Feasibility of an upgradeable or forwards compatible console *spawn*

It would be genius.Sony would add two gens customer bases and would make launching for the new gen less risky.Ps4 could run games at 720p and then you could see an increase in graphics in detriment of resolution.Ps4 would run them.at 1080p 60fps or 4k 30fps.

As I quoted Ito before, it's a no brainer, a natural progression. In addition to VR support, the 4K UHD BD format is DOA without a new console.
Palmer Luckey said they wouldn't change the base spec for Rift-ready PC for a while, with a GeForce GTX 970-class or better GPU in an upgraded console they can match Oculus Rift in terms of visual quality.

Last edited:
Sony has put out more Remasters of last gen games , some only 1 or 2 years old when they released on the ps4.

MS put Halo MC collection out which comprised of games almost 14 years old at the time to games a few years old in a single $60 package

The fact is Sony has been sucesful covering up their lack luster first party titles by having these remasters. Its an obvious selling point.

It's because of that, that offering to buy the game once and get a better experience later on with a new hardware sku is a reason to stick with your current console company.

As for publishers, in movie business selling older titles is a huge boon financially. I would wager it be the same game devs. Yes they want to sell you call of duty 25 for $60 bucks , but I'm sure they wouldn't mind selling you call of duty 5 for $10. With digital stores becoming more popular a publisher can continuely sell older games.

Sony has released several relatively recently released games as remasters bc of the large number of 360 owners who have switched to the PS4 and never experienced the games in the first place. If MS was doing better job of convincing 360 owners to upgrade to XB1 rather than buy a PS4 we'd probably see less of this.

Sounds a bit far fetched to me, but if true, I wonder what hardware it'd use? The only GCN based candidate for PS4 level graphics at 4K in a console level power envelope would seem to be Polaris 10. But a Polaris 10 on an APU this soon after it's discrete desktop launch for a console that's probably going to have a relatively niche appeal?

Seems pretty unlikely.

EDIT: and then there's the fact that PSVR doesn't support 4K....

Sounds a bit far fetched to me, but if true, I wonder what hardware it'd use? The only GCN based candidate for PS4 level graphics at 4K in a console level power envelope would seem to be Polaris 10. But a Polaris 10 on an APU this soon after it's discrete desktop launch for a console that's probably going to have a relatively niche appeal?

Seems pretty unlikely.

EDIT: and then there's the fact that PSVR doesn't support 4K....
Nor Oculus or Vive.
If true HBM2 should be in or it would be obsolete in months. Besides,wasnt greenland with zen cores APU rumored to be HBM2?.
After Vega with HBM2 GPU improvements will remain small for a looon loooong time.
We have to take into account Sony would like to differenciate both consoles in the market,so a 599 Eur price or more would be even logical for a PS4+.It will reach the 300 mark once PS5 launches and PS4 stops being supported.

My guess is that this 4K/VR PS4 will be little of a let down. Shrunk SOC + Integrated VR box for the audio + maybe a new scalar of some sort for 1080p to 4K. We'll have to hit 10nm before someone can offer 4K games at a console price and in that form factor.

Nor Oculus or Vive.

True, although I'm not sure of the relevance.

Besides,wasnt greenland with zen cores APU rumored to be HBM2?.

Will Greenland feature 4x PS4's GPU performance? Or roughly 8x AMD's current top end APU? It would be nice but I'm not holding my breath.

After Vega with HBM2 GPU improvements will remain small for a looon loooong time.

I don't see why. If it's the introduction of the new memory technology then that didn't hold true when the 4780 introduced GDDR5 and if it's the node change then you only have at look at the 780Ti vs TitanX 18 months later to see what improvements are possible on the same node. If anything, removing the bandwidth restriction could allow some amazing progressions in GPU performance over the next few years.

Sony has released several relatively recently released games as remasters bc of the large number of 360 owners who have switched to the PS4 and never experienced the games in the first place. If MS was doing better job of convincing 360 owners to upgrade to XB1 rather than buy a PS4 we'd probably see less of this.
I'm sorry but that's not really possible to prove. Sony released these remasters because they wanted to make money. They also make pretty good fillers for gaps in 1st party software.

It seems kind of weird blaming the remasters on former Xbox 360 owners. A good number of gamers own more than one console per generation.

I'm sorry but that's not really possible to prove. Sony released these remasters because they wanted to make money. They also make pretty good fillers for gaps in 1st party software.

