Fact: Nintendo to release HD console + controllers with built-in screen late 2012

Not really a reliable 'rumour'.

His statement about it being less powerful than the 360 contradicts info not just from the more reliable sources and first rumours surrounding early dev kits but from comments some developers have made.

He's going to need to confirm his credentials with the mods like others do to be taken seriously.

I'm quite positive that the claimed "wiiu is less powerfull than x360" is just bollocks, i expect despite all the speculation around 3GHz 3 or 4 core (12 or 16 thread) IBM POWER7 based CPU, customized for Nintendos needs and easily more powerful than Xenon, along with DX11-generation Evergreen/Juniper or at minimum Northern Islands/Turks level GPU which would still be running circles around Xenos.

Of course it's entirely possible I'll just end up getting dissappointed, but I think people are just expecting too low due what Wii had in it, and some people are using this to their advantage on spreading misinformation.

[and I'm still thinking this generation everyone will provide Full HD games, and the fight won't be on level of graphics or AI or physics, but the actual gameplay and interaction - started by Wii and then copied onto PS3 and XB360 in more or less customized ways - I believe the actual controls will be the thing that defines who ends on top this time - Considering that Wii U seems to move more towards "traditional" controls with the pad being main controller, I believe MS is the most likely top dog with next evolution of Kinect, but Nintendo has the pad as "black horse" which could surprise even though it's a step away from where they went with Wii - Sony, I think, will copy both, trying to get people buy Vita as WiiUPadClone(TM) and transform PSEye & Move to new KinectlikePSMovEye(TM) instead of offering anything even remotely their own idea (yes, I'm aware that Kinect shares a lot with PSeye)]

Last edited by a moderator:
WiiU > 360.

I'm more curious about XBox next and PlayStation 4...
I'd prepare for a heavy disappointment about them.

WiiU > 360.

I'm more curious about XBox next and PlayStation 4...
I'd prepare for a heavy disappointment about them.

Heavy is exaggerating it I think. I am inclined to take the Vita as a benchmark for the lowest type of jump we can expect - the PSP to the Vita difference is still very big, even though Vita uses very 'conventional' components.

The people who are most likely to be disappointed are people blindly focussed on PC hardware and comparing consoles with it, I reckon. ;)

I'd say the fact that Nintendo's Wii U strategy is to attract some core gamers and put themselves in line for next gen ports indicates otherwise.

Their half-hearted attempt to appeal to hardcore gamers with PS3/360 ports is less than convincing. Congratulations, you've caught up to 6 years ago and added a casual-centric tablet controller, Nintendo. Forgive me for being skeptical about their commitment to the cutting edge. We've seen zero evidence that it goes beyond that.

I don't give a rat's arse what the GPU is if the controller looks like what they say its going too look like with that gaudy LCD screen in the middle, then I won't be playing Modern Warfare 6 and Fallout 4 on the Wii U, that's for sure!!!!

Enough with the gimmicks, I just want games with cinema quality 1080p graphics using standard dual-analog stick xbox 360/ps3 style controllers.

And no bleeping low res textures or jaggies... next gen every game should be 720p with 4x AA minimum and this should be easy to achieve even using ultra high quality art.

Their half-hearted attempt to appeal to hardcore gamers with PS3/360 ports is less than convincing. Congratulations, you've caught up to 6 years ago and added a casual-centric tablet controller, Nintendo. Forgive me for being skeptical about their commitment to the cutting edge. We've seen zero evidence that it goes beyond that.

How about you wait until E3 to see what software they have for the Wii U? It's not like we know much about the console in that regard expect for some confirmed ports and a couple 3rd party exclusives.

And I said Nintendo are attempting to get core gamers, not hardcore gamers. They don't need to be cutting edge for that, they just need to be a noticeable step up from current gen and to provide the software that market wants.

I'd say the fact that they are keenly listening to 3rd party input on the development of the final hardware and the bits of info we got on the Nintendo Network making it seem like it could actually be a very good online system bodes well.

