Final Fantasy XVI (FF16) [PS5]

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
How are people not talking more about this? This is probably the best Final Fantasy or RPG in general that I have experienced in years.
The game ticks almost a perfect score. It is so well done and realised. The battle system is also probably the best I have ever experienced in such a game.
Well if this is what constitutes the 'peak' of what RPG combat is for you, I dont know what to say. You obviously just have a seriously different idea of what you want out of RPG combat than some others. I still much prefer party-based combat in my Final Fantasy games. I like the micromanagement of not just dealing with all the different character builds and progression, but also utilizing the synergies and strategic options in actual combat and whatnot. And beyond that, I love that you usually have this ragtag group of players together going on this adventure and you get all these interactions between them and whatnot. It makes it more charming and fun.

As for it being the best Final Fantasy in years, that's not a very high bar to step over.

That assumes that there is no interest in games that happen to be exclusives in general which cant be supported by any evidence.
Dude, the nature of this forum is gonna lead to most people here being PC enthusiasts. Tears of the Kingdom is one of the biggest releases of all-time, and very few people are talking about it here, probably for similar reasons.

Dude, the nature of this forum is gonna lead to most people here being PC enthusiasts. Tears of the Kingdom is one of the biggest releases of all-time, and very few people are talking about it here, probably for similar reasons.
To me, TOTK is simply too good to be talked about. I'm too busy getting addicted to it.

Oh and the technical discussion are more on the physics and object limits. As graphics wise, it's basically botw with a wee bit more flourish.

How are people not talking more about this? This is probably the best Final Fantasy or RPG in general that I have experienced in years.
The game ticks almost a perfect score. It is so well done and realised. The battle system is also probably the best I have ever experienced in such a game.
The game isnt pushing technically the visuals to new levels, but it does what it does just right thanks to the amazing execution and art direction.
Its beautiful to play and to watch. The sound and acting is some of the best too.

Maybe not everyone agree. I started the demo, didn't even finish it. Boring as f***. I don't judge the full game on that, but it didn't make me want to see or now more about this world. Not impressed by the visuals, the audio, nothing. And I enjoyed FF15 and FF7 remake.

Its performance is god awful in the 60fps mode.

Played the Performance mode on VRR tv, while it’s not ideal, it’s the best option as 30fps is no go and especially with the awful motion blur in this game.
There are some judder here and there during exploration but nothing intolerable and during combat framerates rarely drop below VRR range, except for the last boss fight

Great demo, hopefully performance issues get fixed in final build

framerates rarely drop below VRR range
PS5 hasn't implemented LFC to virtually widen the vrr range?

Edit.
Googled around and PS5 didn't have system level LFC. But each game developer can implement their own LFC on their game.

Last edited:
I spent an hour with the demo this morning and really liked it. I've struggled to get into Final Fantasy games in the past because I'm quite picky when it comes to combat mechanics. The only FF game I got into was XII Zodiac Age because the Gambit system was fantastic. It felt like an MMO but where you have precise agency over party members exact 'decisions' and tactics.

Everything about XVI, setting, tone, story, grabbed me out of the gate. The combat seems decent but I'll persevere with the demo because I can see myself spending a lot of time with this game and not being frustrated by it.

What does even "nature of this forum" even mean?

Well if this is what constitutes the 'peak' of what RPG combat is for you, I dont know what to say. You obviously just have a seriously different idea of what you want out of RPG combat than some others. I still much prefer party-based combat in my Final Fantasy games. I like the micromanagement of not just dealing with all the different character builds and progression, but also utilizing the synergies and strategic options in actual combat and whatnot. And beyond that, I love that you usually have this ragtag group of players together going on this adventure and you get all these interactions between them and whatnot. It makes it more charming and fun.

As for it being the best Final Fantasy in years, that's not a very high bar to step over.
RPG games never follow the same formula. Especially when it comes to fighting mechanics. Take Witcher, Zelda, Final Fantasy 12, Final Fantasy 7 Remake, Final Fantasy 15, Panzer Dragon Saga, Fire Emblem and you have different mechanics all with their own charm. Which one you prefer is a matter of taste. How well the gameplay is designed regardless what route is chosen is another.

How high is the bar for you regarding previous Final Fantasy games isnt really an argument that says much about FF16.

