Final Fantasy XVI (FF16) [PS5]

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date

Good, non-spoiler article about what the press got to see and play as well as interviews with 3 members of the team. Makes me excited for this. It's like a single player FFXIV except with a different story and focus (grimmer and darker and more mature). Basically, a huge amount of focus on storytelling and world building.

Might be the first FF game in ages that I attempt to buy at launch (if it releases on Steam and isn't a timed EGS exclusive game).

Regards,
SB
I haven't enjoyed a FF since 6 and none of the media around this game has done anything to draw me in. Also with the way Square ports on the pc are you might wnat to wait a bit to purchase it to make sure it runs well

looks like forspoken x dragon's dogma (and forspoken itself already looks like FFXV mixed with dragon's dogma)

I haven't enjoyed a FF since 6 and none of the media around this game has done anything to draw me in. Also with the way Square ports on the pc are you might wnat to wait a bit to purchase it to make sure it runs well
I've been a longtime FF fan and think the run from FF4 to FF12 is probably the greatest run of game development genius in video game history where nearly every game was just a total classic, but everything since has been a huge disappointment. They've completely lost it, and I see no reason to think FFXVI is going to change that, even though many are ultra hyped about it. Yes, it has that more 'mature/dark' sort of theme that I agree is appealing, but they've not just abandoned turn-based combat and all, they've also now abandoned party-based combat, which I really think was an even more critical pillar of what made FF games so good.

It's now just some solo action game with RPG elements. I'm sure the game can still be good, and I hope it is, but I'm also just immensely upset at how classic Final Fantasy is basically officially dead, as far as Square Enix is concerned. Yes, we'll still get remasters and lower budget spiritual successors, but no more top line, AAA level classic Final Fantasy.

I feel from some comments I've read in interviews, the company in general had a massive overreaction to some dumb criticism from idiots about 'JRPGs' and they've never been able to let it go.

I've been a longtime FF fan and think the run from FF4 to FF12 is probably the greatest run of game development genius in video game history where nearly every game was just a total classic, but everything since has been a huge disappointment. They've completely lost it, and I see no reason to think FFXVI is going to change that, even though many are ultra hyped about it. Yes, it has that more 'mature/dark' sort of theme that I agree is appealing, but they've not just abandoned turn-based combat and all, they've also now abandoned party-based combat, which I really think was an even more critical pillar of what made FF games so good.

It's now just some solo action game with RPG elements. I'm sure the game can still be good, and I hope it is, but I'm also just immensely upset at how classic Final Fantasy is basically officially dead, as far as Square Enix is concerned. Yes, we'll still get remasters and lower budget spiritual successors, but no more top line, AAA level classic Final Fantasy.

I feel from some comments I've read in interviews, the company in general had a massive overreaction to some dumb criticism from idiots about 'JRPGs' and they've never been able to let it go.
The old JRPGs were great because they were inspired by ultima and wizardry and then they started to stray too far from it. With FF7 the games were just too cgi'ish for me and i bowed out.

what a delightful surprise this game is. the demo, unlike Forsepoken, wreak's with polish and beautiful execution. The story telling is top notch too

How are people not talking more about this? This is probably the best Final Fantasy or RPG in general that I have experienced in years.
The game ticks almost a perfect score. It is so well done and realised. The battle system is also probably the best I have ever experienced in such a game.
The game isnt pushing technically the visuals to new levels, but it does what it does just right thanks to the amazing execution and art direction.
Its beautiful to play and to watch. The sound and acting is some of the best too.

Back