Falcon 4.0: Micropose reacquired IP for Falcon series

pharma

Legend
New Falcon 4 series anticipated. Very popular flight sim back in the day with squadrons playing against each other.
May 4, 2023

Wait... MicroProse still exist? This is great for the flight sim community.

I remember playing Falcon 3.0 on the Amiga and really liking it. I'm not sure I want to play a combat sim of a fifty year-old aircraft now though..

I remember playing Falcon 3.0 on the Amiga and really liking it. I'm not sure I want to play a combat sim of a fifty year-old aircraft now though..
That was just the basic 'Falcon' on Amiga and ST, effectively port of Falcon AT considered as Falcon 2.0.

Falcon 3 added much more realism to avionics and flight, and 4.0 of course way further.

LoTR meme variation:
One does not simply "play" Falcon.

You really need to learn to fly, not just play.

Later Falcons apparently had quite big theater of war.
Sadly never played them past game on Amiga.

Nice, but I'd prefer a re-make of WW2 Fighters.

The sound of the Merlin engine on the Spitfire or P-51D Mustang is just too soleful to give up.

Nice, but I'd prefer a re-make of WW2 Fighters.

The sound of the Merlin engine on the Spitfire or P-51D Mustang is just too soleful to give up.

For me, it was the F4U Corsair (that distinctive sound that gave it the nickname "Whistling Death") or P-38 Lightning. It also helps that the bent wings of the F4U and twin booms (tails) of the P38 gave both a really distinctive look.

Germany had a twin boom reconnaissance plane (FW 189), but that's not nearly as sexy as the P-38 Lightning which up until the P-51's appearance had the longest flight distance and highest speed for all allied fighters.

Yeah, I keep saying this, but I'd love remakes of Dynamix's Aces of the Pacific and Aces over Europe.

Unfortunately due to how Sierra Online's IP portfolio was acquired piecemeal by multiple publishers, I'm not sure who owns the IP for it. I'm hoping that ABK owns it and MS picks them up and then maybe allows Asobo studio (hell or even someone else) to remake those games. An Aces game that looks like Flight Sim 2022? /drool.

Regards,
SB

That was just the basic 'Falcon' on Amiga and ST, effectively port of Falcon AT considered as Falcon 2.0.
It's the idea of flying a fossil that isn't appealing. Are EA going to bring back F-18 Interceptor next? Another fifty year old aircraft.

Crazy right..

It's the idea of flying a fossil that isn't appealing. Are EA going to bring back F-18 Interceptor next? Another fifty year old aircraft.

Crazy right..
Eh? So would you dismiss a simulation of F-16 Block 70 as well - first flight 4 months ago, with F22/35 level AESA radar and updated avionics - i.e. the most modern gen 4 fighter there is?

Eh? So would you dismiss a simulation of F-16 Block 70 as well - first flight 4 months ago, with F22/35 level AESA radar and updated avionics - i.e. the most modern gen 4 fighter there is?
Yes.

Actually I remember playing and realized the difficulty level was quite high as most of the cockpit/radar switches actually functioned as in a real F16. Used to spend a lot of time at Frugal's World reading threads posted by actual fighter pilots whose involvement in the game was playing in online squadrons formed by forum members.

Actually I remember playing and realized the difficulty level was quite high as most of the cockpit/radar switches actually functioned as in a real F16.

Potentially the modernized variants would be somewhat easier to use. Note the word "use" instead of "play" here, again.

Falcon 4 was probably my first experience with the now common ship it fix it later mindset. Except back then getting the patches was a little more work. I think I got 1 from a magazine disc, then later got one from a bbs while primarily looking for apogee/id shareware and then it was the first game orientated thing I used an IRC file bot to get. That last one was supposed to be the one that fixed all the dynamic campaign up and some other stuff, but I can remember it still having some issues but no chance of remembering the specifics now.

So on the other hand, a plane you would not refuse to fly in a simulation is ... ?
I wouldn't mind an F35 simulator, as long as it included the carrier 'B' variant. Something new. Perhaps even the F-22 as I think it remains one the coolest looking aircraft ever made. I've flown the F-16 in Falcon, the F-15 in Strike Eagle (C64) and the F-18 (Amiga).

I get a modern simulator on modern hardware is going to be vastly better than any of these but I'm not a big combat simulator fan, so it would need to be something new for me and balancing the stealth capabilities to reach targets undetected would add a nice dynamic.

I wouldn't mind an F35 simulator, as long as it included the carrier 'B' variant. Something new. Perhaps even the F-22 as I think it remains one the coolest looking aircraft ever made. I've flown the F-16 in Falcon, the F-15 in Strike Eagle (C64) and the F-18 (Amiga).

I get a modern simulator on modern hardware is going to be vastly better than any of these but I'm not a big combat simulator fan, so it would need to be something new for me and balancing the stealth capabilities to reach targets undetected would add a nice dynamic.
Sounds like your golden era was about 20-25 years ago with DID's EF2000+ add-ons and especially Total Air War, which was far from serious simulation (still more complex than those 80/90's relics) but quite fun letting you both coordinate the air war from AWACS/JSTARS and jump into cockpit of any F22 within the theatre of operations.

I understand your point, Microprose's F19 Stealth Fighter on ST is one of my all time favorites precisely due to the low observability aspect; Total Air War felt a bit like its spiritual offspring. Actually EF2000 was even closer to F19 as it included strike missions as well, flying low along Norwegian coastline to attack Russian-invaded northern airfields, or to kill the Mainstay on its loop above enemy territory to blind their air defense.

IMO, more realistic F22/F35 sims might be pretty boring with mostly just BVR missile strikes and returning home...

Back