Here's why some players plan to boycott Final Fantasy 16​

"It would seem like the best way to send a message to Square would be to vote with your wallet.
Some Final Fantasy players have revealed they plan to boycott Final Fantasy 16 due to the development team's "continuously questionable response" to the lack of diversity in the game."
😆
This is the art direction they chose. Why force diversity that serves nothing except for our personal issues?

As much as I am anti-racist and pro LGBT rights, its getting ridiculous how this "inclusivity" is ideologically forced without any real purpose.
We can just as well create countless of "minority" labels or groups and complain constantly about everything.
I.e where is the Native American? Where is the Asian guy? Where is the eskimo? Where is a guy who identifies as a female dragon or a tiger or a dog (yeah we have those)? Why arent all the tenths of newly created "gender" concepts included? Why is there a gay or lesbian person and no non-binary? Why isnt there a drag queen? Why is my language not included and my sworn enemy's language is in? Why isnt anyone from India in? Why arent there Jews in it? Why are all the good guys beautiful and the bad guys are ugly? Where are the fat protagonists, why so much body shame? Where are the handicupped people and if yes why arent they protagonists?
We can be complaining about anything about every game.

Last edited:
So apparently the producer of this game was out and about saying it wouldn't need a day one patch and now its getting a day one patch ?

I just don't get why you would do a press op saying that in this day and age. Devs should be working up till the last moment and beyond to get the best possible game to us

That assumes that there is no interest in games that happen to be exclusives in general which cant be supported by any evidence.
There's an explanation.

Generally, exclusives are first party game. First party games are obviously going to be exclusive to the platform(s) of the company that is making the game.. that is to be expected. Thus, all the people who would typically be hyped by those game, and discussing them, would be eager to do so. Meanwhile, 3rd party games, which have been multiplat before, by a company which typically puts their games out on multiple platforms... becoming exclusive or timed exclusive, invariably results in alienating a percentage of people who would have otherwise been hyped for this. There's lots of PC gamers who would probably be talking about this, but they know it's coming somewhere around a year later.. so they're just playing and talking about other things... like say Diablo 4.

That said... I think there's plenty of hype for this game and I expect it to do fairly well. 🤷‍♂️

Even as a timed third party exlusive, the franchise is huge enough and the userbase is large enough to have a lot of people talking about it. The forums are just less active than before.

Even as a timed third party exlusive, the franchise is huge enough and the userbase is large enough to have a lot of people talking about it. The forums are just less active than before.

Forum population is obviously a factor, but really, if you can't play it, why would you get hyped for it?

I'm hyped for it and I've talked about it, but I'm not going to really gush over it until it's possible for me to play it. And I've talked about it more because I really like Yoshi P.

I guess, if you're seeing a lack of hype maybe ask why PS5 players aren't hyping it so much? Xbox and PC players currently have no real reason to talk about it.

I'm hugely looking forward to this game, but it's pretty much a non-factor for me since I won't be able to play it until the PC version comes out. I am hoping it reviews well and is received well, however. :)

Regards,
SB

Forum population is obviously a factor, but really, if you can't play it, why would you get hyped for it?

I'm hyped for it and I've talked about it, but I'm not going to really gush over it until it's possible for me to play it. And I've talked about it more because I really like Yoshi P.

I guess, if you're seeing a lack of hype maybe ask why PS5 players aren't hyping it so much? Xbox and PC players currently have no real reason to talk about it.

I'm hugely looking forward to this game, but it's pretty much a non-factor for me since I won't be able to play it until the PC version comes out. I am hoping it reviews well and is received well, however. :)

Regards,
SB
You have rephrased what you already posted and I have already replied, You are capturing again those that have no access, and I simply pointed that the amount of people who have access at launch is large.
Now regarding why those that have access to it arent talking much about it here, I gave a simple more reasonable explanation. No reason to continue this discussion more than it makes sense to.

You have rephrased what you already posted and I have already replied, You are capturing again those that have no access, and I simply pointed that the amount of people who have access at launch is large.
Now regarding why those that have access to it arent talking much about it here, I gave a simple more reasonable explanation. No reason to continue this discussion more than it makes sense to.

You must be confusing me with someone else. :) I never talked about this before. :p

Regards,
SB

Back