Final Fantasy XIII [PS3, X360]

I'm almost angry at the story now. Characterization and writing is mostly decent, but the plot is nonsense thorugh and through.

To start with the kicker: ENDING SPOILER:
your party keeps reasserting that they will refuse to do Dysley's bidding, they will not destroy Cocoon, they will not go to Eden's district, and they will not attack Orphan. BUT THEN THEY TURN AROUND AND DO EXACTLY THAT. They go to Eden's district, and attack Orphan. They do exactly what Dysley wanted them to. If it weren't for events in the final cutscene magically turning things around, THE PARTY WILLINGLY DESTROYS COCOON, for all they know.

Ok, so this is a rollercoaster ride. These locales have all been designed, and then a game was stitched around to connect them all, to line them up on a string. Most RPGs, including Square Enix RPGs though try, to varying success to depict motivation and reason for whatever happens next. FF XIII on the other hand starts and ends virtually every chapter with a deus-ex-machina long-distance travel to the next random, unplanned location. And then the characters tell themselves that they have no idea why they ended up in this place, but it's probably best to just "get moving", wherever that is.

Why does the party split into groups of two (where the combat isn't that much fun, mind)?
Who are all these airship dudes and what do they really seek to accomplish with their random acts of benevolent attacking?

Chapter ten is a veritable slap in the face.
"We've probably been put here as part of our training. Let's get moving!"

I can see through your fabrications, Square. All too easily. This is disappointing, even by genre standards.

There are other bad chapters, for non-story reasons. Who thought it was fun to play through chapter 4, the two-hour long scrapyard at night, back down to two party members and the training wheels on the combat system also still firmly engaged.
Is there anyone who enjoyed chapter 8
"The City Of Dreams", where you do mostly nothing, catch a Chocobo, and then there's an Eidolon fight
? Not me, I would not say.

Chapter 11 is indeed the best part of the game, but that would be despite the story bits, not because of them. When you think about why you're there in the first place
([strike]because your ship happened to crash there[/strike] to seek Oerba, to maybe find a way to remove the brands, yeah right)
and the big unanimous "whatever" when that turns out it won't happen ... that doesn't feel as if it was worth the trip at all. Well ok, doing the quests is good fun, but please don't tell me it was the story that kept you going.

Then there's
chapter 12, the F-Zero track, where the random airship dudes devise more random actions to fit into their unknown schemes, after a chapter opening scene that had such over-the-top action that I found it actually offensive
. Also again, ENDING SPOILERS, think about why you would
when you decided to visit Eden, because you think that helps with your plan to not meddle with Eden in any way, you use your airship, which you steered yourself, to crash-land your infamous outlawed ass in the middle of public festivities, instead of landing at the front door. WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT. Chapter 13 was much cooler to play through anyway.

So I'm counting at least three cases (entire chapters) of bad filler that could easily have been cut to improve the overall impression.

Ugh.
*sigh*

Well the combat is fun, let me tell you that.

Last edited by a moderator:
This game is freakin amazing and I've never played a Jrpg before and this is my first FF game ever. The combat stratagy are enless and there are so many different combination to try. I'm at the end of chapter 10 and loving it. Does it get better from now? I hope so. I can't believe there were a couple of reviews who score it a 5. Its almost to a point retardation for the sake of it. Anway can someone please recommend a jrpg that is similar to this?

^^FFX is very similar (same team behind it), although obviously not anywhere near as pretty. I don't know about many others as I'm not a big jrpg-fan. I just love the FF series because of its lavish production values and insane amount of polish.

^^FFX is very similar (same team behind it), although obviously not anywhere near as pretty. I don't know about many others as I'm not a big jrpg-fan. I just love the FF series because of its lavish production values and insane amount of polish.
I agree, the overall feel is similiar.

The really great JRPGs are on PS2 (Dragon Quest VIII, Final Fantasy X). This gen hasn't been so blessed yet, though if you have an Xbox 360, you could probably go with Lost Odyssey. Or try White Knight Chronicles.

