Final Fantasy XVI (FF16) [PS5]

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
I liked FFXV and 7 remake, but in both cases I dislike the combats. It looks even worse in XVI. I want to enjoy my décision and have a gameplan, give me back turnbased or time based action please (I know it won't happen).

As already said before, the engine looks dated already, so I hope it's a very long/dense aventure.

Cids vault or whatever it was called looks like a hub for all the side quests which would be unfortunate. I really wish developers would stop taking inspiration from any aspect of Ubisoft game design.

Depends on what you mean by 'modernized'.

There's a lot of pretty good JRPG's still being made in a more 'classic style', but none with the sort of presentation values of mainline Final Fantasy games. Which is really the big shame here. It's not that us fans of classic-style JRPG's aren't being served anything, we're just not getting the best dishes anymore like we used to. We're now just kind of more second class citizens, especially by Square's perspective, only deserving of lower budget efforts.

Still, I'd definitely recommend Octopath Traveler II and Chained Echoes very heavily, as somebody already suggested. And beyond that, there's still quite a lot to enjoy that fit most of your criteria: Persona 4/5, Bravely Default series, Trails in the Sky series, Triangle Strategy, The World Ends With You(and sequel) and Yakuza Like a Dragon(for something different).

Xenoblade series is one of my absolute favorites, but the side quest stuff can be very generic at times(though also quite good at others, particularly in XC2 and 3). Still, these are the games that I feel best capture the magic and epicness of classic Final Fantasy games, albeit with very different structure and combat systems for the most part.
By modernized I mostly meant visuals and production values. It's much more fun completing side quests for abilities when they manifest in something visually spectacular rather than a higher number being displayed on a generic looking attack.

I only have a PC so the switch games aren't available to me. I have the first Octopath Traveler in my library, is it recommended to play through that first?

I liked FFXV and 7 remake, but in both cases I dislike the combats. It looks even worse in XVI. I want to enjoy my décision and have a gameplan, give me back turnbased or time based action please (I know it won't happen).

As already said before, the engine looks dated already, so I hope it's a very long/dense aventure.
But the games still had a gameplan. Especially 7 the gameplay mechanics blended amazingly real time action with the turned based planning. These mechanics were especially tested in the arena. It required pre planning of skills and materia according to the enemies and how you organized the attacks and skills played a major role during the actual combat.

But the games still had a gameplan. Especially 7 the gameplay mechanics blended amazingly real time action with the turned based planning. These mechanics were especially tested in the arena. It required pre planning of skills and materia according to the enemies and how you organized the attacks and skills played a major role during the actual combat.
True but it's not the same feeling as turn based, not the same gameplay either. I just prefer turn-based / time-based in my RPGs. Having say that, FF is more of an action game with a real story now. Which I can like too ( i still love FF15 even if it was not very well received at the time)

Ff7 has some of the best gameplay of ff for the last 20 years

I have the first Octopath Traveler in my library, is it recommended to play through that first?

It's a decent game, but it's not nearly as good as the second one, a lot of mixed views on the first. It's a slow burn that is longer than it needs to be.

You don't have to play the first one to enjoy or understand the second one.

If you play the first one, think of it more like the developers experimenting with what they want to make. The second one takes the lessons they learned from it and make it better although it's still not perfect.

Regards,
SB

So much complaining. I personally cannot wait. It looks like a game that will actually be FUN to play and not like a usual FF game - which I like as a series anyway, but wouldn't call 'fun' since, well, FFX maybe?

Maybe we are forgetting how even FF7R looked on PS4?? Are we really forgetting or are we thinking of the PS5 release? Cause FF7R on PS4 looked like ass, sorry. Except for the characters, which of course looked great, some environments looked like a bad PS3 game.

So much complaining. I personally cannot wait. It looks like a game that will actually be FUN to play and not like a usual FF game - which I like as a series anyway, but wouldn't call 'fun' since, well, FFX maybe?

Maybe we are forgetting how even FF7R looked on PS4?? Are we really forgetting or are we thinking of the PS5 release? Cause FF7R on PS4 looked like ass, sorry. Except for the characters, which of course looked great, some environments looked like a bad PS3 game.
I would say that was down to PS4 hw limitations rather than the game. On ps5 and PC the texture issues are fixed and the game looks much better

One issue I had while watching some gameplay videos in the open areas with vegetation and trees are the fact they seem to be static and don't move.
Being used to see in more openworld titles having vegetations, grass and trees move.. Just a minor detail but I wished it has even just basic animation to make the world a bit more alive.
I also agree that with too much VFX on screens and special effects during combat it could be a bit chaotic to read whats going on on screen.

it looks to be a technical downgrade than Forspoken but a huge polish and art direction upgrade than Forspoken.

Compared to ff14. It's all upgrades.

At least from the videos

Good, non-spoiler article about what the press got to see and play as well as interviews with 3 members of the team. Makes me excited for this. It's like a single player FFXIV except with a different story and focus (grimmer and darker and more mature). Basically, a huge amount of focus on storytelling and world building.

Might be the first FF game in ages that I attempt to buy at launch (if it releases on Steam and isn't a timed EGS exclusive game).

Regards,
SB

Back