Oh, and one last thing. What makes the tablet casual-centric? Is it that you lack the imagination to see the many things it can do for core games? Or do you think that unless something looks exactly like the controllers we've been using for 15 years it isn't good?

And I said Nintendo are attempting to get core gamers, not hardcore gamers. They don't need to be cutting edge for that, they just need to be a noticeable step up from current gen and to provide the software that market wants.
That's potentially true, but if MS and Sony release much more powerful machines at the same price bracket, they'll offer those same core gamers a better experience (unless the tablet does wonders).
Oh, and one last thing. What makes the tablet casual-centric? Is it that you lack the imagination to see the many things it can do for core games? Or do you think that unless something looks exactly like the controllers we've been using for 15 years it isn't good?
The fact that someone can't imagine good uses for the tablet doesn't necessarily mean they have a lack of imagination. It could be there aren't many uses. We had a thread about motion controls on sixaxis, that threw up lots of possibilities, and none really happened. We can present ideas on how the tablet could be used, and at the moment it's not looknig particularly exciting. If you can shed some light on how having a screen on your lap will revolutionise playing games on the TV, feel free to enlighten us. ;) Personally I see the tablet screen as a break from the big-screen experience. Like the DS, the second screen offers no more functionality than having one larger screen divided in two, other than the touch input. As a touch interface, applications will be limited in typical code games (shooters, sports, fighters) as it lacks immediacy and flexibility. Short of putting customised button layouts on it, how can it help with an UE shooter or Street Fighter? Certainly it has useful application in strategic interfaces, such as handling inventory and drawing tactics for a sports team, or moving a radar or map from the TV to the tablet, but those things aren't massive game changes that couldn't be implemented in convnetioanl controls. They'll just be a bit more convenient.

The fact that someone can't imagine good uses for the tablet doesn't necessarily mean they have a lack of imagination. It could be there aren't many uses. We had a thread about motion controls on sixaxis, that threw up lots of possibilities, and none really happened. We can present ideas on how the tablet could be used, and at the moment it's not looknig particularly exciting. If you can shed some light on how having a screen on your lap will revolutionise playing games on the TV, feel free to enlighten us. ;) Personally I see the tablet screen as a break from the big-screen experience. Like the DS, the second screen offers no more functionality than having one larger screen divided in two, other than the touch input. As a touch interface, applications will be limited in typical code games (shooters, sports, fighters) as it lacks immediacy and flexibility. Short of putting customised button layouts on it, how can it help with an UE shooter or Street Fighter? Certainly it has useful application in strategic interfaces, such as handling inventory and drawing tactics for a sports team, or moving a radar or map from the TV to the tablet, but those things aren't massive game changes that couldn't be implemented in convnetioanl controls. They'll just be a bit more convenient.

This is different from Wiimote/Move though. It seems like a more natural evolution of current controllers . Not much different from when more than two buttons were added to controllers or shoulder buttons or dual analog sticks.
It's kind of annoying to see gamers start whining as soon as something changes when past evolutions are what gave us the controllers we currently have.

As for what I can see the screen doing for games, besides the obvious such as AR, HUD and menus and such things on the screen, here are a few examples:

- Ghost Recon online's CrossCom 2.0 which is similar to devices soldiers use. In the game you can use the touch screen as a command centre to communicate with team mates, lay out strategies, guide drones and call airstrikes.

-More intuitive interface for customization of weapons/characters .

- Ubi's Ghost Feed idea where even if you are not playing and the TV is off or being used you can use the controller to track and communicate with friends and match-make.

- Console MMOs and RTS (Nintendo will shows us with Pikmin 3) games don't have to be crappy. In Skyrim for example, no need to pause to change spells or equip items.

