Few questions for a Sandy Bridge build

Discussion in 'PC Purchasing Help' started by Berek, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Berek

Regular

I'm waiting for Sandy Bridge to come out next week for a new build and had questions regarding compatibility with current hardware. To note, I'm looking at a decent build but nothing crazy expensive...:

1) For Sandy Bridge, can I buy any DDR3 memory now, and if so, what's the best CAS and MHz I should look for, especially if I want to do a bit of overclocking (but nothing beyond air-fan).

I'm looking at the Gigabyte H67MA-UD2H mobo currently, though I'll consider ATX if things don't fit, especially with my ATI 6950 video card.

2) Is 8GB enough to run a major game (Metro 2033 for example), Photoshop CS5 (large 600MB PSD editing), bunch of Firefox tabs (30+), and misc. smaller programs in the background?

Or should I take the plunge and just get 16GB and be done with it, considering prices seem low at the moment? I know 16GB is overkill, but it's either that or 8.

3) I was thinking of purchasing the Coolermaster Hyper 212, which looks to be compatible with SB, but I'm also considering a mATX mobo... is this a good cooler and will it fit in Mid-Tower mATX offerings?

4) I'm waiting for Intel's 25nm SSDs, as I'm tired of the system crawling when copying a bunch of files between drives. Disregarding cost, is it a good time to buy one (looking at the 300GB) for an OS/System/Major Games drive purpose?

The rest of the components I already have, including a Antec Earthwatts EA500 500W, though I could swap that out for a spare OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ700MXSP 700W. I also have 4xHDs, 1xDVD+RW, and a couple of external USB peripherals that add a bit to the power envelope.

I'll be building a home system and looking at Sandy Bridge in particular for work as well. Thanks for any advice!

2. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

Berek doesn't sandy bridge use tri channel ram on higher end boards ? Which means 12 gigs is possible ?

4) I don't think you want to make a single SSD your main drive for all that fun stuff. Why don't you get a boot drive now. The 120 gig intel can be had for under $200 and same with sandforce 2 cards. Just put oyur OS and most used programs on it and try and keep some space free. Keep your games on a regular drive for now and when the new drives come out get a game drive. You'll save money and have the components last longer

3. I.S.T.

Veteran

No Sandy Bridge uses triple channel RAM yet. If Sandy Bridge launches on the X58 chipset, it might.