never touch it again for the rest of their natural life.

A Blu-Ray disc will cost me $30 for 30 more minutes of entertainment. A DVD will cost me about $5-$10 more than Flower for an additional 30 minutes of entertainment.

$10 for something that you can complete in 90 minutes, and then revisit multiple times to unlock trophies or try different things is hardly a concern. In a console generation where we are used to forking over $60 to play a game, $10 is a god send.

There is absolutely no reason for them to bring up price, and then force their opinoin of worth upon the reader. Tell us about the game, if it's fun, and how it runs. You simply cannot say "well it's fun, but it isn't worth x amount of dollars". It's either fun or it isn't, the price plays no factor in that at all.

I completely disagree with the notion that price should factor into a review score. Same can be said for Warhawk, which was also docked points from multiple review outlets due to it's price, yet to this day remains one of the most played tites on PSN.

So yes, I am very veyr serious, Eurogamer has a track record of saying and doing extremely stupid things in their reviews, and I don't expect them to change any time soon. They are all jaded to the bone.

Back