FF XIII's combat system is pretty unique, even within the series. Don't expect to find another title "just like that" easily.

I really like FFXII actually. From the exploration, the battle system and the more grounded storyline to the rather non-stereotypical characters, FFXII was a welcome change in my eyes.

I am not a fan of the story. I'd love the game more if I can find
Lionheart.
. I heard it's in Chapter 12, but I have passed the
tower, cleared the Fal'Cie
. Haven't seen it yet.

I think they should give us a more palatable way to customize and tear down our weapons. I dismantled a weapon for tryout, but I lost too much value. It stopped me from toying with the whole weapon experiment aspect.

I like the production value too. I think if they are less ambitious with the story, it'd be a win for the team.

I am not a fan of the story. I'd love the game more if I can find
Lionheart.
. I heard it's in Chapter 12, but I have passed the
tower, cleared the Fal'Cie
. Haven't seen it yet.

Seems to me like you are still in Chapter 11. That thing in the tower is not the final boss of chaper 11. Lionheart waits in the very first tresure orb in chapter 12. If I remember correctly it's literally just a few steps away from the Ch.12's starting point.

Well the combat is fun, let me tell you that.

I can understand your disappointment, but generally all Final Fantasy titles (read: All JRPGs really) are paper thin and have terrible characters / plot / etc.

Sometimes it's okay for a game to just be a game, I think at least. I really enjoy the combat and stream lined stuff in the game, so missing out on towns and other stuff really doesn't bother me too much.

Seems to me like you are still in Chapter 11. That thing in the tower is not the final boss of chaper 11. Lionheart waits in the very first tresure orb in chapter 12. If I remember correctly it's literally just a few steps away from the Ch.12's starting point.

Yes, you're right. I got Lionheart. Damn the game is long.

I am now officially confused by the story. And the Chapter 12 cutscene is gorgeous !

I can understand your disappointment, but generally all Final Fantasy titles (read: All JRPGs really) are paper thin and have terrible characters / plot / etc.

Sometimes it's okay for a game to just be a game, I think at least. I really enjoy the combat and stream lined stuff in the game, so missing out on towns and other stuff really doesn't bother me too much.
No, this is a new low. I can ignore rote, cliche stories like a champ, I can look past cryptic pseudo-deep gibberish, but FF XIII's story is really hard to bear. It contradicts and breaks itself way too much. Characters' actions fundamentally contradict their stated intent at every turn.

I'd rather have Disgaea levels of hogwash where crazy demons just keep doing crazy things because they are demons, and crazy. At least that's consistent unto itself.

The really great JRPGs are on PS2 (Dragon Quest VIII, Final Fantasy X). This gen hasn't been so blessed yet

Agree with the PS2 sentiment, though honestly I think FFIX was sleeper awesome with its throw-back themes, and of course I have to give some respect to FFXII... though the game felt only 1/2 or 2/3 finished by the time the ending rolls around.

For this generation, though they are not in the same vein, I have to give massive respect to Demon's Souls and Valkyria Chronicles as being two outside the box non-standard JRPGs that get the job done.

Now that my broken PS3 drama is the past rather than the present, I am about to start playing FFXIII. To be honest I am not all that excited! But, we'll see what we see. :)

I think non-JRPG gamers are not going to have much context to compare to, though; certainly certain reviews carry more weight than others with me. I've been on the JRPG bandwagon since FFI and Dragon Warrior I (which I got free in the mail for being a subscriber to whatever that publication was that predated Nintendo Power).

tha_con said:
can understand your disappointment, but generally all Final Fantasy titles (read: All JRPGs really) are paper thin and have terrible characters / plot / etc.

As a general rule, it is the exact opposite - JRPG's are loved because they have great characters / plot / etc. It is on the matter of freedom where they are generally maligned - though my favorites have always given plenty of freedom as well. Not Ultima levels (the old-school RPG for those that know), but decent amounts.