- For fighters, you could have two people playing on the tv while a spectator could watch it on the tablet. He could turn on input display, frame data, etc. and maybe even change camera angles and special effects to make some dynamic looking replays. Possibly allow for in game brackets and things for tourney play. Could be pretty useful for commentators . Then there are Harada's ideas for Tekken Wii U such as Level editing in real time, etc.

-Batman AA's detective mode or Aliens Colonial marines radar on the screen.

- asymmetric cooperative & competitive gameplay. Game Master gameplay like in Killer Freaks.

-It could also work well alongside the system's online system. Video chatting, more intuitive way to browse the system, get notifications, messages, check leaderboards/rankings and such while the console is in standby, blah blah blah..

So many things can be done to enhance gameplay and user experience.

I think the online aspect is very interesting. Having the WiiU controller sitting online with the lobby on whenever you have the console on would be amazing IMO. You could be doing anything you want in the house while you wait for your friends to come online, or while you wait for replies to messages or game requests. If they send you a message or game request you don't have to have the TV set to your WiiU to see it, you don't even have to be in front of the TV. Where ever you are the controller would make a noise/flash and instantly you can see the message ect. It would make online gaming much easier and more immersive IMO.

For instance with my 360 I used to play in an online FIFA 11 league. I'd be trying to get my next official game sorted but I hated having to sit and wait for the other player to get themselves online. Sometimes I'd arrange a game for a certain time and they'd be late. I'd often turn the TV over while I waited or go and do something else for a while and have to keep coming back/turning over to check. I'd sometimes miss quite a few opportunities to get the games played when I didn't switch it back in time to catch the player coming online. Having a mobile WiiU screen in front of you were ever you are in the house with the consoles online lobby on it solves that problem, IMO it would be a fantastic feature.

For instance with my 360 I used to play in an online FIFA 11 league. I'd be trying to get my next official game sorted but I hated having to sit and wait for the other player to get themselves online. Sometimes I'd arrange a game for a certain time and they'd be late. I'd often turn the TV over while I waited or go and do something else for a while and have to keep coming back/turning over to check. I'd sometimes miss quite a few opportunities to get the games played when I didn't switch it back in time to catch the player coming online. Having a mobile WiiU screen in front of you were ever you are in the house with the consoles online lobby on it solves that problem, IMO it would be a fantastic feature.

Couldn't that be achieved for free via a phone app?

Something similar could be done with a phone app, but has it/will it? Also having the ability to just start the game there and then on the controller would make the feature even better and isn't something you can do with your phone.

Something similar could be done with a phone app, but has it/will it? Also having the ability to just start the game there and then on the controller would make the feature even better and isn't something you can do with your phone.

I thought the XB360 and WinPhone tie-in already included controlling the console to start up games. :???:

Thanks for that definitive info Al. So the answer is that functionality is already there for the MS Live ecosystem.

I would have said this waas a definite if not fo rthe fact Brit and Al have confirmed it. But that'll be tied to Windows Phones mostly, I imagine (currently it's just Windows phones) so it won't be very useable. Sony could go that route via Android, but I suppose Sony's track record is so poop that if it does happen, it'll be 2 years before the end of the generation!

But smartphone coupling is something that should be tried to offer touchscreen controls to consoles for 'free'.

Yeah the consoles could be doing a lot more with smart phones. Consumers electronics, like receivers and Blu-Ray players, have iOS apps. now, because they want to attract the lucrative demographics which buy those devices.

I would have said this waas a definite if not fo rthe fact Brit and Al have confirmed it. But that'll be tied to Windows Phones mostly, I imagine (currently it's just Windows phones) so it won't be very useable. Sony could go that route via Android, but I suppose Sony's track record is so poop that if it does happen, it'll be 2 years before the end of the generation!

But smartphone coupling is something that should be tried to offer touchscreen controls to consoles for 'free'.

Actually Microsoft is apparently bringing XBox LIVE to Android & IOS too
http://www.businessinsider.com/xbox-live-games-ios-android-2012-1

Which could mean that any smart phone could work with next XBox

Back