It seems kind of weird blaming the remasters on former Xbox 360 owners. A good number of gamers own more than one console per generation.

here is a direct link:

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...d-games-serve-ps4-owners-who-never-had-a-ps3/

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...ers-that-didn_2700_t-own-a-playstation-3.aspx

Yoshida's comments were pretty straight forward..... 40% of PS4 owners did not own a PS3 and never experienced some of the IPs Sony decided to remaster. I'm sure there were other considerations but they are on the record with this explanation.

So it would be what, faster GPU but mostly an upscaler?

And HDMI 2.2 to play 4K Blu Ray discs?

IMHO

They need to keep it simple, and not to make people think that PS4K will get exclusive content. They need to look at this like a PSP v2 which doubled the RAM . It enabled faster load times for some games, but in the grand scheme of things it was just a better-to-use variation of a same console. PS4K will bring more substantial gains, but concept needs to remain the same.

This needs to happen:
#1 Make absolutely sure that all software now [and when PS5 is out for crossgen games] target base PS4. No fucking exceptions. Ever. PS4K is there to make PS4/PSVR games prettier, nothing else.
#2 Users cannot perceive any OS/library differences between PS4 and PS4K. When they upgrade from PS4 to PS4K, it needs to feel like they just moved from one PS4 to another. Everything should work the same [same OS, same library of games, same services [ok DVR/remoteplay/shareplay/twitch stream quality can get better :D]].
#3 Make PS5 a substantial bump over PS4/PS4K when the time is right for its release.

I guess that if they just keep things the same like in current CUH-1200 [chassis C] console, and just remove current APU and plop in custom 14nm Polaris APU, they should get a nice bump with not much HW/SW effort. Will they need to add more ram [there is now 8 empty spots on the bottom of mobo :)] or make the ram faster so that 4K rendering is easier?

I feel I ll be very disappointed with my PS4 purchase if a better more powerful PS4 hits the market later :p

I bought close to launch for $400. If they come out with another $400 console in November 2017, hell even November this year, I would be okay with it.

However, most of the PS4 installed base may not feel the same way.

Probably unlikely they can jump to 4K games this year for $400.

I bought close to launch for $400. If they come out with another $400 console in November 2017, hell even November this year, I would be okay with it.

Gamers will bitch and moan and get used to it because iterative product improvements is how everything else in the world works: CPUs, GPUs, RAM, monitors, TVs, mobile phones, tablets, washing machines, cars.

True, although I'm not sure of the relevance.

Will Greenland feature 4x PS4's GPU performance? Or roughly 8x AMD's current top end APU? It would be nice but I'm not holding my breath.

I don't see why. If it's the introduction of the new memory technology then that didn't hold true when the 4780 introduced GDDR5 and if it's the node change then you only have at look at the 780Ti vs TitanX 18 months later to see what improvements are possible on the same node. If anything, removing the bandwidth restriction could allow some amazing progressions in GPU performance over the next few years.
I meant that increment in nodes will take longer.Of course there will be gpu iterative increments like Kepler>Pascal,but the next big jump in perf/watt is far away.
Anyway i am not sure Sony should go on with the APU route.4 zen cores plus Polaris 10 bespoke GPU without any DP computing would be quite future proof. I am sure Jaguar cores and its memory subsystem are more of a bottleneck to get great frame rates than the current GPU in PS4.
The more cost would not be a problem as Sony have to differenciate new version with price.

Last edited:
I think a PS4 that plays games better than the current PS4 is a terrible idea. A 4K Blu-ray/Netflix etc compatible PS4 might work (I might even buy one), especially if it has SSD and similar improvements.

I think a PS4 that plays games better than the current PS4 is a terrible idea. A 4K Blu-ray/Netflix etc compatible PS4 might work (I might even buy one), especially if it has SSD and similar improvements.
Why?.I would buy it.If you are ok with games at 30fps you still would have your PS4, but those who prefer 60fps would have another choice.

That makes sense and I'm inclined to think this is what they are actually doing and the journalist are just getting the details behind the story wrong. 4k games are bit of a ways out for now....

As long as the specs are beefy, not some half assed gtx 970 level touch up, give me a next gen AMD gpu and I'll be all in day zero:). Personally this will be a much better investment than your typical iphone iteration if the specs are intended for 4k.

Back