One word of advice. Be patient. You have a long journey ahead.

On a related note, I am &%*$%*$ stuck in Chapter 12 first boss. Got killed right after the first stagger. Checked out youtube this morning. I shall return.

One word of advice. Be patient. You have a long journey ahead.

If this game takes less than 50 hours for me to consider myself through with it, I'll consider it a disappointment. My favorite JRPGs have taken me ~80-120 hours to feel I'd struggled as far as I could for whatever extra item or side quest. One thing I haven't gotten a sense of really is the scope of side quests and bonus plot... but I guess that's for me to discover now. Patience is not an issue for me with JRPGs whatsoever, but at the same time I'm no fan of tedium. We'll see what FFXIII's about.

You're in luck. I'm 49 hours and stuck. ^_^

Haven't completed all the side quests (Only completed 10 or so).

If this game takes less than 50 hours for me to consider myself through with it, I'll consider it a disappointment. My favorite JRPGs have taken me ~80-120 hours to feel I'd struggled as far as I could for whatever extra item or side quest. One thing I haven't gotten a sense of really is the scope of side quests and bonus plot... but I guess that's for me to discover now. Patience is not an issue for me with JRPGs whatsoever, but at the same time I'm no fan of tedium. We'll see what FFXIII's about.

Just a note here - the first 10ish or so chapters can be done in about 20 hours. The game seemed really fast paced to me considering the number of chapters.

On the other hand, I have already spent over 40 in chapter 11 alone and have yet to move on. I am still trying to figure out something. I just realized that I had skipped an entire area (which explains why I thought all the creatures were so blasted hard :p) because I couldn't find the third stones quest.

I have a feeling you can make this game take a very short time, or make this game take a very long time. It depends on what you do once given the freedom to explore.

Chapter ten is a veritable slap in the face.

It's funny that you say that. I stopped playing last week just near the end of Chap 10, and have had basically no desire to go back. I think the game pretty much lost me...

I went in prepared for 1/2 a linear game, and 1/2 open, which sounded perfect. What I ended up with is 35 hours of complete linearity... it just got old. There's not much point to an RPG if it's on rails, you may as well be playing a level based action adventure game with mediocre combat* and lousy story.

* Mediocre cause the boss battles are great, but everything is is pretty boring.

It's funny that you say that. I stopped playing last week just near the end of Chap 10, and have had basically no desire to go back. I think the game pretty much lost me...

You should probably know by now though that Chapter 11 is worth the few extra hours you may have to put into Chapter 10 ... (at least, so I'm reading from everyone else here and elsewhere. I'm watching Heroes season one with my wife on bluray, and that together with the kid and work is getting in the way of gaming, leaving me stuck in Chapter 5 ... )

You should probably know by now though that Chapter 11 is worth the few extra hours you may have to put into Chapter 10 ... (at least, so I'm reading from everyone else here and elsewhere. I'm watching Heroes season one with my wife on bluray, and that together with the kid and work is getting in the way of gaming, leaving me stuck in Chapter 5 ... )

Ya I know, and I probably will go back. It was just, "enough is enough" at that point.

Yeah, I took a short break from the game when I was in Chapter 10-ish too. Got quite a few errands done (*beeping* online driving test to clear my traffic violation. T_T).

For me, it's better to do the game at a leisure pace rather than trying to cramp everything together. Even for Chapter 11, it took me a good hour or so to get into it.

Chapter 11 is sounding like the 'free form' point in the game, maybe like the airship freedom of movement phase of things from FF X, when you're ostensibly supposed to be making your way towards Sin? Of course no spoilers here, I take my RPG game experiences quite seriously! ;)

But the combat in this game is horrendous, I will add that just as an aside. The lack of control over party members, even if desired, as well as this bogus lead-member-death=party-death thing is simply surreal from a JRPG standpoint. But ah well, I'll enjoy it for the ride it is.

Back