fafalada --- your opinion of APEX (Xbox racer)

TTP said:
Goldni said:
WOW! Very impressive. Now THIS is what the Xbox should be able to do. If it plays as good as the screens..man look out. Especiailly at 60 fps. Who's doing it?

Problem is this game runs and will run at no more than 30fps. Devs admitted it in an interview/preview on an italian website (http://www.nextgame.it/html/articolo.php?id=3205)

Now, I wont translate all of it, but it says the 30fps limit is due to the desire to add anti-aliasing and other cool effects.

hmmm 30fps, hmmmm
yeah, I think it can get away with it, a la waverace. Still, 60 would have been the icing on the cake.
Still, ID rather have 60 than 30 with AA anyday

Well it took a while for me to finally say this but I think this is the first game on Xbox that the Gamecube and PS2 could'nt pull off graphically. I mean without stripping down the graphics too much. Not dissing the XB either..this game blows away every game on the system graphically that I've seen..sans Fable. What's the history on these guys? What have they done in the past? I may have to get a steering wheel for my Xbox if not just for this game.

It looks like 2003 may be the year of the racer. With this and F Zero. Also Maro Kart and Ridge Racer Next. PG2 and another Rallisport.

I've always felt that a game needs a consistent framerate, not so much a fast one, although it's certainly welcome if it's fast too. GT2 on PSX had a below 30fps framerate but it was consistent so it made the game perfectly playable. 30fps should be fine.

What kind of game is this? Is it a GT type game or more of an arcade racer?

Burnout 2 rocks. There are no better arcade racers out there at the moment on any system. Well, at least until Fafalada's one shows up
Precisely :)

Well it took a while for me to finally say this but I think this is the first game on Xbox that the Gamecube and PS2 could'nt pull off graphically.
I think Wreckless is a much better example of that. It used every trick in the book that NV2A supports. Although it also runs at 30FPS.

What happen to all the Xbox people who kept chanting, "I'd rather have a game locked at 30 fps, than 60 with inconsistent rates." Now they wish for 60, if they could drop the AA. Before all of that, they were gloating they had AA in a game and nobody else did. Seems like they endlessly change what they want based on what's in the game in question.

Me, personally, I think the screenshot looks great. For once I can say, that looks like a well-done Xbox game, graphics-wise.

Seems like they endlessly change what they want based on what's in the game in question.
Seems to me somebody thinks people who play Xbox have a hive mind...

Did you consider the possibility that some Xbox gamers want different things from others?

Glonk said:
Seems to me somebody thinks people who play Xbox have a hive mind...

No, that couldn't possibly ever be the case. They are superior in every possible way, including the console they have chosen. :rolleyes: Take it easy there- just making an observation. I did say the game looked good, didn't I?

PC-Engine said:
I think the game should include an option to turn off AA and run at higher frame rates.
What are you stupid? Is the Xbox a PC or a console. Removing graphical features for gameplay is not a console thing. Go play your PC.

JacksBleedingEyes said:
PC-Engine said:
I think the game should include an option to turn off AA and run at higher frame rates.
What are you stupid? Is the Xbox a PC or a console. Removing graphical features for gameplay is not a console thing. Go play your PC.

I think everyone knows who's the stupid one around here. Go play SSBM and come back to me when you've been enlightened. ;)

think it is weird that PC Engine can't stand screen tearing, but is willing to let a little aliasing go unchecked.

Um why is it weird? I hope you know that many Xbox and GCN games have aliasing, heh unfortunately the "jaggies" trademark belongs to the reigning king that is the PS2 :p

Yeah, jaggies are very "successful" and thus Sony has an exclusive deal on them until 2005. ;) *cough*

Anyways.. 30/60fps framerate matters depending on the game or genre in question.

For example.. racing games and platformers are generally fine with 30fps.. while FPS games and fighting games (among others) greatly benefit from a solid 60fps.

30fps is fine with me as long as it never slows down. TD:LM on DC was a perfect 30 and I still love to play that game.

Yeah a solid 30 fps like Waverace Bluestorm is great. One would swear that game was running at 60 fps. The thing is is that it's so smooth and solid..that's why it can be 'gotten away with' so to speak.

BTW, Does anyone know from what fps FZero GCN is running at (or supposed to)? I've downloaded tons of movies of thats sob and I'd swear Sega's AV has got it at a blazing 60fps or damn near it. It's possibly gonna be the fastest racer ever. The videos are just insane. Can't wait for that one. Word is Japan will get it 1st qrt and US Spring.

randycat99 said:
What happen to all the Xbox people who kept chanting, "I'd rather have a game locked at 30 fps, than 60 with inconsistent rates." Now they wish for 60, if they could drop the AA. Before all of that, they were gloating they had AA in a game and nobody else did. Seems like they endlessly change what they want based on what's in the game in question.

Me, personally, I think the screenshot looks great. For once I can say, that looks like a well-done Xbox game, graphics-wise.

Ive never asked for 30 with AA
My opinion != all xbox owners opinions

Wel the mpegs are refreshing at 30 but that does'nt represent what the game is running at. The actual gameplay "looks" to be running pretty darn fast. For example, My Metroid prime movies are clocking at 31 fps but everyone knows the 'actual' game is a speedy 60 fps.

Hoo boy those movies are nice. Graphically this game looks to be the goods, but I'm more concerned about how the cars handle as well as the amount of tracks available in the game. Also from what I've seen in those movies it looks like Apex won't be offering any real-time damage, which is a shame but not a critical omission.

And it's like Dural said, a solid 30fps is fine (especially when a game is looking this good) because as LeMans on DC showed us, a locked 30fps racing game can still be a very enjoyable experience.

Not that I'm making excuses, 60fps is always preferable.

Back